Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Grief: Lame Johnson filing lawsuits against NFL and NLF Players association

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Grief: Lame Johnson filing lawsuits against NFL and NLF Players association

This will most likely not end up well.

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/20...wsuit-charges/

Character!

Thanks, Chump.
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

Sour grapes much?

Comment

I like it. The NFL's nebulous testing/disciplinary system needs more scrutiny.
      "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
        This will most likely not end up well.

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/20...wsuit-charges/

Character!
        Thanks, Chump.
        While lane should have known better... supplements are ass for any pro. Any sport. It's says one thing...but the company can include anything they want. Testing costs thousand's of dollars. The NFL wants the players taking this stuff (stronger and faster players) but don't want to test the supplements.

The FDA doesn't keep check on what is in the supplements. You could buy a jar of "approved" supplement...but it might have unlisted shit in it.
        Last edited by nerd; 11-23-2016, 01:01 AM.
        “I am going to literally sodomize you on the field of battle. I am going to have non-consensual sex with your face and your butt. Then I’m going after your wife and kid”

Comment

I agree (with a proviso) ... I am not sufficiently informed on the exact process but this situation seemed like horseshit to me.

I realize that, as an Eagle fan, I had a bias to want Johnson to not be suspended.

However, being as objective as I can, I was scratching my fucking head over how something can be on an approved NFL list as a supplement, but the player is still required to have it further tested?

WTF?
          Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
            I agree (with a proviso) ... I am not sufficiently informed on the exact process but this situation seemed like horseshit to me.

I realize that, as an Eagle fan, I had a bias to want Johnson to not be suspended.

However, being as objective as I can, I was scratching my fucking head over how something can be on an approved NFL list as a supplement, but the player is still required to have it further tested?

WTF?
            I still don't see how taking something on an "approved" list precludes also taking something else that is prohibited. I also don't see how you could prove that you weren't taking something prohibited.
            --------
            "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Well, if you could prove that the substance for which you tested positive was in the "approved" supplement, your contention would be more believable.

Particularly if it wasn't something that is likely to be taken as a single prohibited substance (I don't know if that is the case here ... just throwing it out there).

It's a matter of credibility, but it's still stupid of the NFL, IMO, to approve a supplement that has a component that contains a prohibited substance because this exact situation can occur ... no?

And I further contend that if that exists, the player should be given the benefit of the doubt because the NFL is sloppy in the administration of their drug program.
              Last edited by slag; 11-23-2016, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Problem for Johnson is that he has no credibility, having already failed once. Hard to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Agree though that is fishy to be suspended if you take a supplement that is on a list approved by the NFL. Then again, the NFL doesn't have a whole lot of credibility.
                "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post

WTF?
                  There is no list of approved supplements, it doesn't exist. There is a list of banned manufacturers and banned substances, but just because some company ISN'T on the banned list (yet), doesn't mean they are approved. NFL also offers to test anything the players want for free, just send it in and they will test it before you take it. How easy is that ?

The whole supplement thing is a total crock of shit, the players use it as a cloak to mask the fact they they are taking banned items. There is no reason to take these poorly manufactured, poorly controlled powders - because there is absolutely no evidence of efficacy. None.

All the supplements do is put together a slick marketing machine to promote the stuff- but if you have a half of a brain engaged you can read the disclaimer on every single bottle of the snake oil

It says:
                  This information has not been evaluated or approved by the FDA and is not based on scientific evidence from any source. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). These products are intended to support general well-being and are not intended to treat, diagnose, mitigate, prevent, or cure any condition or disease. If conditions persist, please seek advice from your medical doctor.

If they make any other claim without clinical proof they get fined and go to jail. The entire thing is stupid. The supplements aren't proven to do anything, so why take them ? The answer is because it gives them plausible deniability for getting popped for taking something that does work, but is banned.

Players who take supplements risk their career for no actual benefit- and anybody who is that stupid deserves exactly what they get: Suspended.

Comment

Supplements are being taken all the time out there ... if I had a dollar for every time I've seen a GNC (or other manufacturer's) supplement container on the shelf when an athlete is being interviewed in the locker room I'd be able to buy 10 overpriced coffees at Starbucks.

Comment

PS - having been educated on the NFL policy (which makes sense, because they aren't going to be responsible for everything out there and are only going to list shit they know has bad stuff in it), I see how it's stupid for a player to assume it's cool if it's not on the banned list.

On the other hand, I can see how a player could fuck up unintentionally because he's not that smart/careful.

I have a gut feeling here it was more stupidity than intent.

Either way, it's on him ... particularly when he had a prior.

Comment

Working...
                      X