Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But at some point

Originally posted by bobbyuk View Post
    He sure in the hell wasn't going to pay Maclin 11M.
    You have to pay SOMEBODY. I think getting into the practice of not wanting to hold on to guys simply because they want to get paid won't fly in today's NFL. If you have guys that have produced for you, at some point you're going to have to pay for that production. Is Maclin worth 11M ? I don't think that he is, but I don't think you want to be known as the team who will immediately cut, trade, or let walk this players who produce. I've seen it too many times with the baseball team in this city. A player comes up in the system, gets good enough to demand a big contract, and the team let's him walk or trades him. Guess when the last time was that a championship was won by that baseball team.
    The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

The lesson is--no one is bigger than the team. As I wrote in another thread, Kelly let them all go because even though they had hefty contracts for their postions, they weren't satisfied with them. The news coming from the media is that the Eagles and Maclin were working on a 5-6 year deal worth 9M a year--and that's what they offered him during the season and he turned it down. Personally, I don't think he's worth 11M a year--as Roy Halladay said (or was it Cliff Lee) "what can I get for $30M that I can't get for $25M?. Word out of NJ is that the Eagles offered McCourty more than the Pats and he turned them down. So it's not like they don't want to pay anyone.

Comment

Working...
      X