Just signed up for Sling TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just signed up for Sling TV

First impression is that the video quality is not as good as other streaming services I use such as MLB TV and Amazon Prime.

But the price is right for me. It's good for me as I am the only person using it. You can only access the service on one device at a time.
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

What are you streaming with?

I got the free Roku stick that came with it, and it was so so. But I just picked up a Roku 3 this past week, and it really improved the performance.

My Internet connection is 100 MB, too, so that has really helped with my reception. MLB is pretty much the gold standard of streaming, and so far Sling has kept up for me.
    -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

I'd love to cut the cord

Ehh I've been talking about this forever and I never do it. F'ing cable bill is ridiculous. I could take a nice vacation every year with the money I'd save on that bullsh*t. I could go to more Eagles games. See with you, it's just you. You can autonomously do this stuff. Me, I have to deal with these others. People who want their "Dance Moms." Aaaaaaarrrrgggghhhh

Comment

I have an Amazon Fire TV

Running XBMC. I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post

I got the free Roku stick that came with it, and it was so so. But I just picked up a Roku 3 this past week, and it really improved the performance.

My Internet connection is 100 MB, too, so that has really helped with my reception. MLB is pretty much the gold standard of streaming, and so far Sling has kept up for me.
          the roku 2xs has some merits compared to the 3. The 3 uses wifi direct for the remote and if you are using multiple units in your house you can end up with a bunch of interference. The 3 is faster and gives access to Netflix profiles.

Comment

Originally posted by Two Gap Penetrator View Post
            Ehh I've been talking about this forever and I never do it. F'ing cable bill is ridiculous. I could take a nice vacation every year with the money I'd save on that bullsh*t. I could go to more Eagles games. See with you, it's just you. You can autonomously do this stuff. Me, I have to deal with these others. People who want their "Dance Moms." Aaaaaaarrrrgggghhhh
            You can get pretty much any show you could want through piratebay. Then take an old pc and set up as a server. Amahi is some software that works well for a server and set up plex. Then once you put the shows on your server you can watch from your Roku or I believe Amazon fire and it is very similar to Netflix for anything you downloaded.

I ripped all my DVDs to my server and stream them over plex.

Comment

So you admit that?

Mmm hmmm, mmm hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Two Gap Penetrator View Post
                Mmm hmmm, mmm hmmm.
                I admit to ripping my DVDs. And that you can find anything you want on piratebay... What you do with that info is up to you.

Comment

stop

I know you're doing bit torrents.
                  FBI!! FBI!!

Comment

Have gotten free DTV Sunday ticket Max for years now.

I've been with them since 1996 and I don't even need to haggle anymore. I just call every July and ask for the retention department then say "can I have ST Max for free?"

Answer is always YES and they usually give me 12-15 months worth of additional discounts too. A bunch of us do the same thing year in and year out.

Comment

I have a Roku 3. Whenever I run speed tests on my connection, I get at least 10MBs download speed. When I check the speed at the settings menu on the Sling app it is showing less than 1 MBs. Like I said Amazon and MLB.tv are fine quality so I think it's something with Sling's servers or network infrastructure. Right now it looks like something better than standard def but definitely worse than HD.
                      --------

Comment

I hope it gets better. I really enjoy it.

That's probably the biggest plus of the midwest - Charter Internet. I get 100 down and like 5 up.
                        Last edited by BigSlizz; 04-21-2015, 09:30 PM.
                        -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

I hope it gets better. I really enjoy it.

That's probably the biggest plus of the midwest - Charter Internet. I get 100 down and like 5 up.
                          Tonight I'm getting 4.7 MB down on Sling and the picture is fine. Go figure.
                          --------

Comment

Working...
                          X