X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed Snider Passes away

Earlier today.

RIP

Comcast Spectacor chairman and legendary Flyers owner Ed Snider passed away on Monday, the Flyers announced just two days after clinching a post-season birth. He was 83-years-old.

Snider had been battling illness, receiving treatment at his California home after a recurrence of cancer. The Flyers visited Snider at his home on New Year’s Eve and proceeded to go on an impressive run, which they are hoping will carry them into the postseason.
    Last edited by JuTMSY4; 04-11-2016, 08:15 AM.

Thanks Ed

You took a chance on the Philadelphia market when the NHL was a six-city league and gave sports fans like me the opportunity to see what it was all about. Today, my wife and I have a 16-year old granddaughter and her 14-year old brother who are Flyers' crazy -- they and countless others like them are your legacy.

Rest In Peace, good sir.
    "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly Green View Post
      You took a chance on the Philadelphia market when the NHL was a six-city league and gave sports fans like me the opportunity to see what it was all about. Today, my wife and I have a 16-year old granddaughter and her 14-year old brother who are Flyers' crazy -- they and countless others like them are your legacy.

Rest In Peace, good sir.
      Well said KG. A lot of people had "differing" opinions on Ed, but you can't deny what he did for hockey in Philadelphia, not to mention the amazing things he did for the community and charities in Philly. RIP Ed.

Comment

Agreed. There's no doubt that his legacy will be a strong one.

Comment

The Spectrum was amazing. Even if you didn't like him as a sports owner (I would say he was a better sports owner than most in Philadelphia) you have to give him credit for the Spectrum. That place was one of the greatest concert venues ever!

RIP
          --------
          "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

RIP Ed....you will be missed and not forgotten
            YOU KILLED TED YOU MEDIEVAL DICKWEED!

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly Green View Post

Rest In Peace, good sir.
              Hey KG, you should appreciate this piece by your hero Bill Lyon.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...to_Philly.html

I thought it was a good article but I had to laugh when I read the ending, Comrade Green.
              --------

Comment

Met him a few times...always nice to me

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                The Spectrum was amazing. Even if you didn't like him as a sports owner (I would say he was a better sports owner than most in Philadelphia) you have to give him credit for the Spectrum. That place was one of the greatest concert venues ever!

RIP
                ...a total nobody. I have been big-timed by many lesser lights who were nowhere close to this guy. A true pioneer of Philadelphia sports.

RIP Ed.
                Last edited by Irish George; 04-11-2016, 10:19 AM.
                Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
                May 7, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
                  Very Sad, good owner and passionate about the Flyers and Hockey. RIP

Comment

Best owner in the city.

Period.

RIP Ed.
                    John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

Great interview / article with Snider and others about the Spectrum.

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/the-full-spectrum/
                      --------

Comment

Ed Snider kicks in ref's door

Borrowed from a CSN article:

snip
                        ---
                        Brind'Amour went on to tell the story of a game he got kicked out of -- which he deserved to get kicked out of.
                        "I can remember being in the locker room after the game, dejected of what just happened. And as the players walked in I saw Mr. Snider come walking in the locker room. I remember immediately putting my head down and thinking, 'oh please don't come to my stall. Please don't come to my stall.' This was not a night you wanted to be talking to the owner. When I looked up he was standing right in front of me. I remember thinking by the look on his face that he was not happy and that you didn't want to upset the owner of the Flyers. Maybe I had just played my last game."
                        "He went on to ask me what happened on the ice that made me react the way I did. I told him what happened. I said, 'Mr. Snider, the ref said that the call on the ice made no difference, because we weren't a good enough hockey team to make the playoffs, and that I wasn't a proven player yet to have the ref waste his time talking to me. I should just be grateful for the fact that I'd have a nice long summer to improve my golf game. Before I could finish the rest of the story -- I deserved to get kicked out of that game after what happened -- Mr. Snider tore out of the Flyers' locker room."
                        "In the old Spectrum the referee's room was right outside of the Flyers locker room. I could hear Mr. Snider kick in the referee's door. He had a little conversation with that ref. In it he said to that ref that he could live with the bad calls. In the NHL, he expected a higher standard. That calls would go for an against him. He'd live with that. But he wouldn't stand for was mistreatment of his players. He said, 'Don't you ever talk to that kid or any of my players like that ever again.'"

---
                        snip
                        John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

Thanks For Sharing, Boss

Bill Lyon is indeed my idol and that was vintage stuff. I appreciate the link.
                          "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

Bwaaaaa!

Originally posted by Loki View Post
                            Borrowed from a CSN article:

snip
                            ---
                            Brind'Amour went on to tell the story of a game he got kicked out of -- which he deserved to get kicked out of.
                            "I can remember being in the locker room after the game, dejected of what just happened. And as the players walked in I saw Mr. Snider come walking in the locker room. I remember immediately putting my head down and thinking, 'oh please don't come to my stall. Please don't come to my stall.' This was not a night you wanted to be talking to the owner. When I looked up he was standing right in front of me. I remember thinking by the look on his face that he was not happy and that you didn't want to upset the owner of the Flyers. Maybe I had just played my last game."
                            "He went on to ask me what happened on the ice that made me react the way I did. I told him what happened. I said, 'Mr. Snider, the ref said that the call on the ice made no difference, because we weren't a good enough hockey team to make the playoffs, and that I wasn't a proven player yet to have the ref waste his time talking to me. I should just be grateful for the fact that I'd have a nice long summer to improve my golf game. Before I could finish the rest of the story -- I deserved to get kicked out of that game after what happened -- Mr. Snider tore out of the Flyers' locker room."
                            "In the old Spectrum the referee's room was right outside of the Flyers locker room. I could hear Mr. Snider kick in the referee's door. He had a little conversation with that ref. In it he said to that ref that he could live with the bad calls. In the NHL, he expected a higher standard. That calls would go for an against him. He'd live with that. But he wouldn't stand for was mistreatment of his players. He said, 'Don't you ever talk to that kid or any of my players like that ever again.'"

---
                            snip
                            RIP Ed
                            "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

I loved reading all of that stuff. Any of us who went to countless concerts/sporting events in that grand building can attest that it was indeed a special place. I didn't shed a tear or get emotional when the Vet came tumbling down but the Spectrum held a special place in many of our hearts and it killed me when the demolition began.

Love him or hate him there was no denying Ed's passion and desire to win. I'm gonna miss him.

RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X