Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• its a shame the politicos cant wait for the body to cool

...on both sides.

Scalia is a Jersey boy, son of immigrants and first Italian American on the high court. Had something like 35 grand kids. Let's honor the guy before we resume stabbing each other, please.
    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

Scalia's confirmation was unanimous

That in itself is amazing in the context of today's polarized political climate. There isn't a person alive today that would be put through in such a manner these days.

RIP, Justice. I didn't agree with some of your opinions, but it would have been wrong to questioned your motives.

Comment

Just thought the same thing IG in reading the reactions which for the most part go something like:

'he was a great jurist and public servant so let's make sure we take our time nominating the next one' (GOP)
      'he was a great jurist and public servant so let's make sure we honor him by nominating someone immediately' (Dem)

Comment

My dad Knew him

although he was "Scalia" 7 years younger,,we were all Born at St Francis Med Center in Trenton
        Last edited by TRENT; 02-14-2016, 11:48 AM.
        OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
        "BFTR"

Comment

I'll be honest. I don't think I would have liked the guy if I had met him in person.

He seemed to go out of his way to demean those that didn't agree with him. And in general I didn't agree with him.
          --------
          "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

I didn't agree with him either

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
            I'll be honest. I don't think I would have liked the guy if I had met him in person.

He seemed to go out of his way to demean those that didn't agree with him. And in general I didn't agree with him.
            but he seemed generally respected by both sides. I know he could be outspoken at times, but there is no denying his service to the country and his genuine belief he was acting in the best interests of the country.
            May 7, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
              but he seemed generally respected by both sides. I know he could be outspoken at times, but there is no denying his service to the country and his genuine belief he was acting in the best interests of the country.
              Honestly he was about my most hated political figure. And when I say "political" I mean it. He politicized being a judge, IMO, and was a poster child for why it might be a good idea to have Supreme Court justices NOT nominated for life.

I wonder what Overbrook thinks of him? (See what I did there?)
              --------

Comment

I guess what bothered me

News of his death broke yesterday afternoon and the bipartisan debate began immediately. Plenty of time to get into that stuff but both sides immiately either stabbed or propped up the corpse.
                May 7, 2010

Comment

Most judges are political, particularly when one doesn't agree with them.

As an aside, a priest I was close to grew up with him. Actually dissuaded Scalia from enteringredients the priesthood himself.
                  "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

I agree with your sentiment. I hate it when anybody passes and I feel bad for his family.

On the other hand Scalia himself did not have any sympathy for those that did not agree with his views. He was a major reason for the "bipartisan debate" (I would say bipartisan divide) you mentioned IMO.
                    --------

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
                      Most judges are political, particularly when one doesn't agree with them.

As an aside, a priest I was close to grew up with him. Actually dissuaded Scalia from enteringredients the priesthood himself.
                      I hate to say, cos it reminds me I'm old this but back in the day when Scalia was appointed the Republicans were all bitching about "Judicial Activism" by "liberal" judges

Scalia was the biggest Judicial Activist of all time. Thus the title of Dim Bulb's post.
                      --------

Comment

I think you're giving him too much credit. Just one vote on a 9 person court and typically not the deciding vote. His most scathing opinions of late were dissents.

Comment

All judges are "judicial activists" when you don't agree with them though, right? Seems to be the typical complaint from both sides...

Comment

I think you're giving him too much credit. Just one vote on a 9 person court and typically not the deciding vote. His most scathing opinions of late were dissents.
                            He was a guaranteed vote for one side. He was not a man of nuance or one who could be persuaded to deviate from his ideology.

In a court where a lot of decisions were determined by 5-4 votes, his vote was solid for one side.

Sorry, I think the guy was no good for the country.
                            --------

Comment

All judges are "judicial activists" when you don't agree with them though, right? Seems to be the typical complaint from both sides...
                              The Republicians iniciated the complaint.
                              --------

Comment

Working...
                              X