Hello everybody.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everybody.

How are you? Just back from Punta Cana. Miss me? Have a nice day!

I was considering that locale a while back, but opted for St. Lucia. How was it? Where did you stay? Do tell.

Comment

I've also been to St. Lucia

When L and I turned 40 we went to St. Lucia to a place that is now called Sugar Beach. It was absolutely amazing. (the show The Bachelor was there a couple of seasons ago for the final 2 dates) We had our own villa in the hills above the beach and it had it's own private outdoor plunge pool. The beach of the resort is between the two Pitons. There's a resort at the top of the hill from there called Ladera where you can go for dinner at sunset. It's breathtaking.

Getting back to Punta Cana: We went to a resort called Majestic Elegance. The landscaping and palm trees at this resort are gorgeous. It's an all-inclusive, so the food can be anywhere from great to meh. You know. You've been to all-inclusive resorts. Anyway, we upgraded to something called the Elegance Club which gives you access to special areas and restaurants and an adults only pool and swim-up bar. I would definitely recommend this place. It's a great value.

Comment

Believe I was there 20 years ago

My wife and I went there and at the time it was called Jalousie Plantation. Nestled in between the Pitons (with the little plunge pool outside the cottage). Had just opened. Really inexpensive at the time. I hope the road to get there has been rebuilt because at the time I thought we were going to die before seeing the place.

Comment

We were there 13 years ago...

....and I don't think any resort will ever measure up. 5 star place. It was called Jalousie when we were there too. Have you seen what it costs to stay there now? It's nuts. It was somewhat expensive 13 years ago, but now it's REALLY expensive. Matt Damon has his wedding there and the prices go through the roof. This is what our villa looked like.

Comment

Originally posted by Two Gap Penetrator View Post
            When L and I turned 40 we went to St. Lucia to a place that is now called Sugar Beach. It was absolutely amazing. (the show The Bachelor was there a couple of seasons ago for the final 2 dates) We had our own villa in the hills above the beach and it had it's own private outdoor plunge pool. The beach of the resort is between the two Pitons. There's a resort at the top of the hill from there called Ladera where you can go for dinner at sunset. It's breathtaking.
            Sounds nice. We did the Sandals thing a little farther north. I kind of regret not getting out to see more of the island (we talked about taking a catamaran cruise to that little cove between the Pitons), but as it usually goes with the all inclusive thing, you kind of kick back and lose most of your desire to do any kind of exploring. Maybe the next time there.

Getting back to Punta Cana: We went to a resort called Majestic Elegance. The landscaping and palm trees at this resort are gorgeous. It's an all-inclusive, so the food can be anywhere from great to meh. You know. You've been to all-inclusive resorts. Anyway, we upgraded to something called the Elegance Club which gives you access to special areas and restaurants and an adults only pool and swim-up bar. I would definitely recommend this place. It's a great value.
            Thanks...I'll definitely look it up. I've been pretty happy doing the upgrade when we go to places like that. Some say it's not worth it, but the little extra amenities make the experience a but more special. We've taken to booking at places that don't allow kids (we're not against kids...but we don't like having screaming brats ruin our precious relaxation time).

Comment

yup, that's it

Agreed. Service was phenomenal, food, the people. The scenery can't be duplicated. Like I said we got really lucky. Our travel agent said it had recently opened, they were trying to drum up interest and they had introductory pricing and it would never be that low ever again. Man was she right. We said we wanted to go there for our 20th but never made it. 25th maybe??

Comment

If I hit the Powerball...

...I am taking a bunch of Igglephans there and I am renewing my renunciation of Wangnutz on the beach. Do you know that that f*ck Matt Damon rented out the whole place to renew his wedding vows? ONE MILLION DOLLARS! Every A-List celebrity was there. DeNiro, Affleck, Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas, Jimmy Kimmel, that Coldplay a$$hole and Gwyneth Paltrow. Look it up.

Comment

I've never stayed at a Sandals, but.....

....I know that they are probably the best all-inclusive resort chain.

Back to Majestic Elegance: We booked through Cheap Caribbean and the upgrade to Elegance Club was less than $100 per person. I couldn't believe it. On every other travel site, it was a lot more. We didn't do any excursions this time. We've done so many excursion on our last couple of trips, so this time we just wanted to kick back and relax. Anyway, check this place out on Tripadvisor. The place is gorgeous.

Comment

even f***ing 'Thor' was there for it

clearly Damon knew that the TGPs and the Nor'easters had frequented the resort previously, which would have trumped any 5 start review that the place received.
                    I'll take it as a compliment that we there long before him and Ben Affleck's Boston beaten ass were there...

Comment

and if you do win and go there

count me in. I'm a noob so I'll pay my own freight. I just want to be there to see KG drink milk out of a coconut with a nipple on it.

Comment

Bwahahaha! That's RIGHT!

Hilarious!

Comment

Will do.

I've also done Riu in Cancun (where we had the bad experience with kids) and Secrets in Jamaica, and they are great as well. I like Sandals because of their strict no-tipping rule and because you can book through them and pay over time.

Funny...when I go to those places, I make best friends with the bartenders. At the last one, they knew what I wanted, and they made sure I had it without me even having to ask.

Comment

I got you covered

That is, of course, if you pass the Wangnut sniff test and written examination. Example questions: Have you ever propositioned an 11 year old? Have you ever brought potato chips to an event? Have you ever said or written the words "paradise found?"

Comment

We did our honeymoon at Sandals

Resort was very nice but like someone else mentioned the ride there from the airport was sketchy. Remember seeing rusted out cars crashed along the road that you expected to see a skeleton behind the wheel. I also got food poisoning during the trip (prolly from ice in a drink) which sucked but the scenery there is very cool.

Also been to Punta Cana and other than the 300+ lb Germans in thongs on the beach would go back.
                              "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Working...
                              X