People say that one of Chip Kelly's big mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People say that one of Chip Kelly's big mistakes

was not blowing it up in year one and rebuilding from there.

Are Lurch and Howie making the same mistake?
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

I don't think so. Chip Kelly had a very specific system that needed very specific players (although once he got them, they all sucked).

This defense has a lot of potential, especially with Jim Schwartz at the helm. Our offense is a mess, but to me, that actually makes sticking with Sam for 2 years a better option. If you draft the QB of the future and start him this year, he's gonna have bad protection from an awful line, and be throwing to bad WRs. That could ruin him. David Carr-type situation.

I don't dislike any of the off-season moves thus far. I just distrust Howie's ability to identify and cultivate young talent....both on the field and in the front office.

Comment

So what do you tell a Malcolm Jenkins or a Fletcher Cox?

"Hey listen, guys. We're blowing this thing up and it's not going to be pretty around here for maybe 3 years. I know you probably won't have contracts by then, but we'll work something out. Please be patient while we figure out if the quarterback we draft is any good. Thank you."

Comment

Originally posted by Two Gap Penetrator View Post
        "Hey listen, guys. We're blowing this thing up and it's not going to be pretty around here for maybe 3 years. I know you probably won't have contracts by then, but we'll work something out. Please be patient while we figure out if the quarterback we draft is any good. Thank you."
        Maybe that's what you do tell them.

Or maybe you tell Fletcher Cox. "Hey, listen. We overpaid for a mediocre QB and we are going to be cash strapped as a result, so your contract will have to wait. Please be patient because we can't do a new deal with you right now. Thank you."
        --------

Comment

If you draft your own QB and throw him to the wolves, that should buy you some time to build what you want (Gus Bradley). If you draft the wrong one, you may have a chance to grab another one the following season (Jimmy Clausen to Cam Newton). If you draft the correct QB, that could buy you a decade (Andy Reid). If you stick with a Bradford, you're most likely going to be another Chip Kelly.

Comment

Except for the part where that isn't really true. He's going to get paid.
            "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

the blowing shit up logic is nonsense. What coach would sacrifice his first opportunity as a head coach to completely rebuild. Win or you're out. That's the way the NFL is. No one has the patience to completely blow shit up. If I'm a head coach for the first time, no way in hell am I risking that. Everyone is too impatient to win

Comment

Your questions are based on accepting what "people" say?

Comment

Originally posted by Susquehanna Birder View Post
                  Your questions are based on accepting what "people" say?
                  I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. Is it intended to discredit the question?
                  --------

Comment

It would certainly send the wrong message to vets like Cox, who you are hoping to sign long-term.
                    -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
                      It would certainly send the wrong message to vets like Cox, who you are hoping to sign long-term.
                      Cox wants cash. Money is the message. If you have been following his Twitter he appears to be wondering why they haven't done a deal with him. I doubt that doing a deal with Bradford before him sent him the right message.
                      --------

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                        was not blowing it up in year one and rebuilding from there.

Are Lurch and Howie making the same mistake?
                        I'm not sure Kelly's mistake was keeping most of Reid's players. His problem was he and Howie just couldn't bring in the guys they needed to improve. It sucks they couldn't get Mariota, but enough teams have shown you can win without the no. 1 or 2 overall pick at QB.

So I don't think they're wrong keeping the quality players they have now. But once again, it's on Howie to bring in quality players to improve. And based on what we've seen, I'm not at all sure he has what it takes to do it. Hopefully Howie 2.0 actually knows what he's doing, but that's just wishful thinking until we see any proof of it.

Comment

Don't you think they have been communicating with him? Roseman has already said he is going to get superstar money. I can understand some speculation from him, but, at the end of the day, do you think Cox cares if he is the first or fifth guy signed as long as his bottom line is the richest?
                          Last edited by McCarthy12; 03-03-2016, 11:41 AM.
                          "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Not trying to discredit, just skeptical of the way you presented it. You're asking us to accept a position based on what a questionable source may or may not have said, and then to formulate an opinion based on that dubious fact. Answering the question validates the premise, which I personally reject.

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
                              Don't you think they have been communicating with him? Roseman has already said he is going to get superstar money. I can understand some speculation from him, but, at the end of the day, do you think Cox cares if he is the first or fifth guy signed as long as his bottom line is the richest?
                              Nothing is a done deal until it's a done deal. We don't know how much Cox wants and how much HowLo has offered.
                              --------

Comment

Working...
                              X