Yo IG -- RIP Dolph Schayes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yo IG -- RIP Dolph Schayes...

A Syracuse National! (Who became the 76ers...)

What sort of knowledge do you have for us youngsters?
    Charismatic megafauna.

He was a great player...

....an alltime great. 6-8 but really mobile...ahead of his time. Could drive to the hoop, was a great spot-up shooter too. Don't remember him as a great defender but he hustled his ass off. He actually put together the Sixers 1967 championship team. Came to Philly as player coach, transitioned to the bench, but had enough after one year of trying to coach Wilt. My friend Red Klotz loved him. He won the NBA title in the mid-50s after two or three previous unsuccessful trips to the finals.

He was also a mainstay of 1940s and early 50s era dominated by Jewish ball players.

Hoops world has truly lost an alltimer.
    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

Comment

And a graduate of Dewitt Clinton High School in the Bronx, probably the greatest public high school in New York City for basketball. His fellow alumni include the great Tiny Archibald, the greatest guard to come out of New York and probably behind only Lew Alcindor and Connie Hawkins as the greatest New York high schoolers. Schayes was a true great.

Comment

Nice

Knew he was a New York product did not know he went to DeWitt Clinton. Probably the first, right, in that long line of greats?
        Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
        May 7, 2010

Comment

One of my first basketball coaches was a Clinton grad who played against Hawkins Boys High team at Madison Square Garden. He loved to talk about that.

Comment

Found this list of great Brooklyn ball players. You'll appreciate number 1:

https://hoopscoach.wordpress.com/201...oklyn-ballers/

Comment

Crazy fact ... my dad AND my father in law both went to DeWitt Clinton but my dad was a year ahead of my father in law and they didn't know each other until I started dating my wife.

They used to talk about Shayes when they got together at family shit ... my dad played basketball there and later at City College.
              Last edited by slag; 12-10-2015, 11:32 PM. Reason: typo
              Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

My college roommate dreaded the idea of going to Clinton so much that he got his parents to lie and tell the administrators at Bronx Science that they were both disabled in order to help him get in there.
                Last edited by RSE; 12-10-2015, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Why?
                  Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Working...
                  X