Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howie Speaks!

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/20.../#more-2918561

Howie doesn't get it. He equates "more lottery tickets" (draft picks) with higher chance of success in Round 1.

Unfortunately for his theory, draft "lottery tickets" are not equal in every round.

If Chip wants Mariota, Chip will get Mariota.

Actually, regardless of whether Chip wants Mariota or not, he's not getting Mariota. There are too many teams that need QB's ahead of the Eagles for it to happen. If he's worth moving up from 20 to get, he's worth moving up from 6 for the Jets or one of the other QB-needy teams with better picks than the Eagles.

I don't know why anyone is buying in to this bullshit.
    "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

I'm having flashbacks to the "draft Ricky Williams" area.

Comment

So long it stays a flashback...

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
        ...all this hyped conjecture is just click bait for a slow period in the offseason.
        "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

Originally posted by Melchior View Post
          Actually, regardless of whether Chip wants Mariota or not, he's not getting Mariota. There are too many teams that need QB's ahead of the Eagles for it to happen. If he's worth moving up from 20 to get, he's worth moving up from 6 for the Jets or one of the other QB-needy teams with better picks than the Eagles.

I don't know why anyone is buying in to this bullshit.
          Melchior, normally I'd agree with you entirely; however do you think the relationship btw Mariota and Chip is a factor? Can Mariota make teams nervous enough in the interviews etc to drop his stock low enough for Chip to get him? Essentially, would Mariota do what he can to increase the odds that he gets reunited with Chip?

I like Foles so am not a fan of betting the farm on a rookie but I could understand if Chip rolls the dice.
          Last edited by Joegrane; 03-01-2015, 03:25 PM.

Comment

One thing your Forgetting

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
            Ditka is fucing nuts,,,remember him wearing a dreadlock wig after the pick came thru,,gatta love that guy...
            OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
            "BFTR"

Comment

Saw this on Birds 24/7

From the comments section:

"These statements by Howie should come as no surprise; as GM, he really liked accumulating lottery cards...I mean draft picks. Witness his first two drafts in 2010 & 2011 (perhaps the worst in Eagles history) where he traded up, down, and sideways and ended up with 24 selections. And what is left from those two years...where the players should now be in their prime? Graham (likely gone), Allen, Cooper, Casey Matthews (all hopefully gone) and the only keeper is Kelce."

I believe that's a big reason why (if Kelly now has full control) you let him make the move he thinks will take the team to the next level. 24 picks in 2 drafts, and you end up with that garbage?

Again-if Kelly goes out in FA and gets:

-2 of four pieces of the secondary (Safety and one CB)
              -1 or more LBs (OLB and ILB)
              -A guard/tackle

And if Graham and/or Cole end up back with the team, why not make the move to get Mariota?

Is the #20 pick in next year's draft not worth acquiring the QB who your coach thinks is the key?

Comment

This strategy doesn't work unless Mariotta is ready to play at a championship level right out of the box, or damn close to it.
                Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

If Kelly believes that he is

Originally posted by slag View Post
                  This strategy doesn't work unless Mariotta is ready to play at a championship level right out of the box, or damn close to it.
                  is doing whatever it takes (short of trading the ENTIRE 2015 draft) worth it?

I say "yes" if FA is productive.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                    is doing whatever it takes (short of trading the ENTIRE 2015 draft) worth it?

I say "yes" if FA is productive.
                    Free agency better be ridiculously productive. I don't think FA can be good enough to throw away a years draft.

Comment

What does it have to look like for you?

Originally posted by harls View Post
                      Free agency better be ridiculously productive. I don't think FA can be good enough to throw away a years draft.
                      Last year they came away with:

Upgrade at FS (Jenkins)
                      Upgrade at ST (Maragos and Braman)

Zilch at LB
                      Zilch at CB

Minor upgrade at backup OL (Barbre)
                      Minor upgrade at backup QB (Sanchez)

I don't count Sproles because he was a trade

I think it has to be significantly better this year, almost by default...

Comment

Why? You think they can win a Super Bowl next season with any quarterback? I don't see that.

Next season would be learning experience for Mariotta. 16 and 17 would be Super Bowl runs.
                        Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Witness his first two drafts in 2010 & 2011 (perhaps the worst in Eagles history) where he traded up, down, and sideways and ended up with 24 selections. And what is left from those two years...where the players should now be in their prime? Graham (likely gone), Allen, Cooper, Casey Matthews (all hopefully gone) and the only keeper is Kelce."
                          Exactly. Getting three starters out of a draft is above average. One franchise QB is a good draft.
                          Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Depends on whether they fixed the defense.

And I'm not convinced that a gamble on Foles is bigger than one on Mariotta ... and with Foles you could combine FA and the draft.
                            Last edited by slag; 03-01-2015, 05:58 PM.
                            Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Depends on whether they fixed the defense.

And I'm not convinced that a gamble on Foles is bigger than one on Mariotta ... and with Foles you could combine FA and the draft.
                              I absolutely think mariota is a bigger gamble than foles. Foles at a minimum has proven to be a game manager. At his best he shown glimpses as a top franchise QB.

Mariota on the other hand is coming from a non pro offense and has shown trouble fitting the ball into tight spots. Maybe mariota becomes a great QB. There's also a very good of a chance he is complete garbage as a nfl QB.

Comment

Working...
                              X