The Eagles are a low EQ organization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Eagles are a low EQ organization

I went to this talk last night on emotional intelligence geared towards children entering kindergarten. Rather than evaluate my son's emotional intelligence, I spent most of the time thinking about the EQ of various members of the Eagles organization.

Sam Bradford - Low EQ. Lacks resiliency and flexibility. Not just physically, but, apparently, emotionally. Faced with a difficult situation where he does not appear to be getting his way, he throws a temper tantrum. As Donald Trump would say, "sad."

Howie Roseman - Really low EQ. Howie is the prototypical high IQ/low EQ individual. Great with numbers, but cannot get along with anyone. Given his position within the organization, this is bad. It is also unlikely to change (see "Jeff Lurie," below).

Chip Kelly - See "Howie Roseman." No wonder they didn't get along.

Andy Reid/Doug Pederson - High EQ. Neither of these guys would be described as geniuses. However, both are well liked and respected by their players and, in the case of Reid, his high EQ has more than compensated for his lack of IQ. There is some hope with Pederson.

Jeff Lurie - Lurie is more like the passive parent who does not understand how to foster high EQ, which is ironic, since he claims that is what he wants within the organization. The organization has been permeated by people with low EQ's for as long as he has owned the team (Banner before Roseman, McNabb to some extent) and I don't believe Lurie has the skill set to transform low EQ into high IQ.
    Last edited by McCarthy12; 04-26-2016, 08:45 AM.
    "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Not trying to be cynical here, but this is putting in terms of parents not parenting their children right? Being a parent to the child and not letting children decide what happens and when?

Howie is a fucking twit. Every sucessful organization has a hierarchy in which one person is the boss and they tow the line towards the same common goal. Chip was a insolent child, and paired with Howie we got this mess we are in now. Lurie at the end of the day either needs to take control or get someone competent that can do that. I hope that Pederson has the EQ (emotional quotient?) that you speak of here because this could go on for a while. The one good thing here is that Howie's fate is tied to this trade and draft, maybe... Who knows with Lurie. Can we fire him??
    Canada is like a really nice apartment over a meth lab.

Robin Williams

Comment

In terms of parenting, it seems like the FF would have a low EQ, no?

Comment

Yes and no. The talk was focused on developing high EQ in children, but these are traits that stay with you your entire life, and, in many cases are more attributable to your professional success than IQ. So my comparisons, with the exception of Lurie, were in that regard - the emotional intelligence of the adults running the Eagles. The organization, under Lurie, has filled the most important positions (with few exceptions) with low EQ individuals. The result has been drama, dysfunction and no Super Bowl.

Comment

EQ isn't really a measure of how you parent as much as a result (as seen in your child's behavior) of how you parent. For example, I think I have a pretty high EQ, but I learned that I'm not always doing the best things to foster that in my children (although I haven't reached the stage yet where my house has turned into a drug emporium).

EQ is simply your ability to relate to and deal with other people. I'm getting the impression that I wasn't very clear, which is a result of my low IQ.
          Last edited by McCarthy12; 04-26-2016, 09:49 AM.

Comment

So the same as in not developing your children right results in them being unproductive entitled adults, correct? We have an unproductive money making machine that is dysfunctional.
            Canada is like a really nice apartment over a meth lab.

Robin Williams

Comment

Exactly. And what I'm saying (somewhat in jest, but I do think there is truth here) is that Lurie's inability to, to date, to staff an organization with high EQ people has contributed to the lack of success. Maybe he has realized this and hiring Pederson was a step in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
                Yes and no. The talk was focused on developing high EQ in children, but these are traits that stay with you your entire life, and, in many cases are more attributable to your professional success than IQ. So my comparisons, with the exception of Lurie, were in that regard - the emotional intelligence of the adults running the Eagles. The organization, under Lurie, has filled the most important positions (with few exceptions) with low EQ individuals. The result has been drama, dysfunction and no Super Bowl.
                You spent time sitting through that bullshit?
                "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Well, first of all I was kind of snookered. It was entitled, "What your child really needs to know upon entering Kindergarten." I thought it was going to be about bringing a backpack and riding the bus. I guess the "really" in italics should have tipped me off. Again, product of my low IQ.

Second, it's actually not bs. Haven't you worked with someone who is very bright, but can't get along with anyone and, therefore, is disliked by everyone? Particularly if there is any sales component to your job, this is relevant. EQ trumps IQ all day in most jobs. It begins in early childhood.

Finally, with a two year old and four year old at home, I was happy to sit through this for two hours. It was like a mini-vacation.

Comment

heh

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
                    Second, it's actually not bs. Haven't you worked with someone who is very bright, but can't get along with anyone and, therefore, is disliked by everyone? Particularly if there is any sales component to your job, this is relevant. EQ trumps IQ all day in most jobs. It begins in early childhood.
                    I'd say lawyers are the masters of low EQ. High EG (and IQ) lawyers tend to excel for a variety of reasons.

Comment

They do for a while - until it is time to move past the associate level, at which point you have to be able to build relationships and bring in new clients. I know a few people I went to law school with who work at big firms and are brilliant, but lack people skills. They can write the heck out of a brief, but aren't good with clients. One of them, now 10 years in, was recently told he would never make partner and should consider a different line of work. At some point, you are no longer worth the salary at a law firm if you aren't driving revenue. They don't teach you that in law school, but it's no different than any other line of business.

Comment

Working...
                      X