Injuries, Poor Coaching, Secondary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injuries, Poor Coaching, Secondary

The Birds' bread & butter in 17' was putting points on the board early so the d-line could tee off on the opposing quarterback. Ever since Reich and Defilipo left, the Eagles have had an incredibly hard time scoring early in games. Gotta hold Pederson accountable and put the the blame on him. His refusal to bring in an offensive mind from outside the organization has hampered the creativity of the offense. Mike Groh is a good WR coach but an awful coordinator. The Eagles are full of possession-type receivers (Ertz, Jeffrey, Arcega-Whiteside, Hollins) who can't get separation or any YAC. The one receiver who actually can, Arrugula, can't catch. Having DJAX opened up a lot of space for those guys in wk 1, but I'm chalking that up to a coaching issue based solely on the fact that one player shouldn't dictate how an entire offense runs (hence, the lack of creativity/scheming).

The secondary hasn't been good in YEARS, but at least the Eagles always have had a strong d-line to help with that issue. This year, the d-line has under-performed in the pass rush, especially on the interior. Fletcher Cox still isn't fully healthy, but he has to play a ton since Jernigan and Jackson are both out. Even when they have gotten pressures there's not much they can do since the corners are abysmal. I do believe Roseman will make a move there this week- Will be tough to get excited b/c whoever the hell they bring in will probably get hurt.

At the end of the day, Gym Shorts' defense runs through the d-line and he's constantly leaving his corners isolated in hopes that the rush will get there before the QB can dissect the defense. Not sure if I want to trade a lot of draft capital for a corner. The Eagles are the third oldest team in the league- Getting a superstar DB means you have to pay them like one and they are already tight on cap with multiple long contracts. Birds need a fresh infusion of talent which then starts with bringing in someone in the front office who can evaluate draft talent since that's Howie's biggest weakness.
    Last edited by phillyeagles36; 10-14-2019, 01:49 AM.

Howie cannot for the life of him draft defense, offense he has been pretty good. Until this changes we will never have a great D like SF
    On Trumps handicap

“If Trump is a 2.8, Queen Elizabeth is a pole vaulter,” Reilly wrote

Comment

Couldn’t agree more. Defense will always be a challenge due to the rules favoring offense and scoring brings ratings however, our current defensive scheme has demonstrated over several seasons the same consistent flaws and little has been done IMO to address them. That’s coaching.
      "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

Speaking of coaching ... Gomer was quite Reid like in his game day moves ... dopey fake FG ... followed by dopey screen to Jeffrey on 3d and 3 when they were moving in to tie the game and had to settle for a field goal ... followed by not challenging the trap catch on the next series that led to a Viking TD
        Last edited by slag; 10-14-2019, 09:09 AM. Reason: typo
        Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by CbEagle View Post
          Howie cannot for the life of him draft defense, offense he has been pretty good. Until this changes we will never have a great D like SF
          Is it Roseman or was it Joe Douglas? The last time Howie ran a defense-focused draft on his own, he came away with Cox, Kendricks, Curry, and Boykin with his first four picks. That's really not bad. The next draft was about offense, but it was another solid group.

I've been all over Howie, but the more I think and read about it, it sounds like Joe Douglas set the board and ran the room. Howie may have had final say, but I think Douglas bears most of the responsibility for the last three drafts, especially the disastrous 2017 draft.

Comment

Originally posted by The Duck View Post

Is it Roseman or was it Joe Douglas? The last time Howie ran a defense-focused draft on his own, he came away with Cox, Kendricks, Curry, and Boykin with his first four picks. That's really not bad. The next draft was about offense, but it was another solid group.

I've been all over Howie, but the more I think and read about it, it sounds like Joe Douglas set the board and ran the room. Howie may have had final say, but I think Douglas bears most of the responsibility for the last three drafts, especially the disastrous 2017 draft.
            I can agree on that, I guess we have to wait till next year to truly find out and hope its not a disaster cause they need to draft D often
            On Trumps handicap

“If Trump is a 2.8, Queen Elizabeth is a pole vaulter,” Reilly wrote

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
              Speaking of coaching ... Gomer was quite Reid like in his game day moves ... dopey fake FG ... followed by dopey screen to Jeffrey on 3d and 3 when they were moving in to tie the game and had to settle for a field goal ... followed by not challenging the trap catch on the next series that led to a Viking TD
              Couldn't agree more.

Comment

Originally posted by The Duck View Post

*Diamond Joe Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post

*Diamond Joe Douglas
                  Just saw that an "anonymous" Eagles player complained to Josina Anderson that Howie dropped the ball with Ramsey. Vote of confidence!
                  "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Working...
                  X