40 years ago today....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 years ago today....

Yes headlined at JFK. I'm guessing Deerspine Guy was there. Still holds the alltime record for attendance at a rock concert.

Tearing down JFK was a huge mistake. Visionary city planner Edmund Bacon (Kevin's dad) had a plan to renovate it for modern use and build a second deck and retractable roof over the whole thing that would have made for a 150,000 capacity, preserved the history and made Philly the center of mega-stadium events in the USA and the world. Oh, what could have been if city government and investors shared Bacon's vision.

Instead we got the Corestates, I mean First Union, I mean Wells Fargo center.

Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

Nice history tidbit and photo!

Comment

We (not they)

would have hosted half a dozen Super Bowls by now and Philly would have been awarded the Olympics, World cup final, etc etc etc
      May 7, 2010

Comment

Haha we had tix for that debacle

It was so crowded, there were a shitload of counterfeit tickets, so hot, so out of control, we left.
        "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Wow

Never seen that pic before. Unreal.

And you're right about JFK. The city blew it.

Comment

Yep the city lost some history right there for sure

Comment

I was there...

Don't forget opening acts Gary (Dream Weaver) Wright and the Pousette Dart Band...end of day there were flaming watermelon rinds being tossed about along with bonfires everywhere

Comment

I must be geigh

Originally posted by JB View Post
                Don't forget opening acts Gary (Dream Weaver) Wright and the Pousette Dart Band...end of day there were flaming watermelon rinds being tossed about along with bonfires everywhere
                Because not only do I remember Pousette Dart band, but I saw them in 1976 at college.

Posted from somewhere over the North Sea.
                DB

Comment

I guess you mean largest in Philly

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
                  Yes headlined at JFK. I'm guessing Deerspine Guy was there. Still holds the alltime record for attendance at a rock concert.

Tearing down JFK was a huge mistake. Visionary city planner Edmund Bacon (Kevin's dad) had a plan to renovate it for modern use and build a second deck and retractable roof over the whole thing that would have made for a 150,000 capacity, preserved the history and made Philly the center of mega-stadium events in the USA and the world. Oh, what could have been if city government and investors shared Bacon's vision.

But even that claim would be suspect based on this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_concerts

Or this one:

http://www.askmen.com/top_10/enterta...p_10_list.html

Nevertheless, it still looks like it was an acid-laced good time. I was at Live Aid and Live Aid definitely was smaller attendance than that.
                  Last edited by Dim Bulb; 06-14-2016, 08:42 AM.
                  DB

Comment

Probably largest stadium concert. Philly's had bigger numbers on the Parkway for several concerts.
                    Last edited by The Duck; 06-14-2016, 09:40 AM.

Comment

largest contained venue record

Originally posted by The Duck View Post
                      Probably largest stadium concert. Philly's had bigger numbers on the Parkway for several concerts.
                      or some such lingo
                      DB

Comment

If I remember correctly

the announced crowd was in the area of 112,000 but police estimate the actual number was much higher than that. As Riccardo stated, many folks crashed this show. JFK concerts were the best and the worst all at the same time.
                        May 7, 2010

Comment

the announced crowd was in the area of 112,000 but police estimate the actual number was much higher than that. As Riccardo stated, many folks crashed this show. JFK concerts were the best and the worst all at the same time.
                          Wiki has it at 130,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F..._(Philadelphia)

Comment

I've done my share

of pissing in the sinks in the men's room at JFK. Let us not forget it beat the snot out of RFK.
                            DB

Comment

Peter Frampton posted the same picture on his facenutz page today with the following commentary:

Originally posted by Peter Frampton
                              40 Years ago today myself and Yes headlined here at Philadelphia's JFK stadium. Officially, it was 110 thousand people! But it is heavily 'rumoured' that an extra 15 thousand tix were sold which managers/promoters didn't report and kept $$$ for themselves. It's only Rock n Roll and I like it .... But not all the time!
                              Record was never beaten .... JFK was later torn down.

Surreal looking isn't it?
                              --------
                              "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Working...
                              X