• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foles 2013 vs. Wentz 2017

Foles 2013
    64% 27TD 2INT 119 rating
    Wentz 2017
    60% 33TD 7INT 101 rating

Granted, Wentz didn't finish 2017 but, statistically, Foles' season in 2013 was just as impressive. Point being that Foles was never actually as good as 2013. Wentz has to be 2017 Wentz otherwise he is just a good to very good qb. I'm not writing the guy off as an MVP type player, but I'm concerned that I may have to adjust my expectations.
    "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Courses for horses ... when Gomer changed the offense to implement Winnie the Pooh Motherfucker RPO elements, Foles started to get better and was lights out in the two biggest games of the year.

What's crazy about this shit though is that, if Julio Jones doesn't slip, this thread doesn't happen and we don't have a champion.
    Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
      Courses for horses ... when Gomer changed the offense to implement Winnie the Pooh Motherfucker RPO elements, Foles started to get better and was lights out in the two biggest games of the year.

What's crazy about this shit though is that, if Julio Jones doesn't slip, this thread doesn't happen and we don't have a champion.
      I've been thinking in general about how lucky we are that 2017 happened. I think the consciousness of this fan base would be in a much different place right now if it hadn't.

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
        Foles 2013
        64% 27TD 2INT 119 rating
        Wentz 2017
        60% 33TD 7INT 101 rating

Granted, Wentz didn't finish 2017 but, statistically, Foles' season in 2013 was just as impressive. Point being that Foles was never actually as good as 2013. Wentz has to be 2017 Wentz otherwise he is just a good to very good qb. I'm not writing the guy off as an MVP type player, but I'm concerned that I may have to adjust my expectations.
        I don't know how to phrase this correctly: Wentz plays better when he doesn't have restrictions. Wentz doesn't need to stay in the pocket. Wentz functions better when he looks to scramble after his second read. Gomer just needs to let him go out and ball. Football in the park with the homies is what Wentz is great at.

It reminds me of that scene in Any Given Sunday when Al Pacino tells Willie Beaman just to play street football.
        500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

Why does the RPO work for Foles and not Wentz?
          500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

I'm not going to argue Wentz vs. Foles here.

But I do want to note that I think that even if Jones caught that ball he would have been out of bounds. In fact, I think the reason he didn't catch it is because he was concerned about staying IN bounds.

That play happened literally, I mean LITERALLY in front of my seat. I believe I had a better view of it than any TV camera.
            --------
            "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

I've been thinking in general about how lucky we are that 2017 happened. I think the consciousness of this fan base would be in a much different place right now if it hadn't.
              It wasn't luck. They won on merit.
              --------

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post

Exactly. We won the fucking SB. Every SB winner caught breaks during their SB run. What was the Iggs break? Ohhhh...Wentz breaking his body and having to start the backup.

Comment

Totally agree about the fan base.

However, my focus was that although Foles moved the offense in the second half of that Falcon playoff game, he didn't close for coffee in the red zone and had to settle for FG's that resulted in the Falcons having a chance to make him a footnote instead of a Philadelphia icon ... which would preclude knee jerks from pining for him every time Wentz misses some throws.

One final thought ... Wentz is way early in his career ... he owned up to his responsibility for yesterday in his post game presser, which to me is a good sign.

It doesn't mean he's going to the HOF but I can wait awhile before I start going all jagoff, bust and chump on him.

You noted that Foles had one lights out year and it should be further noted that he wandered in the wilderness for awhile before he got into a perfect situation to be mad swag for a ring.

I'd like to see what Wentz does with some playmakers again.

Comment

I'm not going to argue Wentz vs. Foles here.

But I do want to note that I think that even if Jones caught that ball he would have been out of bounds. In fact, I think the reason he didn't catch it is because he was concerned about staying IN bounds.

That play happened literally, I mean LITERALLY in front of my seat. I believe I had a better view of it than any TV camera.
                    Uh, I was there too ... if he didn't fall down Ryan hits him 5 yards from the sideline ... he had total position on a much smaller single coverage guy (Mills, I'm pretty sure).

EDITED TO ADD: When he slipped, Ryan had to pump and keep rolling ... nobody with any sense is talking about the throw that was made ... it's about the one that couldn't be made because he fell.
                    Last edited by slag; 11-18-2019, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Uh, I was there too ... if he didn't fall down Ryan hits him 5 yards from the sideline ... he had total position on a much smaller single coverage guy (Mills, I'm pretty sure).
                      I stand by my observation. What happened happened.
                      --------

Comment

I stand by my observation. What happened happened.
                        What observation ... that he was on the sideline and it was too high? That has nothing to do with the reason why the Eagles lose if he does not slip

Comment

It didn't mean that they were lucky to win. Clearly not. I just meant that we, as a fanbase, are fortunate to have had that experience as it makes all of the post-2017 struggles far more palatable.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd & Inches View Post

Exactly. We won the fucking SB. Every SB winner caught breaks during their SB run. What was the Iggs break? Ohhhh...Wentz breaking his body and having to start the backup.
                            We are lucky as fans. I would never, even slightly, downplay what that team did. Especially not the GREAT Nick Foles. Think about where your head would be right now with this team if that had not happened? That was my point.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd & Inches View Post

Why does the RPO work for Foles and not Wentz?
                              It caught defensive coordinators off-guard then. The league's caught up with it since its use became widespread after the Eagles won a Super Bowl doing it.

If you have a running game defenses fear as much as the pass, and the passing game to capitalize, the RPO will work forever. Right now, the threat of Jordan Howard tearing off a seven yarder isn't enough to force defenses to sell out to stop him. Wentz needs a home run threat in the backfield and a couple of receivers to make this work.
                              Last edited by The Duck; 11-18-2019, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X