Can't imagine what Chargers fans are feeling today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
    They did vote but I don't think spanos was ever truly committed to keeping them there.

The chargers in LA is not going to work. I bet they don't even sell out that 27k MLS rental they'll be using. I hope they do horribly in LA. Same for raiders in Vegas but I think they'll be popular. I hate long standing iconic franchises leaving their fans holding their dicks.
    The Raiders have always been a travelling circus. Vegas is actually a perfect fit for them.

Comment

There was never a clear, unified vision. City wanted one thing, hoteliers wanted another and the Chargers something else. Spanos was unable to show enough leadership to bring all the factions together and he's really not a competent businessman. Spanos thought he had enough of the owners lined up for the first vote, only to be left standing alone at the altar while Kroenke won LA.

As far as LA goes, San Diego folks loathe LA, hate LA, can't stand LA. Less than zero chance they will follow them to LA. LA fucking sucks... from an SD point of view. We are totally grateful for Camp Pendleton, a 17 mile wide marine base/barrier between LA/OC and San Diego.
      ( thinking about building a wall or a moat)....

I've also read that the real reason behind the move was that Spanos intends to sell the franchise and that the buyers wanted him to handle the PR mess of moving the team and guide the process within the NFL- a new owner wouldn't have the ability to do that, while Spanos did. The valuation of the team doubles in LA compared to San Diego.

We'll see what happens, but if today's paper is any indication, its gonna be a tough road ahead to get tickets sold for this new lame-ass franchise

2 headlines today:
      "San Diego fans unleash their fury"
      "LA football fans couldn't possibly care less"

Comment

How does the value double if nobody wants to buy tickets in LA?
        Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Emperors new clothes
          The team valuations are stuck in yesterdays' news, but the bean counters are still using the linear, always-going-up graphs

I agree with you, its a bubble valuation. Everybody pees their pants over this huge LA market, but its a very diverse fan base with millions of Steeler/Giants/Packers/Iggles fans in LA. The NFL is hell-bent on having this succeed, but they better get in tune with the current reality

Same holds true for Kroenke's Rams, they bought a pig in a poke. Ratings are already down because of the arcane TV rules. LA fans used to be immune to the blackout rules that limit what games can be on opposite the local team. With no local teams, LA market got great games every weekend. Now they'll be forced to watch one of the local losers and some weekends both.

LA NFL = The Emperor's New Clothes

Comment

good analysis - thanks

Comment

The Raiders will always be the #1 team in LA. Those Raiders-Chargers AFC West matches will be pretty embarrassing when you look at the crowd.

I was at the Rams-Niners game this year and it was maybe 80% SF fans.

Comment

This was a good read by Justin Halpern.

https://theringer.com/san-diego-char...586#.ssqzfdttj

Comment

It certainly was.
                  Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Working...
                  X