This needs to be discussed more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This needs to be discussed more

Dimmy originally posted this link but it was buried in another thread. I think this topic deserves its own thread.

Wentz seems to have his head together, but his mechanics are definitively off.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/theres-...011427565.html
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

I saw/read that....

.... Not surprising really, a lot of rookies need some help. The good thing is the opinion in that article believes it is correctable.

Didn't DMac go through this as well, besides the worm burners I seem to remember he got a lot of throws smacked down in the early seasons??

It might have been for different reasons.

Winston and Mariotta had some issues as well but have sinced improved, both are looking much better this year.... Winston is still making some questionable throwing decisions however.
    "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
      .... Not surprising really, a lot of rookies need some help. The good thing is the opinion in that article believes it is correctable.

Didn't DMac go through this as well, besides the worm burners I seem to remember he got a lot of throws smacked down in the early seasons??

It might have been for different reasons.

Winston and Mariotta had some issues as well but have sinced improved, both are looking much better this year.... Winston is still making some questionable throwing decisions however.
      In my opinion, Donovan never had such a hitch in his throw.

All I can say is that if my untrained eye can see it, Wentz has a problem. Hopefully it is something that is correctable.

My untrained eye also does not like the sailing high throws. Hate to say it but I'd actually prefer the DMac wormburners.
      --------

Comment

IMHO, i think any mechanical issues he has in his throw are from rushing and due to lack of confidence in the OLine. I don't remember him sailing the ball as much early in the season when he had protection.

An argument could be made that a quicker release would help that so it is the same throwing motion regardless of being rushed or not.

Comment

mechanics can be fixed, lots of QBs had to re-make their delivery to succeed in the NFL, including IE's favorite, Rodgers who held the ball all wrong and started off the wrong foot when dropping back from under center.

Wentz would have been working on his mechanics if Bumford was still on the roster. Instead he got tossed into the fire and its a fair guess the coaches didn't have the time/inclination to make sweeping changes in early September after the trade went down.

Comment

Originally posted by PackWest View Post
            mechanics can be fixed, lots of QBs had to re-make their delivery to succeed in the NFL, including IE's favorite, Rodgers who held the ball all wrong and started off the wrong foot when dropping back from under center.

Wentz would have been working on his mechanics if Bumford was still on the roster. Instead he got tossed into the fire and its a fair guess the coaches didn't have the time/inclination to make sweeping changes in early September after the trade went down.
            Hahaha. You are correct that I don't like Rodgers. I'm not sure exactly why the guy bothers me, but he does.

I have more tangible reasons to hate Brady and Eli Manning but for some reason they don't annoy me as much.

As RSE has noted, no player has made more money for doing less than Bumford.
            --------

Comment

I don't care if Pederson does anything for the rest of the season other than straighten Wentz out. I really don't.

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post
                I don't care if Pederson does anything for the rest of the season other than straighten Wentz out. I really don't.
                Yes Wentz needs to be straightened out. Worst possible thing that could happen would be for him to get bentz.
                --------

Comment

My recollection is that Pederson had every intention of sitting him this year. Maybe this was part of the reason why. I'd be interested to know if, when the Bradford deal was offered, Pederson raised this as a potential negative and what, if anything, Howie the football guy thought.

I agree with the notion that it might be tough to work on this when you have to spend the week game planning for your next opponent. Probably something that has to be worked on during the offseason.
                  "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Originally posted by PackWest View Post

This is a good point. Cannot change someones throwing motion during the season when they are the starting QB. Would mess Wentz up mentally and you can get really bad results from the change at first.

Comment

Slackjaw was getting run out of NYC with his back-foot issues ... now he's a two time Super Bowl MVP.

Wentz can fix that shit ... he's "regressed" like rookies are wont do IMO, and, as intimated by others, its magnified by the problems with the line.
                      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Yeah, well Howlo put Pederson in Bradford mode with his make-it-up-as-you-go-along QB moves.

Teddy Bridgewater fell out of the sky into his lap and, lo and behold, Wentz was starting.
                        Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

To me, a Wentz pass does not come out clean. He seems to need to wind up to get the ball out.

That might be a good thing for a baseball pitcher where you might want to confuse the batter.

But it's not a good thing for a football QB where you have defenders wanting to bat or take the ball away.
                          --------

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                            To me, a Wentz pass does not come out clean. He seems to need to wind up to get the ball out.

That might be a good thing for a baseball pitcher where you might want to confuse the batter.

But it's not a good thing for a football QB where you have defenders wanting to bat or take the ball away.
                            so it looks like they id'd his mechanical issue in the off-season but needed a full-season to work on it to change it. Makes sense.

Not many pitchers change arm slot at times and are all that successful with it. i can't remember who it was but someone would drop down side-armed and it would work here and there...but for the most part they need to stick with one thing.

Halladay had something like that early in his career. I can't remember is he was more over the top and then went to the minors for a bit because he was getting rocked. i think he dropped his arm slot to more 3/4 and that is when he took off. BUT, it took a while to re-train him to get him to throw consistently like that.

Look at tebow...they had to work on him forever and it's still not all that great. It was better...but not much.

wentz apparently sailed his throws a bunch in the off-season...but with the trade of bradford, they couldn't spend that much time correcting it. had to spend more time game-planning.

Stinks, but just hoping he gets to the off-season healthy so they can work on it.

It really is mostly mechanics. For the most part, he makes good decisions, but the ball just takes off a bunch and he has accuracy issues.
                            “I am going to literally sodomize you on the field of battle. I am going to have non-consensual sex with your face and your butt. Then I’m going after your wife and kid”

Comment

I think he has just regressed with the shitty line, watching an away game I think it was Was or Detroit and the announcers clocked him and said he was getting the ball out quickly. Maybe it was just the plays called but it did seem to me at the games he was getting the delivery a bit quicker.
                              On Trumps handicap

“If Trump is a 2.8, Queen Elizabeth is a pole vaulter,” Reilly wrote

Comment

Working...
                              X