Can’t stand Marcus Hayes but I agree with this article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
    For me it's a guy who brings a culture that changes Ds for the better wherever he goes. That's Rivera. And when they added him a few years ago, I felt that way about Schwartz. That's why I'm not in a hurry to dump him for just anyone.

Who else is like that? Lovie Smith. Wade Phillips. Greg Williams (ugh, and hard pass). I know they're not all candidates or even interested in coaching in the NFL (Smith). That's just the type I have in mind if you're going to move on.

Lovie Smith would be a great choice, nice once forgot about him.

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
      For me it's a guy who brings a culture that changes Ds for the better wherever he goes. That's Rivera. And when they added him a few years ago, I felt that way about Schwartz. That's why I'm not in a hurry to dump him for just anyone.

Who else is like that? Lovie Smith. Wade Phillips. Greg Williams (ugh, and hard pass). I know they're not all candidates or even interested in coaching in the NFL (Smith). That's just the type I have in mind if you're going to move on.

+1 to this post...
      need a CULTURE CHANGE to the D... I believe personnel tools were there, scheme and attitude were not...

Comment

While I'm all for Undlin getting replaced, let's not overlook the fact that this team really doesn't have any high end talent on defense outside of Fletcher Cox. It's filled with declining assets and minimal young talent. I'd rather they keep Schwartz and find some playmakers on defense. I know it's easier said than done with this front office.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
          While I'm all for Undlin getting replaced, let's not overlook the fact that this team really doesn't have any high end talent on defense outside of Fletcher Cox. It's filled with declining assets and minimal young talent. I'd rather they keep Schwartz and find some playmakers on defense. I know it's easier said than done with this front office.
          Oddly, the secondary right now is essentially the same secondary that won the superbowl. Or, put another way, the same secondary that gave up 30 + points in the superbowl. Maybe the defense was never really that great. Really, it has been mediocre at best. Personally, I've seen enough of Schwartz, but, to your point, maybe this group just isn't as good as we think. I don't know.
          "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

I am in this camp, dependent upon how much say Schwartz had in defensive personnel. There really isn’t a lot of talent on this D and what talent there is has gotten old or regressed for whatever reason.
            ".........there is no experience in the NFL like walking out of the tunnel at the Vet and listening to the fans get on you for three solid hours. Those people invent new ways to abuse you every year." Bill Parcels on the Eagle's fans

Comment

Originally posted by joydivision View Post

For the sake of conversation. What makes RR a slam dunk D coordinator? Because he is coming off a HC gig from being a D coordinator? Or is known as a Defensive "guy"? Honestly idk what Carolina's D has really done the past few years, good but ... Not won the SB.

I wanted Schwartz his last year as Lions HC. Yeahhh, make that guy our DC, take some of workload off his plate. Let him work with our D and let them go eat, Yeahhh. I have to say he has lost my confidence with the choices made on the units he has full control of. Since the SB win the pieces decided to be kept (both O & D but we're taking D here) and let go have been baffling; Long, Fort so on. Hindsight, yes, some. Forrest through the trees, maybe.
              Howie's fault as well? Yes.

Edit to add: it sucks that Howie's offseason gameplan to build this team. all of it blew up. From the beginning of the season.
              Just a question, other than our SB which was won by the offense as our defense have up 500 passing yards a SB record and was horrific what exactly has Schwartz won?

Since 2001 he has either been a D coordinator or HC with Tennessee Detroit Buffalo and Philly and basically in 19 years has had a top 10 defense 5 times (with Fisher and Caldwell who are also defensive minded HC's) In the same span, he has had his defenses ranked in the bottom 5 6 times and the rest of the times were mediocre at best.

No we do not have talent in this team but he isn't exactly a savant of a defensive coordinator and at this point he is what he is, a bad coach and is easily upgradeable. No big loss letting this guy walk at all.

Get Rex Ryan off TV he would be way better than this putz

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by ishimonster View Post

Your measuring stick for the success of a defense is whether it was part of a Super Bowl winning team?
                No

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan92 View Post

Just a question, other than our SB which was won by the offense as our defense have up 500 passing yards a SB record and was horrific what exactly has Schwartz won?

​​​
                  Idk what he's won. He won DC job for the Philadelphia EAGLES and hasn't looked back since. I wasn't advocating for Scwartz.

Comment

While I am a big fan of Jenkins, he and McLeod are declining assets. I'm ok with keeping Mills. They just need to put someone better next to him. I don't think they draft that person this year because I feel wide receiver is a bigger priority in the first round. Now, I'm not a fan of taking a wideout in the first but they don't really have a choice. We know they can't evaluate talent at that position so they have to go early to help their odds in a deep WR draft. I'm also assuming they're stuck with Jeffrey and Jackson next year so that limits them going the free agency route. Wentz needs to have the wide receiver to grow with anyway. I digress. I think they need to find a reasonable-priced CB through free agency. At the end of the day, Schwartz is no Jim Johnson but they could do a lot worse.
                    Last edited by Snakebitten; 12-20-2019, 09:58 PM.

Comment

While I am a big fan of Jenkins, he and McLeod are declining assets. I'm ok with keeping Mills. They just need to put someone better next to him. I don't think they draft that person this year because I feel wide receiver is a bigger priority in the first round. Now, I'm not a fan of taking a wideout in the first but they don't really have a choice. We know they can't evaluate talent at that position so they have to go early to help their odds in a deep WR draft. I'm also assuming they're stuck with Jeffrey and Jackson next year so that limits them going the free agency route. Wentz needs to have the wide receiver to grow with anyway. I digress. I think they need to find a reasonable-priced CB through free agency. At the end of the day, Schwartz is no Jim Johnson but they could do a lot worse.
                      Mills is just horrible. No idea why you would him back unless ita for pennies

Comment

Originally posted by phillyeagles36 View Post

Mills is just horrible. No idea why you would him back unless ita for pennies
                        I wouldn't overpay him but I think he's fine as a #2 corner. Not every corner is Gilmore or Ramsey.

Comment

I wouldn't overpay him but I think he's fine as a #2 corner. Not every corner is Gilmore or Ramsey.
                          Exactly. Not sure what's out there FA-wise, but Mills is a solid #2 CB. He was a 7th round pick, is a tough tackler, and will never have elite speed and/or ball skills. I would think the Eagles are interested in keeping him on some kind of 3- or 4-year deal, maybe in the $7-9 million per year range. Maybe he can really cash in at the end of that contract...

Then draft a CB with one of the early round picks and your additional 2020 CBs are Maddox, LeBlanc and Jones (yuck). Fine by me. Douglas and Darby walk and you play the comp pick game with their departures.

Comment

Working...
                          X