Muhammad Ali Hospitalized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muhammad Ali Hospitalized

Reports say he's on life support and his family has been told that "the end is near"

Hopefully he's got one more fight left in him.

Parkinson's is a bitch

Originally posted by Sect 236 View Post
    Reports say he's on life support and his family has been told that "the end is near"

Hopefully he's got one more fight left in him.
    My dad was diagnosed sometime around 2002 and battled until 2013. Muhammad Ali has been kicking Parkinson's ass for over 30 years.

Speaking from only my personal experience, the breathing and swallowing issues mean that it's time. Muhammad Ali vs. Parkinson's will always have that extra special meaning for me, as he has hung so tough for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      My dad was diagnosed sometime around 2002 and battled until 2013. Muhammad Ali has been kicking Parkinson's ass for over 30 years.

Speaking from only my personal experience, the breathing and swallowing issues mean that it's time. Muhammad Ali vs. Parkinson's will always have that extra special meaning for me, as he has hung so tough for so long.
      Reports are that he has passed.

My question is if his suffering from Parkinson's had anything do do with his boxing career.
      --------
      "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

No that has been pretty much discounted. There isn't any proof that his boxing and the disease are connected.
        Canada is like a really nice apartment over a meth lab.

Robin Williams

Comment

When he was first diagnosed

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
          Reports are that he has passed.

My question is if his suffering from Parkinson's had anything do do with his boxing career.
          That was a thought. Now, there are more signs pointing to environmental causes and some genetic predisposition. My dad spent the majority of his youth working with farm chemicals (pesticides, etc.) with little or no protection. He even mentioned stirring certain "safer" chemicals with his hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            That was a thought. Now, there are more signs pointing to environmental causes and some genetic predisposition. My dad spent the majority of his youth working with farm chemicals (pesticides, etc.) with little or no protection. He even mentioned stirring certain "safer" chemicals with his hands.
            I believe it is something to look into. A genetic predisposition is one thing but it a predisposition, not a certainty.

IMO if there are other contributory causes we should try to find them in order to steer people at risk away from things that would put then at risk. I agree chemicals could be a risk factor.
            --------

Comment

Being in the golf industry, we use the some of the same chemicals that agriculture uses. Chemicals from the mid 80's were nasty and the 70's were worse yet. Pesticides based on heavy metals like mercury and cadium. Really toxic substances that are banned now. Some of the insecticides are chemicals that paralyze that the nervous system and parkinsons syndrome like symptoms are common in a lot of these older farmers that used this stuff back in the day. No one wore respirators or suits to keep the spray off of them. I know a couple older guys that are retired now and they have issues and most likely pesticide related and the way they handled them.
              Last edited by KenfromCanada; 06-04-2016, 01:55 PM.
              Canada is like a really nice apartment over a meth lab.

Robin Williams

Comment

Originally posted by KenfromCanada View Post
                Being in the golf industry, we use the some of the same chemicals that agriculture uses. Chemicals from the mid 80's were nasty and the 70's were worse yet. Pesticides based on heavy metals like mercury and cadium. Really toxic substances that are banned now. Some of the insecticides are chemicals that paralyze that the nervous system and parkinsons syndrome like symptoms are common in a lot of these older farmers that used this stuff back in the day. No one wore respirators or suits to keep the spray off of them. I know a couple older guys that are retired now and they have issues and most likely pesticide related and the way they handled them.
                What you say makes sense. Most pesticides are neurotoxins.
                --------

Comment

I've seen mixed reports on that.

Some say yes, some say no.

It certainly couldn't have helped.
                  John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

I know I'm a little late to this thread but don't think Ali had Parkinson's Disease ... he had Parkinson's Syndrome from getting hit in the head too much ... something I believe is called dementia pugilistica.
                    Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Working...
                    X