Obbie, IG -- Stan Hochman Passed Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obbie, IG -- Stan Hochman Passed Away

One of Philly's truly great sports writers, Stan Hochman was 86. Next to Bill Lyon he was my favorite.
    "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Never cared for Lyon

Originally posted by Kelly Green View Post
    One of Philly's truly great sports writers, Stan Hochman was 86. Next to Bill Lyon he was my favorite.
    But really liked Hochman. Met him on Chestnut Street one night getting out of a movie and he stood there and talked to us for like ten minutes.
    DB

Comment

I doubt that he cared for you

so what did you talk about?
      "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you."

Comment

Damn. RIP, Stan

Guy was a blast to read for years. That's a guy that NEVER mailed it in.
        John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

The Ten Inch Boxer
          John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

Sorry to hear this. His appearances on cataldis show as the grand poobah were awesome.

Nice tribute

http://www.csnphilly.com/video_conte...t-stan-hochman
            Last edited by Ellsworth; 04-09-2015, 08:29 PM.

Comment

wasn't able to answer

Originally posted by Overbrook View Post
              so what did you talk about?
              was laughing at Loki's post.

We came out of seeing Purple Rain, and nearly bumped into him. I guess his wife was window shopping through the metal bars in the windows or something, so he was just hanging. I introduced myself and the Bulb Date (who had no clue)(of course she had no clue, why would she be dating the Bulb?).

He asked about the movie, and I told him it was hard to follow because so many people were yelling at the screen. He laughed and said something about the Chestnut movie crowd is like a fight crowd, then we talked about Larry Holmes for a while then I guess it was his wife came up and they walked out.
              DB

Comment

Very sad day

Originally posted by Kelly Green View Post
                A great one whose humility only made him that much greater. Knew him since covering the Sixers teams of the late 70s-mid 80s and he always treated everyone as as an equal. That was inspiring because you knew you weren't in his class.

He encouraged me a lot when I was writing my book. One of my great thrills was receiving a note from him that he loved the book. That meant so much because, obviously he was one of the alltime great writers, and he was also Jewish and knew the history of the times and the people.

One of his last pieces was also one of his best, an eloquent case for Dick Allen's Hall of Fame candidacy.

RIP Stanley.
                Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
                May 7, 2010

Comment

I thought Bill Conlin was your favorite

You change opinions like IG changes women.

Comment

yup

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
                    Sorry to hear this. His appearances on cataldis show as the grand poobah were awesome.

Nice tribute

http://www.csnphilly.com/video_conte...t-stan-hochman
                    I was wondering why the Poohbah had been missing. He will be missed.

Comment

The Hochman tributes and colleagues calling in all AM on WIP are fantastic.

Comment

I always enjoyed that. More or less the only good thing about that show. RIP.
                        "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

NHOH
                          "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Oh that was him?

That was the only part of Cataldi's show that I liked
                            "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Whatever The Hell That Means

Whatever, it's inappropriate.
                              "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

Working...
                              X