Foles 2013 vs. Wentz 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Duck View Post

It caught defensive coordinators off-guard then. The league's caught up with it since its use became widespread after the Eagles won a Super Bowl doing it.

If you have a running game defenses fear as much as the pass, and the passing game to capitalize, the RPO will work forever. Right now, the threat of Jordan Howard tearing off a seven yarder isn't enough to force defenses to sell out to stop him. Wentz needs a home run threat in the backfield and a couple of receivers to make this work.
    I have a feeling the offense is a lot better with just a legit deep threat ... even having Howard/Sanders.
    Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post

It didn't mean that they were lucky to win. Clearly not. I just meant that we, as a fanbase, are fortunate to have had that experience as it makes all of the post-2017 struggles far more palatable.
      It does, but it also makes it more frustrating to see them backslide into mediocrity so quickly. Nobody can take 2017 away from us, but being a one-hit wonder kind of sucks after the hit is over. And it'll really suck if we have to see the Cowboys win #6 anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd & Inches View Post

Why does the RPO work for Foles and not Wentz?
        IN MY OPINION, GOMER CALLS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT GAME FOR WENTZ THAN HE DID FOR FOLES. MORE RPO FOR FOLES, LESS FOR WENTZ.
        "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post

It didn't mean that they were lucky to win. Clearly not. I just meant that we, as a fanbase, are fortunate to have had that experience as it makes all of the post-2017 struggles far more palatable.
          I'll go with lucky. Even Ike Reese (!) has said it was "lightning in a bottle." So much of it depends on how the ball bounces (or doesn't) throughout the course of the year. They still had to play the games and still had to make the plays, but the entire season was full of "wows." Very much like the years the Vaggies won. What is pissing me off is things like Gomer's "The New Norm" proclamation and the continued ineptitude of Hose-man. That shit feeds the "lucky" and "lightning in a bottle" feeling for me. I can't say I'm surprised (hell, it IS the Iggles after all!), but the post SB letdown has been painful and beyond disappointing thus far; the "new norm" is too much like the "same old SHIT" for me.
          WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post

I have a feeling the offense is a lot better with just a legit deep threat ... even having Howard/Sanders.
            It would be, without question. But I keep going back to Dak, and what he looked like without Elliott in 2017 vs. what he looked like before the Cooper trade. Cooper made him much better, but without Elliott, he looked like a bottom third QB. He was nothing. Even last week against Minnesota, the Vikings keyed on Elliott for 3 1/2 quarters and Dak looked like Mahomes out there. As soon as they knew the Cowboys had no choice but to pass and didn't have to worry about Elliott anymore, Dak looked average at best. Elliott makes the thing work, even when he's being stopped (I know you know that).

WR is going to be the main focus this off-season. They'll probably go after Robbie Anderson and draft a couple of guys. But in a WR class as deep as this one is, that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be in the first (first round receivers scare me anyway). One of Swift, Taylor, and Dobbins are going to be on the board when the Eagles pick. I think any one of those guys -- Swift being my preference -- will be the lowest BCJ risk available IMO, and they'll do more to protect Wentz and help the passing game than a single receiver could. You can spend that first pick on a legit, day one home run hitter and still completely makeover the WR corps. We already have the QB, the line, the TEs, and a very good #2 RB. This offense can be made great in one offseason if they play their cards right.

Last edited by The Duck; 11-18-2019, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DEERSPINE GUY View Post

IN MY OPINION, GOMER CALLS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT GAME FOR WENTZ THAN HE DID FOR FOLES. MORE RPO FOR FOLES, LESS FOR WENTZ.
              He's calling RPOs, they're not working because the R and the P aren't very good.

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post

That play happened literally, I mean LITERALLY in front of my seat. I believe I had a better view of it than any TV camera.
                It was obvious on TV too. That throw never had a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Corkey_for_President View Post

I'll go with lucky. Even Ike Reese (!) has said it was "lightning in a bottle." So much of it depends on how the ball bounces (or doesn't) throughout the course of the year. They still had to play the games and still had to make the plays, but the entire season was full of "wows." Very much like the years the Vaggies won. What is pissing me off is things like Gomer's "The New Norm" proclamation and the continued ineptitude of Hose-man. That shit feeds the "lucky" and "lightning in a bottle" feeling for me. I can't say I'm surprised (hell, it IS the Iggles after all!), but the post SB letdown has been painful and beyond disappointing thus far; the "new norm" is too much like the "same old SHIT" for me.
                  There's an element of luck with every team that wins. I think Doug (with Reich if you want) out coached Belicheat, Foles outplayed Brady and in a game with zero defense, the Birds made the one defensive play that mattered.
                  "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Originally posted by broadstreetparade View Post

It was obvious on TV too. That throw never had a chance.
                    So what?

The throw that didn't happen because of the slip is the point, not the prayer Ryan was forced to try.

Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Working...
                    X