Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.S. Open. Don't know how much interest there is here, but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Open. Don't know how much interest there is here, but....

I am all in with Serena Wiiliams.

Rooting hard for her grand slam.
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you."

Originally posted by Overbrook View Post

I'm rooting for her. I may go to the Open but I doubt I will see her play. I usually prefer to watch matches up close in one of the smaller venues there.
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Very cool. I've never been.

Although I have seen professionals play.

TV does them no justice. You have to see them in person to truly appreciate just how hard they hit and how good they are.

I'm jealous.
      "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you."

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
        I'm rooting for her. I may go to the Open but I doubt I will see her play. I usually prefer to watch matches up close in one of the smaller venues there.
        I'll be there for Saturday's Day session, in case you go on that day. Like you, I love going to the outer courts - and doubles is an under-appreciated spectator sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Bardy View Post
          I'll be there for Saturday's Day session, in case you go on that day. Like you, I love going to the outer courts - and doubles is an under-appreciated spectator sport.
          I recommend court 17... although I think they have been expanding it via construction, so I don't know what their plans are there for future matches.

Last year on Labor Day I watched three doubles matches there from the front row... just with a general admission ticket. It was excellent.
          --------

Comment

Last time I went (3 years ago?), we walked over to an outer court and I turned to my son and said:

"Why are they letting a dude play against a woman?"

Then I realized it was actually a really tall ugly woman with an unpronounceable Eastern European name who I thought was a guy.
            Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
              Last time I went (3 years ago?), we walked over to an outer court and I turned to my son and said:

"Why are they letting a dude play against a woman?"

Then I realized it was actually a really tall ugly woman with an unpronounceable Eastern European name who I thought was a guy.
              Labor Day or the Sunday before are the best days to go IMO.

I can't disagree with Bardy's choice of Saturday mid-Open either. The lower level players have been weeded out and there are lots of good matches. It's more competitive and you aren't limited to a couple of matches like later on.

It can be hot as hell, though. To not quote Kurt Vonnegut: "Wear sunscreen"
              --------

Comment

Its worth a weekend in the future,, freekin steam bath out there today

Tough time to have serious matches, so Dam Hot.

I worked the open 3 years when I was with Nike,,amazing experience.. go see the women play,,Blows your mind..they are swinging so hard they come off the ground,,and the ball in 2 feet Inside the line,,,U just can't get a feel for how Physical it really is unless you see the pro's.. I made it out on the court last night 2nd time since I hurt my back...Were In the Mens A Doubles Final in 2 weeks...Hope Im ready.

We won't see another American Women's Champion Like Serena in our Lifetime.
                OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                "BFTR"

Comment

haven't gone in a few years

but I had a good decade streak going,,Love the outer courts on day one and day two,,,best time at the Open .."for me" see all the younger talent, and a few superstars from 20 feet away. I just buy the grounds pass and walk all day and night,,I haven't been inside arthur as in 10 years, ...Louie Armstrong all the way
                  OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                  "BFTR"

Comment

I have a friend who plays tennis and you sound like him ... he goes early in the tournament to watch up and comers on the outer courts.

Says it was much better years ago ... not nearly as crowded.

I remember him raving about seeing Agassi when he was 16 or 17 years old, on an outer court, and he could already see he was a budding superstar.
                    Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

As much interest as I have

Originally posted by Overbrook View Post

in a Fiorina/Trump policy debate. Can't wait until Trump starts to slam Carson. That's gonna be fun.
                      DB

Comment

I'd let Serena get on top of me.

Comment

No surprise here

Originally posted by Dim Bulb View Post
                          in a Fiorina/Trump policy debate. Can't wait until Trump starts to slam Carson. That's gonna be fun.
                          Whoever said dweebs appreciate sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Dim Bulb View Post
                            Dude you are the most political poster on the board. You will interject politics into almost anything.
                            --------

Comment

You are correct

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                              Dude you are the most political poster on the board. You will interject politics into almost anything.
                              I humbly submit my political resignation. For about five minutes.
                              DB

Comment

Working...
                              X