The NFL changed the wrong rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NFL changed the wrong rule

The PI review is pointless, subjective, and inconsistent. They called OPI on Hollister when IMO the push off had a lower impact on the play than the push off to end the Saints game.

The worst part of the non-call against the Rams last year was the blatant helmet-to-helmet hit. The NFL claims to care about player safety. They need a booth reviewing dangerous hits. It would be way more effective than this year’s PI reviews, which basically never get overturned, and usually involve coaches challenging calls they don’t like.

Nice take. Questionable hits seems like a much more reviewable item than PI.
    -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

I don’t mean for this to come off as a take. I guess my post should have been shorter. I see no reason for a hit like that not to be reviewable when it’s objective and dangerous. The facemask non call on Sanders against Detroit was similar.

Comment

If the NFL was really serious about player safety they would review these hits. Not certain if it’s a good idea but it true a lot of personal fouls go unpenalized.
        --------
        "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
          If the NFL was really serious about player safety they would review these hits. Not certain if it’s a good idea but it true a lot of personal fouls go unpenalized.
          In the NCAA they will booth review targeting penalties even if the refs don’t see it on the field. That’s what happened in the Clemson-OSU game. No reason not to do it in the pros. Clowney would have been tossed.

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
            Wish Wentz had stayed down. Wonder if the refs would have changed their minds, for common sense, in the face of that replay showing on the Linc screens.

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post

In the NCAA they will booth review targeting penalties even if the refs don’t see it on the field. That’s what happened in the Clemson-OSU game. No reason not to do it in the pros. Clowney would have been tossed.
              This.

Comment

Great explanation:

"He was a runner and he did not give himself up. We saw incidental helmet contact, and in our judgment, we didn't rule that to be a foul."

Twitter has reminded me that Wentz was ruled to have given himself up when he was diving for the goal line against Atlanta.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
                  I don’t mean for this to come off as a take. I guess my post should have been shorter. I see no reason for a hit like that not to be reviewable when it’s objective and dangerous. The facemask non call on Sanders against Detroit was similar.
                  Why not? You make a good point.
                  Last edited by BigSlizz; 01-05-2020, 10:57 PM.
                  -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
                    I agree with the review aspect,,but no 15 yard penalty would change the fact your No1 Qb is done for the night,,That being said they could go to the College review system.
                    OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                    "BFTR"

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post

Why not? You make a good point.
                      I appreciate it. I thought maybe my post came off as a “hot take.” Guess I’ve gotten too used to 06hawkalum calling every post he doesn’t like a “take.”

I was looking forward to Lambeau next week man.

Comment

I caught the tail end of the Vikings/Saints game before watching the Eagles game on DirecTV here in Ecuador. You're right, the OPI call on Hollister was less severe than the push off by the Vikings receiver on the touchdown that ended that game yesterday. The NFL has a serious problem on it's hands because referees calls and non calls are determining the outcome of games.

Comment

Working...
                        X