OT: A question for you MBA types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: A question for you MBA types

My employer is offering me some perks if I get a course under my belt that teaches me "how to manage people." In other words, "You're kind of an asshole, and I want you to be less of a liability."

I've looked at a few different schools, and most classes on the business side seem to be statistics, accounting, and other numbers-oriented curriculum.

Has anyone had programs that deal with the human side of business, and can tell me what types of class names I should be looking for?

Thanks!
    -Slizz of Wangnutz

Get this book.....

Read it, and then do the opposite.

http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Oil-New-...exas+oil+isser

Comment

In all seriousness....

If you've come HERE looking for answers on how to deal with people, you REALLY don't know how to deal with people.

Comment

I'm looking for business jargon for a business class that deals with people, not numbers.

I'm sure there are leper colonies with books on the high jump.
        -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Emotional Intelligence 101. There's a guy in San Francisco that teaches. Not sure if you can do distance learning. I heard he's a bit of a dick though.
          Last edited by JuTMSY4; 03-08-2016, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Do they want you to take a conventional graduate course?

Or a condensed leadership program? My beloved Penn State has an excellent selection of programs - here's one that might fit the bill

http://ohr.psu.edu/learning/certific...s/supervision/
            "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Here ya go

http://www.dalecarnegie.com/

Comment

PS I have an MBA in strategic management

Most of the courses were base business, but there were others more specific to management, leadership, negotiation, etc

Comment

Organizational Leadership is a good one as well

Comment

No wonder your Photoshop skills are so bad

Bwahahahahaha! You don't have a creative bone in your BODY!!!

Comment

It doesn't even need to be grad level. It could be a program that is part of an undergrad degree, really. He just prefers a semester-long class versus a workshop or seminar.
                      -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Hey you've seen my StinkedIn "pic"

I'm the toon-meister. Gonna set up a caricature stand in the mall when I retire

Comment

I took undergrad and graduate courses on "Organizational Behavior & Theory". If you find something that sounds anything like that, it may be in the ballpark you're looking for.

Comment

You'll have to go to a local university and inquire

Unless your employer has a deal with them that allows taking a single class (IG should know more about all this), not sure how you'd proceed. We have a deal with Princeton where employees can audit a class in chemistry or related topics - but you don't actually get credit. Not sure if something like that would fit the bill. I'd push for a week-long program like the one I linked earlier - you'd get more out of it and it's more tailored to what you're looking for

Comment

That's good to know. We have a great business school here (Olin), but that'll be pricey. Honestly, it would be ideal to find something of this nature at the community college level, because I'm certain I could just do an individual class there, and it would not be expensive.
                              -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Working...
                              X