OB, I think you will enjoy this perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OB, I think you will enjoy this perspective

Secretariat vs. American Pharoah (still a great feat)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/hors...kes/ar-BBkSstr
    Last edited by Drama Queen; 06-10-2015, 05:56 PM.

Meh. Just an exercise in mental masturbation.

Even the most casual observer is aware Secretariat was a super horse, a freak of nature.

Why bother to make such a comparison?
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Overbrook View Post
      Even the most casual observer is aware Secretariat was a super horse, a freak of nature.

Why bother to make such a comparison?
      It's pretty much certain in my mind that Secretariat was the greatest racehorse of all time.

Does not take away from American Pharaoh's accomplishment in my mind.

One Triple Crown in 35 plus years says a lot to me.

Agreed the reason for the comparison is unnecessary... but maybe it is to prove to people that never saw Secretariat the greatness of that horse.
      --------
      "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

I agree. Level of agreement (c) - 100%

There will never be another horse even close to Secretariat.

That said, American Pharoah's achievement my have been more impressive in the sense that the entire Triple Crown is run so differently today. Secretariat, Affirmed, Seattle Slew all had to beat the same horses 3 times. Pharoah, after defeating 17 in the KY Derby, then had to face fresh horses in the next 2 races. No easy feat in the least.
        "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you."

Comment

Though to be fair Sham and Alydar were outstanding horses of a class American Pharoah did not meet.

Nonetheless, Pharoah is a great champion.

Comment

Secretariat is clearly the greatest, but one thing Pharoah has going for him is if he wins, say, the Haskell and then Breeders, he could retire an undefeated champion. Only Affirmed did that, correct? That would be pretty impressive even, as RSE points out, the competition has not been as great.
            "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Ummmmmmmmmm

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
              Secretariat is clearly the greatest, but one thing Pharoah has going for him is if he wins, say, the Haskell and then Breeders, he could retire an undefeated champion. Only Affirmed did that, correct? That would be pretty impressive even, as RSE points out, the competition has not been as great.
              Pharaoh lost his first maiden race. Hasn't lost since then.

Comment

Hmmm missed that. You're smart, I'm stoopid!
                "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Nah, you not stoopid.

Short, but certainly not stoopid.

Comment

Working...
                  X