Mathis wanted a $3 millon raise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mathis wanted a $3 millon raise?

Outrageous if true. Like that was going to happen.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/r...m-raise-061815
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

Highest G in the NFL?? Wow.

I find it interesting that no one has signed him yet. I'm sure there are teams that are looking into it, but if he's the best G in football, you'd think he would have been signed the day after he was cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Ground_Meat View Post

I find it interesting that no one has signed him yet. I'm sure there are teams that are looking into it, but if he's the best G in football, you'd think he would have been signed the day after he was cut.

This^^^^ AND it's the second year they have been shopping.

Comment

Originally posted by Ground_Meat View Post

Mathis is a phenomenal run blocker, but I've never thought he was that special as a pass blocker. He's not going to get that kind of money.
        "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Originally posted by Melchior View Post
          Mathis is a phenomenal run blocker, but I've never thought he was that special as a pass blocker. He's not going to get that kind of money.
          The big question in my mind is whether or not he gets more than he would have been paid with the Eagles this year. I guess if he gets one dollar more, in his mind he will have had made the right move.
          --------

Comment

I am numb to the whole thing

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
            Outrageous if true. Like that was going to happen.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/r...m-raise-061815
            Even if not, true, he wanted more than they were willing to give him and was going to be unhappy. In the end they cut him and now he will be lucky, IMO to get as much as what the Eagles were offering.

Cant say "good riddance" as I always liked the way the guy played and you are trying to protect an injury-prone Sam Badford...but after all of the other moves this just seems like, well, like I'm numb to it all.

They better win.
            Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
            May 7, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
              They better win.
              With all of the moves made this offseason, Level of Agreement: 100 percent
              --------

Comment

consecutive pro bowls

He wanted to be paid based on production and getting recognized at the league level meant he thought was the top guard in the league. His age and being under contract, even if he was at a lower salary, meant he didn't have leverage. The team made an offer for an extra million last year and he didn't take it. When you start acting up and embarrassing the team, and you really are replaceable, there are consequences.

The whole contract negotiation is a tough thing because the business part of the game is so ruthless. It's rare when players have the leverage on their side (eg. Russell Wilson).

Comment

The timing of this leak is not unexpected given Grantland, which has generally been in Chip's corner, ran an article yesterday questioning Mathis's release.

Comment

He obviously wanted out

And that's what he got. Who cares anymore who does what? This team is never going to win a Super Bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post
                      The timing of this leak is not unexpected given Grantland, which has generally been in Chip's corner, ran an article yesterday questioning Mathis's release.

Didn't they offer him an extra mil last year, and he turned it down?
                      Last edited by Eagle Road; 06-19-2015, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post
                        It will be interesting if he ends up on the Giants.

Like IG said, They better win.
                        --------

Comment

Mathis wanted a $3 millon raise?
                          Might just be a starting number for negotiations.

Might also be propaganda from Chip.

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                            It will be interesting if he ends up on the Giants.

Like IG said, They better win.
                            Wouldn't surprise me at all. He fills a need.

Comment

Well, apparently he turned down a million. It doesn't sound unreasonable to think Mathis wanted to be a lot closer to 3M.

Comment

Working...
                              X