Klinsmann fired. US needs new fútbol coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klinsmann fired. US needs new fútbol coach

I'm trying to figure out who the US soccer management actually answers to.
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

It was time after last debacle vs. Costa Rica...

loss to Mexico was OK (although they were clueless in the first half) His role as the leader of development of US players and lack of recognition of MLS as league to draw from led to his downfall.

To answer your question the President of US Soccer (in this case Sunil Gulati) runs to be leadership head each 4 years...he has run unopposed the last 2 times.

Comment

Can Chip apply??

Comment

Good one...

word is they've already talked to former coach Bruce Arena (whose contract runs out after MLS Cup) and Peter Vermes (coach and NJ native)

Comment

Boooo! No Arena

Comment

I'd like to see them bring in someone with international experience. No retreads.

Comment

Me too...

Originally posted by ishimonster View Post
              I'd like to see them bring in someone with international experience. No retreads.
              Arena was good in his time as USMNT manager. But bringin' the ol' ball coach back doesn't really work well. Ask the Foreskins about Joe Gibbs or Chelski about Mourinho. New manager, new start, no hard feelings/preconceived notions.
              You're my boy, Blue.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                loss to Mexico was OK (although they were clueless in the first half) His role as the leader of development of US players and lack of recognition of MLS as league to draw from led to his downfall.

To answer your question the President of US Soccer (in this case Sunil Gulati) runs to be leadership head each 4 years...he has run unopposed the last 2 times.
                Who gets to vote for the president? Trying to understand this. Also, where does the money come from? I assume the games, advertising, etc. But this is not like an NFL franchise where there is an owner rakes in the profits and enjoys any increase in value of the asset.
                --------
                "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Me 3
                  Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

There's only one goal right now and that is to qualify for Russia. All else regarding development is secondary. There is no big picture now. Arena will get the USMNT to Russia.

Comment

Klinsmann wasn't a retread?

Originally posted by ishimonster View Post
                      I'd take Arena in a flash. He's MLS's Buddy Ryan. Only more sarcastic. All he does is win.
                      DB

Comment

I agree with this. Nothing would be worse for the short or long term picture of US soccer than failing to qualify.
                        "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Now that

Originally posted by Dim Bulb View Post
                          I'd take Arena in a flash. He's MLS's Buddy Ryan. Only more sarcastic. All he does is win.
                          they chose Arena, I'll get behind him. He is sarcastic and arrogant, but his knowledge of MLS will allow him to choose the highest performing players among the league. I see why US Soccer chose who they chose. It's more of a "here and now" sentiment that we need a coach who can squeeze enough wins out of this team to qualify for Russia. It will be interesting to see if they retain him past that.

I'm more than willing to embrace Arena if he gets results. That's what Klinsmann's problem was. It seemed like cared more about flair than grinding out results. Most of the time he had the tail wagging the dog. As much as Arena annoys me, he'll keep his eyes on the prize, I think.
                          You're my boy, Blue.

Comment

Working...
                          X