Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yo Trent! How Far Back Do You Go In Trenton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yo Trent! How Far Back Do You Go In Trenton?

Used to be a well known pizza shop that had a wood-fired pizza oven. I don't know the address but I remember you came off the "Trenton Makes" bridge and took the second freeway underpass to the right -- follow that street to a light at this cable-making plant, make a left to the end of that street, take a right and the place was about two blocks on the right.

It was the first time I had ever tasted pizza made in a wood-fired oven and it was out of this UNIVERSE good -- I can't imagine it's still there, however, with all the changes they made to the city.
    Last edited by Kelly Green; 02-26-2015, 01:15 PM.
    "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

La Villa's?

Comment

Papa Johan?
      John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

Cici's
        The Eagles are boneheads. This is one of the top 10 biggest bonehead trades in the history of the NFL. - Chris Cooley 9/15/2010

Comment

Dominic I. Nose

Comment

I'm 3rd gen...yes I do remember a couple places down there

but the name of that place eludes me,,,that really wasn't an Italian area of Trenton...was it on a Street corner in a Bar possibly? Might have been down on Lalor St. another place had a brick over was Pizza plaza but that was later.

Delorenzos Tomato Pies was down on Hudson, Possibly it was there. They closed and the son opened a beautiful place in Robbinsville Nj, was just there; them, Marucas and lesser Know Joey's those were the famous places.
            OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
            "BFTR"

Comment

DiGiornos, probably.

Comment

Marucas?

Originally posted by Kelly Green View Post
                Used to be a well known pizza shop that had a wood-fired pizza oven. I don't know the address but I remember you came off the "Trenton Makes" bridge and took the second freeway underpass to the right -- follow that street to a light at this cable-making plant, make a left to the end of that street, take a right and the place was about two blocks on the right.

It was the first time I had ever tasted pizza made in a wood-fired oven and it was out of this UNIVERSE good -- I can't imagine it's still there, however, with all the changes they made to the city.
                I am from around that way as well... Could it be Marucas? They were big in T Town in the 50's but have since moved to Seaside.
                It is still tough to beat a Trenton pie...
                Hopes that were high in the heat of September ... can wilt and die in the chill of November. November can be cold and grey, November can be surly with bitter rain upon the world and winter coming early.
                - "The Voice" of NFL films -John Facenda

Comment

They Never had a place with a brick or wood oven though

and I know that family very well,the twins Joey and Dominick,,their Grandfather had his place just off of Greenwood Ave..we had a liquor store on Greenwood,,we sold the them wine,,we ate their Pie every friday night like clock work...it was NY neapolitan style Pie,,,the shore Pie is diff. But to anyone who would like to try a delicious Pie,,try Marucas down Seaside...you will not be disappointed,,your wallet might get light though!:D
                  OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                  "BFTR"

Comment

Ellio's

Comment

Another post about food KG. Back away from the fridge.
                      500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

HeY KG, Here's a little brain food

I asked my father who just turned 85 and lived in Trenton his whole life, say's he never remembers a place near the Trenton Makes Bridge,

not exactly what I was looking for,, but here is a good read about Trenton Tomato Pie.

As Italians emigrated from Italy to the United States of America in the late 1800s and early 1900s, they brought with them their cuisine and introduced pizza to America. In 1905, Gennaro Lombardi opened the first official pizzeria in America in Brooklyn at 53⅓ Spring Street, called Pizzeria Napoletana (Ibid). He had a coal-fired stove and offered one style of pizza, the Neapolitan-style with mozzarella, tomatoes, and a thick, chewy crust. Known as Don Gennaro, he was the first American pizzaiolo and is known today as America’s “Patriarca della Pizza” (Patriarch of Pizza) (Levine).

The second documented pizzeria, Joe’s Tomato Pies, opened in Trenton, New Jersey, in 1910. The dish roughly followed the recipe for Neapolitan pizza, but it also possessed a unique Trenton twist. Nick Azzaro, the grandson of Joe Papa, one of the founding fathers of the Trenton pizza, relates the following tale that could account for the origin of the tomato pie: “The story was they (his grandfather and his partners) were making bread, and they put some sliced tomatoes on it, and cooked it, and that was it.” (Capuzzo). Compared to other types of pizza, the Trenton pizzas were put together in reverse order, with the cheese and toppings first and then the tomato sauce, so the customers could really taste the seasoned, crushed plum tomatoes (Ibid). Enamored customers called this kind of pizza a “tomato pie.”
                        Last edited by TRENT; 02-28-2015, 10:55 AM.
                        OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                        "BFTR"

Comment

Working...
                        X