Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow, this is f*cked up. Reports say the German plane out of Barcelona that crashed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, this is f*cked up. Reports say the German plane out of Barcelona that crashed.

Had one of the pilots leave the cockpit and when he returned he found himself locked out of the cockpit before the crash. Could be suicide by aircraft by a pilot, or something worse. Could even be that the guy inside the flight deck was incapacitated for some reason and couldn't open the door.

I guess this is the downside of having to fortify flight deck doors. I guess you could just put locks on the doors and issue keys to certain crew members but that does not take away the possibility of somebody getting the key from a crew member.

I am sure right now they are trying to identify which pilot was the one that was locked out and the backgrounds of both pilots.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/wo...bus-crash.html
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

Damn shame.

Comment

Wow
      500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd & Inches View Post
        Wow
        Just last January a Delta pilot got locked out of the cockpit.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/30/travel...ptain-lockout/
        --------

Comment

My wife told me of the plane crash yesterday morning. I told her to spare me the details. She and the kids are flying Lufthansa to Germany this summer.
          500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd & Inches View Post
            My wife told me of the plane crash yesterday morning. I told her to spare me the details. She and the kids are flying Lufthansa to Germany this summer.
            Don't go Kelly Green on me. I'll spare you more details but flying is safer than driving... or walking in NYC for that matter.
            --------

Comment

It is safer. But when it goes bad its horrific. When it comes to flying, I am a little Kelly Greenish.

Comment

I read where

That particular Airbus model had 0.14 percent fatal accidents over millions of takeoffs
                Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
                May 7, 2010

Comment

I take the information in while flipping through the radio and what not. The tragedies are tough to comprehend. Sometimes small doses of information is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
                    That particular Airbus model had 0.14 percent fatal accidents over millions of takeoffs
                    It's going to be interesting to see how this investigation ends up. My personal belief is you always want two pilots in the secured flight deck each able to take over at all times. As far as I understand it, most US - European transatlantic flights--if not all currently follow that rule. They have more than two qualified pilots on board but the extra over the two in the flight decki may be resting/sleeping during the flight and ready to be called upon if necessary.

i have been reading things where some airlines don't think two qualified pilots are necessary and want one pilot per flight. This is for shorter flights like this one from Barca to Dusseldorf.

It's pretty easy to imagine scenarios where that could result in catastrophe. I think if it wasn't for the legal limitations on liability for the airlines, that wouldn't fly. Pun intended.
                    --------

Comment

Totally agree.

Comment

That can't be right. 14 fatal accidents every 10000 take offs is a catastrophic rate.

Comment

Yeah its 0.1 per million flights

Originally posted by RSE View Post
                          That can't be right. 14 fatal accidents every 10000 take offs is a catastrophic rate.
                          Very low
                          "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

.14% is not low at all in regards to a fatal airplane crash.

Comment

I would be willing to be its more like .000000014%.

Comment

Working...
                              X