No announcement yet.

Spanish Homework and the Eagles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh...not "Nope." The translation that Brett27 wrote was just as correct. Spanish minor here. Fluent in Spanish. Just sayin'...
    "I don't think there's anybody in this organization not focused on the 49ers... I mean Chargers."
    -Bill Belichick

"People think we make $3 million and $4 million a year. They don't realize that most of us only make $500,000."
    -Pete Incaviglia

Comment

lol. I live in Spain, my girlfriend is Spanish, and I study a bilingual master's in Madrid. Neither of Brett's translations is correct. The first completely ignores the subjunctive. You can't say "deseo que" then follow it with indicative. His second translation, while better by virtue of the fact that it contains the subjunctive, is just weird. It translates to "I want that the eagles won the Super Bowl." If you want to say that and really get the essence of what IE was going for, you have to use the past subjunctive, i.e., hubiesen ganado.

I was a Spanish minor too and that means nothing. Just sayin...
      Last edited by art vandelay; 03-01-2016, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
        lol. I live in Spain, my girlfriend is Spanish, and I study a bilingual master's in Madrid. Neither of Brett's translations is correct. The first completely ignores the subjunctive. You can't say "deseo que" then follow it with indicative. His second translation, while better by virtue of the fact that it contains the subjunctive, is just weird. It translates to "I want that the eagles won the Super Bowl." If you want to say that and really get the essence of what IE was going for, you have to use the past subjunctive, i.e., hubiesen ganado.

I was a Spanish minor too and that means nothing. Just sayin...
        Relajate, boludo. Mi esposa ensena espanol. Tu novia es de Espana. Felicitaciones. Yo estaba tratando de ayudar, nada mas. Joder.
        You're my boy, Blue.

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
          So as homework I'm supposed to write sentences expressing desires or wishes.

Basically you can express the desire in the future or the past and in one of three ways.

Future: possible, it MIGHT be possible, or impossible.

Past: It would have been possible, it might have been possible or it would have been impossible.

So now I'm wondering how to say "I wish the Eagles had won a Super Bowl" and "I want the Eagles to win a Super Bowl" in Spanish.
          Sorry if I gave you the wrong thing.

Edited to add: I reported to the wall.
          Last edited by Brett27; 03-01-2016, 05:56 PM.
          You're my boy, Blue.

Comment

Originally posted by Brett27 View Post
            Relajate, boludo. Mi esposa ensena espanol. Tu novia es de Espana. Felicitaciones. Yo estaba tratando de ayudar, nada mas. Joder.
            claro. lo siento. was talking more about ese klaus though...

Comment

Working...
            X