Kudos to Brazil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kudos to Brazil

Not a perfect Olympics...none of them are, but they pulled it off much better than what I feared with all the pre-event horror stories...some great moments in this Olympiad I will always remember.

Overall...way to go, Rio!
    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
    Not a perfect Olympics...none of them are, but they pulled it off much better than what I feared with all the pre-event horror stories...some great moments in this Olympiad I will always remember.

Yup, they pulled it off. Now lets see if it results in some permanent positive change for the city. The only place I can think of where that happened recently was in Barcelona.

Many other cities have had successful Olympics but those cities were already well established as world class. The Barcelona Olympics catapulted that city into world class status, IMO. Barcelona really was not a major tourist destination prior to those Olympics.
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Did you not hear about the US swimmers getting robbed at gunpoint???

Comment

I doubt the Olympics will solve things like...

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
        Yup, they pulled it off. Now lets see if it results in some permanent positive change for the city. The only place I can think of where that happened recently was in Barcelona.

Many other cities have had successful Olympics but those cities were already well established as world class. The Barcelona Olympics catapulted that city into world class status, IMO. Barcelona really was not a major tourist destination prior to those Olympics.
        the highest unsolved murder rate in the world, corruption and the terrible environmental problems they face in Rio.

Honestly, the IOC is probably just as corrupt as the Brazilian government.

But it was a heck of an Olympics.
        Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
        May 7, 2010

Comment

Agree

A few observations:

1. Other than Keb breaking down today for some internal reason (no stamina, Donald Trump would say), I saw no signs of water-induced illness in anyone. And I saw a lot of splashing, particularly in the kayak sprint. Man, that race was crazy.

2. NBC sucks. Mary Carillo sucks worse. Bob Costas is short and he sucks. Al Michaels doesn't suck, but he looked really uncomfortable most of the time.

3. The men's 4x100 team is consistent in its ability to find new and inventive ways to DSQ. Well done.

4. The men's basketball team just relies on talent, nothing but one on one play. Not really that enjoyable to watch. If only Shaq were playing... (that's for the lurking Jerry)

5. How cool was it that we (that's right, I said "we") won the 1500? That was so completely unexpected. The shots of Centrowitz' family were priceless. Way to go Matt.

6. That swimming chick is ugly. She looks like an albino weasel. But the dudette can swim.

7. That Ryan Lochte story is bizarre. My money is on the fact that he was so shitfaced he just didn't remember squat except for random images.

8. I don't like opening ceremonies.

9. That chick who crashed on the descent of the woman's bike race, wow, that was about the worse crash I've seen.

10. It was weird to watch some of the track bike events. Took me back to the days at the Trexlertown Velodrome. The Keirin, the elimination race. Bizzare.

11. I respect Michael Phelps the way Shawn Andrews respected him.
          DB

Comment

Originally posted by Trotterforprez View Post
            Did you not hear about the US swimmers getting robbed at gunpoint???
            Bwhaaaaaaaa!

Comment

That men's soccer shootout was epic. So cool to watch that unfold.

Comment

Working...
              X