Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Before I burn my place down...rigging a ceiling fan to plug into socket on wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Before I burn my place down...rigging a ceiling fan to plug into socket on wall

I moved into my place years ago and had no ceiling fan in the large main room...11' ft ceilings. I bought an adapter kit so I could just wire the fan right to an electrical cord and plug it into the wall. It worked very well for years except the brand of fan I bought from Home Depot kept on malfunctioning and I would keep calling the manufacturer to send a replacement part...definately electrical problem in nature. BUT, since there were many complaints online of this fan I didn't think it was a wiring problem. Well, my fan died again and I'm going to just replace the damn thing.

Does anyone have any experience with doing the same thing, converting a ceiling fan to plug into an outlet? Any issues?

Another question I now have is the new fan I bought has a more efficient DC motor instead of an AC motor...does this bring any unforeseen issues into the mix?

Thanks ahead of time.
    YOU KILLED TED YOU MEDIEVAL DICKWEED!

The interface should still be to your AC house electricity, right? I don't see any issues with the internals of the fan being DC controlled. Just make sure that the connecting cable you're using is properly rated for the current draw of the new fan.

Comment

You mean those brown extension cords you can get at CVS are no good?
      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

They're okay if you zip tie a bunch of 'em together. Gives it that real ghetto appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Susquehanna Birder View Post
          The interface should still be to your AC house electricity, right? I don't see any issues with the internals of the fan being DC controlled. Just make sure that the connecting cable you're using is properly rated for the current draw of the new fan.
          Yup, still plugged into AC house elec. I bought one of those ceiling fan swag kits to adapt the setup so, I know it's doable, just wasn't sure of the DC motor and also a little hesitant due to the problems I've had with the previous POS fan from Home Depot.

guess we'll see what happens...I should've bought the extra warranty at Lowes.
          Last edited by Cheesesteak; 03-11-2016, 02:33 PM.
          YOU KILLED TED YOU MEDIEVAL DICKWEED!

Comment

Working...
          X