Obama is absolutely correct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama is absolutely correct

People on the terrorist no fly list should not be allowed to buy guns.

I give up a little freedom every time I fly, but it's worth it for my safety.

I don't get why responsible gun owners oppose a system where bad guys can easily get guns.
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

Oh no you didin'

Start a thread about reasonable gun ownership.

Whatever you're seeing in the NY vs NY game, it can't be one tenth as boring as this Seattle/Minnesota crap on here.
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you."

Comment

I think the issue is that there are tens (hundreds?) of thousands of people on that list only because they have a same or similar name as an actual suspected criminal. I guess the question is, is that a sufficient reason to strip a constitutional right?
      "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
        I think the issue is that there are tens (hundreds?) of thousands of people on that list only because they have a same or similar name as an actual suspected criminal. I guess the question is, is that a sufficient reason to strip a constitutional right?
        C'mon. Use common sense.

We don't allow suspected terroirsts to travel, but we allow them access to weapons that allow them to kill a lot of people quickly.

Fuck that interpretation of the Second Amendment,
        --------

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD1T61oTrR8

The Obama administration has quietly approved a substantial expansion of the terrorist watchlist system, authorizing a secret process that requires neither “concrete facts” nor “irrefutable evidence” to designate an American or foreigner as a terrorist, according to a key government document obtained by The Intercept.

The “March 2013 Watchlisting Guidance,” a 166-page document issued last year by the National Counterterrorism Center, spells out the government’s secret rules for putting individuals on its main terrorist database, as well as the no fly list and the selectee list, which triggers enhanced screening at airports and border crossings. The new guidelines allow individuals to be designated as representatives of terror organizations without any evidence they are actually connected to such organizations, and it gives a single White House official the unilateral authority to place “entire categories” of people the government is tracking onto the no fly and selectee lists. It broadens the authority of government officials to “nominate” people to the watchlists based on what is vaguely described as “fragmentary information.”

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

So you are in favor of terrorists being easily able to buy firearms?

FREEDOM! (for terrorists)

Originally posted by noguano View Post
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD1T61oTrR8

The Obama administration has quietly approved a substantial expansion of the terrorist watchlist system, authorizing a secret process that requires neither “concrete facts” nor “irrefutable evidence” to designate an American or foreigner as a terrorist, according to a key government document obtained by The Intercept.

The “March 2013 Watchlisting Guidance,” a 166-page document issued last year by the National Counterterrorism Center, spells out the government’s secret rules for putting individuals on its main terrorist database, as well as the no fly list and the selectee list, which triggers enhanced screening at airports and border crossings. The new guidelines allow individuals to be designated as representatives of terror organizations without any evidence they are actually connected to such organizations, and it gives a single White House official the unilateral authority to place “entire categories” of people the government is tracking onto the no fly and selectee lists. It broadens the authority of government officials to “nominate” people to the watchlists based on what is vaguely described as “fragmentary information.”

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin
            --------

Comment

The right wing wackos won't for any common sense laws about guns. They get way too much money from the gun lobbies.

Comment

There are hundreds of thousands of names on the list. It's a fact that many of them are on solely because of their name and not because the are suspected criminals. I tend to agree with you that not being able to by a gun is really not the end of the world so who cares, but legally it happens to currently be a constitutional right so it's subject to pretty strict scrutiny. Maybe being unlucky enough to share a name with a person of interest is enough to override that.

I'll say this, if I was getting ready to board a flight and instead I was detained and forced to miss it because I shared a name with some IRA guy I don't think my reaction would be, "it's cool." Can't imagine yours would be either.

Comment

Can you predict that I'll never win the lottery? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                    So you are in favor of terrorists being easily able to buy firearms?

FREEDOM! (for terrorists)
                    Of course not IE.

Comment

There are hundreds of thousands of names on the list. It's a fact that many of them are on solely because of their name and not because the are suspected criminals. I tend to agree with you that not being able to by a gun is really not the end of the world so who cares, but legally it happens to currently be a constitutional right so it's subject to pretty strict scrutiny. Maybe being unlucky enough to share a name with a person of interest is enough to override that.

I'll say this, if I was getting ready to board a flight and instead I was detained and forced to miss it because I shared a name with some IRA guy I don't think my reaction would be, "it's cool." Can't imagine yours would be either.
                      I would not want any person who is considered unsafe to fly on a plane to own a gun.

Fuck the interpretation of the Second Amendment that says everybody can own a gun. Ownership of guns needs to be well regulated.

Right now we have little or NO regulation.
                      --------

Comment

I can't argue with that and I agree about gun regulations. The only point I'm making is that a lot of people on the list aren't unsuitable to fly - they just have the same name as someone who is and are on the list for that reason only. So do you protect their rights or not protect them in the name of national security? Obviously I don't think a suspected terrorist should be allowed to buy a gun.

Comment

I can't argue with that and I agree about gun regulations. The only point I'm making is that a lot of people on the list aren't unsuitable to fly - they just have the same name as someone who is and are on the list for that reason only. So do you protect their rights or not protect them in the name of national security? Obviously I don't think a suspected terrorist should be allowed to buy a gun.
                          Don't want to argue.

Have you had problems with your name being on a list? I used to joke with my ex-wife about her name being on a list because her name resembled a province in Iraq.
                          --------

Comment

No, I haven't. This is kind of funny actually - the father-in-law of one of our good friends was stopped in Europe by Interpol because they thought he was Whitey Bulger. He does look just like him haha.

Comment

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-1...e-no-fly-lists

Comment

Working...
                              X