Yo RSE: re: Montreal '76

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yo RSE: re: Montreal '76

Youre right, Jenner was the star in an Olympics that gave us Nadia Comaneci, Sugar Ray and the Spinks brothers taking boxig gold and US mens' hoops regaining world supremecy after the '72 theft in Munich.

As a fellow track geek you know that it was also "the big Horse" Alberto Juantorena of Cuba winning the 400 and 800, for I believe that was the first time ever done; and Lasse Viren of Finland doubling for the second straight Olympics in the 1600 and 3200 meters.

There was probably a lot more I'm not remembering now...but that was a great Olympics. However, it was still a tragic one as I believe this guy should have been the star.

Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

Well said.

Never saw the man run, since I wasn't born until '86, but Pre was a huge inspiration in my glory days at Upper Moreland. Last week was the 40th anniversary of his death, and I'm not as fast as I once was, but I read a few articles and just had to go out and put in a few miles to pay respects.

Small correction: Viren doubled in the 10k and 5k in '72 and '76.
    Last edited by xvii_xxii_xxvi; 06-04-2015, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Grantland had an interesting piece on Pre last week.

I passed on a chance to attend a school where the 76 silver medalist in my event, the triple jump, was head track coach. Mike Shine was an assistant there and I did meet him. He was a real big timer, unlike coach Butts who had the same silver medal Shine did.

What a great track and field meet those Olympics were.

Comment

I was more of a Mike Shine fan

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
        Youre right, Jenner was the star in an Olympics that gave us Nadia Comaneci, Sugar Ray and the Spinks brothers taking boxig gold and US mens' hoops regaining world supremecy after the '72 theft in Munich.

As a fellow track geek you know that it was also "the big Horse" Alberto Juantorena of Cuba winning the 400 and 800, for I believe that was the first time ever done; and Lasse Viren of Finland doubling for the second straight Olympics in the 1600 and 3200 meters.

There was probably a lot more I'm not remembering now...but that was a great Olympics. However, it was still a tragic one as I believe this guy should have been the star.

until he embarrassed himself by hugging Edwin Moses too much. Maybe in light of Edwin's later indiscretions, Mike was trying to tell us something. A good Pennsylvania runner.

PS Lasse was one of the first blood dopers, getting transfusions from stored blood prior to the race. A real trend setter.

DB

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by xvii_xxii_xxvi View Post
          Never saw the man run, since I wasn't born until '86, but Pre was a huge inspiration in my glory days at Upper Moreland. Last week was the 40th anniversary of his death, and I'm not as fast as I once was, but I read a few articles and just had to go out and put in a few miles to pay respects.

the years have dulled some of the memories
          May 7, 2010

Comment

never proven or admitted

Originally posted by Dim Bulb View Post
            until he embarrassed himself by hugging Edwin Moses too much. Maybe in light of Edwin's later indiscretions, Mike was trying to tell us something. A good Pennsylvania runner.

PS Lasse was one of the first blood dopers, getting transfusions from stored blood prior to the race. A real trend setter.

on the blood doping. He was a big fan of reindeer milk, though
            May 7, 2010

Comment

I did not know that...

...Shine was like that. Will check out the article on Pre.
              May 7, 2010

Comment

Dude

Originally posted by xvii_xxii_xxvi View Post

Did you run Sea Isle a couple years ago? Do you have a Pre tatt?
                May 7, 2010

Comment

I was a huge fan of that guy

used to have an Onitsuka Tiger poster I ripped righ off the wall of a running shoe store with a variation of this picture.

May 7, 2010

Comment

if you look closely

you can see the needle marks on his arms
                    DB

Comment

Look at those guns

I bet 3I is jealous
                      "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Working...