Phillies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phillies

What the hell? IDK if the beer will ever taste good again.

Bardy did it.

Comment

There's a lot to be hopeful about down on the farm plus another high pick coming. It will taste good again, just going to taste very bitter for a few years.

Comment

They're going to have so much money to spend too. I expect them to compete for a WC in 2017.

Comment

They need to make the right managerial decision. Make sure they bring in a guy who is going to be good with the young team they're going to have.

I vote for Rauuuuuullllll.

Comment

I don't mind Mackanin, to be honest. Not sure who else is out there. I'm more worried about bringing in the right GM. The Phillies should be a sexy job; likely top 3 pick, high payroll, top 5-10 farm system, ect.

Comment

they have something like

Originally posted by rothdawg View Post
              They're going to have so much money to spend too. I expect them to compete for a WC in 2017.
              5-6 of the top 100 prospects in baseball - two of those being Franco & Nola. I expect them to up that number by a few with the draft. Plus, they've been getting quality innings from Eickhoff, who wasn't a super sexy acquisition, but could project as an inning-eater 3-5 guy in the rotation.

Whoever handled the trades this summer is the reason you can project like that. While this season (and probably next) might be dismal, the future is bright.

Edited to add: I also agree on Mackanin - he's done a lot with this roster and the young guys seem to be responding.
              Last edited by JuTMSY4; 09-01-2015, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Part of the reason I don't want Mackanin as the manager is because I want the Sandberg regime completely gone. I feel similar to how I did when Reid finally left. Need new faces just to wash the bad taste out of the mouth.

Is Mackanin an ok enough coach and a nice guy? Probably. Will they miss out on the next great manager if they don't bring him back? Probably not. I think a lot of his success this year is because the team was just so happy to be rid of Ryno that they played like gangbusters in the immediate future after his departure.

If he's here next year, I won't be angry, but I don't think he'll be the manager leading this new generation of prospects to the playoffs when they ultimately get back to that level.

It also boils down to who the new GM is. He'll want to bring in his own guy most likely.

Comment

I expect Crawford, Williams, Thompson, Alfaro, Randolph and possibly Kilome to all be top 100 prospects going into next year. And we will likely see the first three on that list at some point in 2016, along with Efflin and Knapp.

I hope they consider breaking the bank for Heyward in the offseason. He just turned 26, to me he'd be a perfect fit.

Comment

I really liked what Roman Quinn was doing before he got hurt.

Hopefully he can stay healthy and continue to show that he's got some value at the big league level.

One thing I will say from spending time working out at Reading this year is that all these guys, even the newer ones, are forming a bond. They've spent a lot of time in the minors together and will all come up around the same time. JP is absolutely the ringleader of the group.

Also agree on Heyward, he'd fit in nicely.

Comment

I expect Crawford, Williams, Thompson, Alfaro, Randolph and possibly Kilome to all be top 100 prospects going into next year. And we will likely see the first three on that list at some point in 2016, along with Efflin and Knapp.

I hope they consider breaking the bank for Heyward in the offseason. He just turned 26, to me he'd be a perfect fit.
                      why would you consider breaking the bank for Heyward? I'm not saying he's not good...but that's like giving iguodala a max contract. It makes no sense.

If trout were available..yes...heyward? nah.
                      “I am going to literally sodomize you on the field of battle. I am going to have non-consensual sex with your face and your butt. Then I’m going after your wife and kid”

Comment

No it's not like giving Iggy a max deal, apples and oranges compared to the way the NBA salary cap works. The Phillies are going to have so much payroll flexibility, Heyward given his age and his consistent play over the years, seems to make more sense than any other Free Agent. I also think he'd rake at CBP and he'd be entering the prime of his career.

Guys like Trout don't exactly come around that often.

Comment

The Phils will have a ton of flexibility - only 63 million committed next year (Howard, Lee (buyout), Chooch and Harrison) for a team that spent 143 million this year. Given the way FAs are shaping up, Heyward looks like the best building block option in the market.

However, I'm not sure if Heyward can be offered a qualifying offer and if so, whether that requires the Phils to give up their pick. If it does, I'm not sure they go for Heyward.

Comment

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
                            The Phils will have a ton of flexibility - only 63 million committed next year (Howard, Lee (buyout), Chooch and Harrison) for a team that spent 143 million this year. Given the way FAs are shaping up, Heyward looks like the best building block option in the market.

However, I'm not sure if Heyward can be offered a qualifying offer and if so, whether that requires the Phils to give up their pick. If it does, I'm not sure they go for Heyward.
                            Top 10 picks are protected, I believe. So they would give up their second round pick.

Comment

you are correct

Top 10 picks are protected, I believe. So they would give up their second round pick.
                              http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/11/...on-free-agency

That actually makes him a little bit more enticing because if they sign an FA later when they have a lower pick (hopefully), they'd lose it. I'm on board with you guys. Even if he blows, the contract shouldn't be an albatross.

Comment

Working...
                              X