52nd Anniversary of Phillies collapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52nd Anniversary of Phillies collapse

52 years ago today they were seven games into their 10-game losing streak. Gene Mauch repeatedly started Jim Bunnning and Chris Short on two-days rest and 12-game winning, doghouse dwelling Art Mahaffey stayed on the bench. Top reliever Jack Baldshuln's wife was reportedly boffing African American outfielder Wes Covington, causing a clubhouse rift, and overall, the league's superior top talent tier finally caught up with our Phils.

But I still think of them as champions: Bunning's perfect game, Richie Allen's Rookie of the Year season, Johnny Callison getting MVP and winning the All Star game with a 10th inning walkoff homer.

And Tony "Little Dynamite" Gonzalez looking like a badass. Because he was.

The current Phils aren't good enough either, but give me hope for the future.

Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

MY DAD TOOK ME TO THE NEXT START BY BUNNING. DONT REMEMBER MUCH ABOUT IT. WE USED TO WALK TO CONNIE MACK MAYBE A DOZEN, FIFTEEN GAMES A YEAR. HE ALWAYS PUT ME BEHIND THEM DAMN POLES.. LIVED AT 11TH AND TIOGA, LONG WALK BUT WORTH IT.

BY THE WAY, JOHNNY CALLISON WAS MY CHILD HOOD PHILLY HERO. OLE NUMBER 6 BABY.
    Last edited by DEERSPINE GUY; 09-28-2016, 05:29 PM.
    "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

He was awesome

Originally posted by DEERSPINE GUY View Post
      MY DAD TOOK ME TO THE NEXT START BY BUNNING. DONT REMEMBER MUCH ABOUT IT. WE USED TO WALK TO CONNIE MACK MAYBE A DOZEN, FIFTEEN GAMES A YEAR. HE ALWAYS PUT ME BEHIND THEM DAMN POLES.. LIVED AT 11TH AND TIOGA, LONG WALK BUT WORTH IT.

BY THE WAY, JOHNNY CALLISON WAS MY CHILD HOOD PHILLY HERO. OLE NUMBER 6 BABY.
      Tended bar locally for a long time, supposedly a great guy as well.
      May 7, 2010

Comment

I Had The Pleasure Of Meeting Him

I was working at a radio station in Wellsboro PA and got a field pass for the 1974 Old Timers game between the 1950s Phillies and their 1960s counterparts.

I decided to stay in the dugout with the 60s team -- Dick Stuart befriended me and introduced me to everybody including Callison, who didn't stop smiling the whole time. I was in awe meeting him and fumbled my way through several questions, but he answered each one. Without a doubt a gentleman.
        "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

I met Senator Jim Bunning three years ago

in Clearwater. Interrupted his breakfast to thank him for all the great memories and he wound up inviting me to join him. Guy LOVED talking about his career, even those 64 Phils and the collapse. Talk about a class act.
          May 7, 2010

Comment

Working...
          X