Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this interview process look like a sham?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this interview process look like a sham?

Back in 1990 the owner hated the HC. He ended up replacing that hated coach with his Offensive Coordinator.

The roles are similar but if you change the names from Braman, Ryan and Kotite to Lurie, Kelly and Shurmur it makes a lot of sense.

Not saying that Shurmur will be as bad a coach as Kotite, just saying that if the owner believes enough in the talent level of the team he isnt as likely to make a change as significant as going out of house for Kelly's replacement.

At this point I think they are bringing in undewhelming options like Gase and Austin in order to claim that due diligence was adhered to while, in reality, the card was drawn prior to the end of the season. After all, they got a look at Shurmer last week. Hell, they even had Mike Quick float Doug Pedersons name as a candidate on Sunday morning just to scare the fan base into acceptance of this decision.

This looks like a done deal. Shurmur to HC, Duce to OC, a new DC (God willing) and a lucrative long term term deal for the QB.

With this type of mediocrity in place, given how badly Lurie was burned by Kelly last time around, does anyone really expect any rocking of what everyone from Roseman to Lurie believe to be a mildly sinking ship?

Besides, the Eagles dont even need to be a good team to have a shot at hoisting a division title banner in 2016.
    Last edited by J_Cuz31; 01-05-2016, 06:55 AM.
    "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

That's certainly one reading of the tea leaves and so far it fits Lurie's desires.

I believe this week you can interview coordinators of teams on byes. If Lurie wanted one of those guys, he'd have to wait until that team was done to hire him. If they don't make a hire soon-ish, I'd say that guys like Shurmur are out. If it is Shurmur or Gase or whoever, my guess is he's named HC next week.

Comment

I have to say, I don't think I'd hate Shurmur as the hire. It's not flashy, but the players seem to like him. Bradford would likely stay. When I hear him talk, he sounds like a guy who self evaluates and has learned along the way. I don't care what he did in Cleveland. That's a black hole.
      "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

I guess I am wondering if there was no real "Plan" in place? How do we know that CK and JL just didn't have a blowout over something and Jeffy really didn't have a plan in place so is going to do the easier move? IDK???

With that said, I was/am not crazy about Shurmur, but I really don't think he would be any worse than anyone else out there with his grasp of the FO and the players it would be a MUCH smoother proposition.

Comment

Originally posted by J_Cuz31 View Post
          Shurmur to HC, Duce to OC, a new DC (God willing) and a lucrative long term term deal for the QB.
          I would be okay with this - even resigning Bradford as long as they draft a quality developmental QB. Find a decent DC, get rid of Cooper and Sanchez, hope for the best from the personnel department.
          Last edited by Maniac; 01-05-2016, 11:41 AM.
          Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

If they went shumur would you be ok with spags back as dc?
            On Trumps handicap

“If Trump is a 2.8, Queen Elizabeth is a pole vaulter,” Reilly wrote

Comment

Originally posted by CbEagle View Post
              If they went shumur would you be ok with spags back as dc?
              His results haven't been the greatest lately.
              Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
                I would be okay with this - even resigning Bradford as long as they draft a quality developmental QB. Find a decent DC, get rid of Cooper and Sanchez, hope for the best from the personnel department.
                I am ok with bringing all of these coaches back but I really feel this team needs a new leader on the defensive side of the ball. Thus, the real smart move here is to see if Shurmer and Duce would return in their roles under a new HC, with a defensive background, from a WINNING PROGRAM.

Hopefully, they keep everyone at bay for a few weeks while they backchannel through agents and reach out to a Sean McDermott or a Matt Patricia in order to see if those guys would come in, install their defense, and leave the offensive structure of this team to Shurmer and Duce.

Its not like other teams are beating down the door for Shurmur so this type of crafty maneuvering can be done. Problem is, can Lurie and Howie pull off such a feat when the easy way out stares them in the face for the thext few weeks?

Id feel a lot better about this whole thing if they were asking permission of the Pats or Panthers to interview these guys but they dont seem the slightest bit interested in looking at coaches whose teams are sitting around and enjoying the bye week because they won a lot of games this season.

Comment

I dont think this is honestly the case.
                  WANGNUTIAN. (pronounced wang-nooshan, martian)

Comment

Disagree. Jeffie got burned last time

Now he's gonna take more time and look at more options
                    "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Originally posted by J_Cuz31 View Post
                      ...but they dont seem the slightest bit interested in looking at coaches whose teams are sitting around and enjoying the bye week because they won a lot of games this season.
                      And your observation is based on what?

Comment

based on that there are only two outside candidates being interviewed thus far and both Gase and Austin have very limited resumes.

Comment

Gotcha. But there is at least another 4 day window for interviews, not counting today. I have to think that it's too early to conclude that they aren't trying.

Comment

Working...
                          X