No announcement yet.

Dylann Roof's flag to come down in SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You shouldn't drive and Igglesphan. Yeah, I think there is a difference between "hands up don't shoot" which didn't actually happen and the confederate flag which did happen.
    "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Originally posted by rdog5 View Post
      And quite honestly what I am against is symbolic gestures to appease a group of people while the true underlying issue gets swept under the rug.
      On its face that argument is valid and the underlying issue of racism and oppression is the real problem.

However, when the state/government overtly displays a symbol that is linked to racism and oppression in both a historical and contemporary context, it offers validation to racists and oppressors who use the symbol for their own means.
      --
      Your Retarded

Comment

You win this thread. Nobody is more righteously angry about this than you. Congratulations.

Comment

"You can't argue that one confederate flag is bad and the others are OK"

You seem to be lumping flags. Without being a state flag design expert and knowing the intent behind them, I'm saying that some states that you reference do not appear to be overt like you claim. I also realize that depends on one's interpretation.

For example, lumping Florida's flag with the confederate flag seems a stretch IMO, however if there is evidence of intent than you might have a reason for change.

BTW, are your neighbors still upset that you don't have a permit to fly your gay pride flag? Punch.

Edit to Add: The Florida flag design, specifically the red crossing, which I'm assuming you think reflects the confederate battlefield flag is noted to represent the St. Andrew's Cross.
          Last edited by Drama Queen; 06-23-2015, 02:47 PM.

Comment

So you fly that racist florida flag??

I knew it!

"Florida's flag is similar to Alabama's, consisting of a state seal over a red cross. The cross was added to the flag a few years after Alabama adopted its flag, at the suggestion of Governor Francis P. Fleming. Fleming had enlisted in the Confederate army in his youth, and some historians see his choice of the cross as an attempt to memorialize the confederacy."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...uthern-states/

PS I fly the navy jack occasionally.

"I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

The St. Andrew's Cross on the Alabama and Florida flags is reminiscent of the flag of the Spanish Empire as well. While it probably does have some connection to the flag of the Confederacy, it's not entirely the case and also it not nearly iconic as the battle flag.

--
              Your Retarded

Comment

Everything you ever need to know about Confererate Flags.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_...tes_of_America

The original Confederate Flag "The Stars and Bars" was being confused with the US Flag.

The battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, was adopted to the eliminate the confusion, and a Version of that was adopted and became the Final Flag, by end of the war.
                Last edited by Mississippi-Fan; 06-23-2015, 06:35 PM.
                "Never Look Back, Something May Be Gaining On You."

Comment

Your link provides a further link (under " at the suggestion of Governor Frances P. Fleming") to the Florida Department of State website and the following explanation is given: "During the late 1890s, Governor Francis P. Fleming suggested that a red cross be added, so that the banner did not appear to be a white flag of truce or surrender when hanging still on a flagpole." Of course that explanation didn't quite fit with the intentions of your link. (Why shouldn't the Texas flag be included in that article?)

Comment

good question about texass flag

Similar colors to the others but it pre-dates the civil war by a few decades

Comment

Which then begs the question

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
                      Why is North Carolina included in the article.

Comment

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
                        Red white and blue are pretty similar.
                        --
                        Your Retarded

Comment

Texas and NC are virtually identical.

Comment

read the article

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
                            Texas and NC are virtually identical.
                            NC is almost same as their confederate flag

Comment

But they switched the color of the canton ( or what is similar to the canton) after the war to blue which is probably a symbolic gesture to blue states. That apparently isn't far enough for the author of your article.

Like I said, other that Georgia and Mississippi, lumping the flags as all "overt" is not accurate, IMO but it's amusing to watch you transform into some kind of PC Riccardo!

Comment

I'm just saying get rid of them all

Quit defending your sickening florida flag!

Comment

Working...
                                X