Question for philly area Non Nova Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for philly area Non Nova Fans

Are you really happy for them and the area or deep Down were you hoping they'd lose in gut wrenching fashion?

If I went to TU I don't think I could have pulled for them. Just Being totally honest. I'd rather see them fall short than win. Never want a mortal enemy to win.

People down here (Unc, Duke, NC St fans) would NEVER root for the other in title game. They'll actually laugh if you ask them that question.

Duke and state fans cannot wait to get to work today.

I was happy they won. My son (a TU fan) was appreciative of their accomplishment, without any apparent hatred...but he had Temple beating Villanova earlier in the tourney.

With regard to how competition in the area works, I'm assuming that despite the local rivalries that exist, there is something deeper in the love for Philadelphia hoops. Any team reaching the summit helps to promote the overall welfare of the sport that has such deep roots in the region.

Comment

this. philadelphia hoops is a culture. even though villanova has been a powerhouse over the last 10 years, they're not part of the duke-UNC-kentucky-uconn perennial elite. rooting for one of those teams is like rooting for the yankees. it's good for the city if a philadelphia team wins.

obviously, there are those who argue the same thing about the ACC. but the ACC is vanilla sports culture. those teams are expected to win every year anyway. for this reason i view a fan of one ACC team rooting for another almost the same as a fan of a pro sports team rooting for a divisional rival i.e., a fraud.

Comment

I didn't go to college down here. I'm happy that the Town has a buzz - that's always fun. However, a month from now, it probably won't be any different to me than if they had flamed out, as many predicted, in the sweet 16.

However, I totally get the outside Philly private school thing. If I were a Temple alum, I definitely would have rooted for them to lose. Moreover, rooting for your rivals is just weird. SEC chants coming from LSU or Auburn when Alabama wins a national title seems just as gross.
        Last edited by JuTMSY4; 04-05-2016, 08:23 AM.

Comment

I definitely wasn't cheering for them to win last night, but I also wasn't actively cheering against them. Playing against a crooked powerhouse made it hard to really pull for their opponent.

I wasn't overjoyed when they won but there wasn't much I could do but give TD, Wright and Nova their props.

It didn't sting like watching NYG, DAL or the Mets win a title, but it wasn't enjoyable either.

Comment

The fact they were playing a Unc team that shouldn't even be in the tourney with all of the AFAM and academic fraud issues does add an extra layer to it. Have never liked Roy Williams and fact NCAA let them even participate in this year's madness pissed a lot of people off.

AS a whole, UNC fans have an entitled, aloof air to them. some aren't and I have friends & colleagues who are great fans and level headed people. But as a whole they're an arrogant bunch.

Probably very similar to Nova alums and students even though it's a public U.
            Last edited by Ellsworth; 04-05-2016, 08:52 AM.

Comment

i get that vibe more from duke than UNC.

Comment

I have a friend that is a huge UNC fan...and NJ devils fan, Bulls Fan, Mets fan and Cowboys fan. Actually, he's not really a friend come to think of it.

Anyways, I went to Delaware so I have no love for Villanova...but I despise UNC so I was all for Villanova last night.
                “I am going to literally sodomize you on the field of battle. I am going to have non-consensual sex with your face and your butt. Then I’m going after your wife and kid”

Comment

yeah, wouldn't be a friend of mine either. fans of both schools tend to be frauds though. UNC is more of a big regional thing like penn state. kind of the average guy's team, going back a long while since there weren't pro sports in NC for so long. lots of casual fans. duke is a private school and the only people i've ever met who went there have been my professors. you have to be a huge douche to be a duke fan if you didn't go there.

the best professor i had in undergrad was a duke grad. the worst professor i've had in postgrad, and possibly ever, is a duke grad.

Comment

Originally posted by Sect 236 View Post
                    I definitely wasn't cheering for them to win last night, but I also wasn't actively cheering against them. Playing against a crooked powerhouse made it hard to really pull for their opponent.

I wasn't overjoyed when they won but there wasn't much I could do but give TD, Wright and Nova their props.

It didn't sting like watching NYG, DAL or the Mets win a title, but it wasn't enjoyable either.
                    Well said and pretty much sums up my take on it

Comment

Fully understand....

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
                      Are you really happy for them and the area or deep Down were you hoping they'd lose in gut wrenching fashion?

If I went to TU I don't think I could have pulled for them. Just Being totally honest. I'd rather see them fall short than win. Never want a mortal enemy to win.

People down here (Unc, Duke, NC St fans) would NEVER root for the other in title game. They'll actually laugh if you ask them that question.

Duke and state fans cannot wait to get to work today.
                      ....I'm a VCU grad, you will never see me rooting or cheery for a Richmond victory. Fuck'em.

I can fully understand the perspective for TU fans and other Philly locals who were not jumping for joy about Villanova's run.
                      "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

Just remind them.

It took a New Yorker to make basketball relevant in North Carolina.
                        John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

You live in NC right? I'm glad Jinxworth affects that area too and not just the Iggles. Clemson, Panthers, UNC... anyone else lately?

Comment

The jinx is strong is this 1

Comment

I am as die-hard of a Temple fan as there is. I'll admit that I pay money to subscribe to a Temple message board which has been 90% posts complaining about Fran Dunphy for 2 years.

With that being said - I have always disliked Villanova and the whole Rick/Jalen Brunson drama really made it hard to watch them this year. BUT by the time they made the Final 4 I could only respect what Villanova was doing. You can call it toughness/heart but I have never seen a team that was as constantly resilient as this team. I know many die-hard Temple fans are sick but personally I have nothing but respect for them today.

Fran Dunphy should be awarded a championship ring for the time he spent recruiting Villanova's rotation. Dunphy was on Ochefu for 4 years and all but had him commit at one point but rather than but the pressure on, he told Ochefu to take his time. In that BRIEF period, Jay Wright snuck in and grabbed him. The 2 programs are now worlds apart.
                              Last edited by SEAGULS; 04-06-2016, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X