Neil Peart died.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil Peart died.

67 years old, brain cancer. Next to Bonham, maybe one of the best drummers ever.
    Canada is like a really nice apartment over a meth lab.

Robin Williams

This utterly and completely sucks. RIP, Neil. You were amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by KenfromCanada View Post
      Next to Bonham, maybe one of the best drummers ever.
      I think you have that backwards.

Comment

There's no maybe about it. He's absolutely one of the best rock drummers to ever pick up a pair of sticks.

Comment

talking with an old taper head friend of mine,,he saw them on the Moving Pictures tour.. I saw them for signals,,he says maybe the best drummer I ever saw...I replied,,I never seen anyone better!

Palmer, Bruford,,Ginger Baker, come to mind, but was and will forever be the professor!
          OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
          "BFTR"

Comment

This absolutely sucks. Depressing news....saw RUSH live more times than I can count

RIP Neil

Time to break out the old albums
            "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

Maybe best drummer after Bonhan, Moon, and Phil Collins.

Rush was great so I'm not really argue about how good he was...

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
                Maybe best drummer after Bonhan, Moon, and Phil Collins.

Rush was great so I'm not really argue about how good he was...
                I'd go Collins, Peart, Bill Bruford, and Stewart Copeland. Palmer, Bonham, Moon, Portnoy, and Carey all get a seat at the table too. I really don't think there's a "best". Every one of those guys could do anything the others could do, they're all masters of rock drumming. Collins, Peart, and Bruford were the only ones that really ventured into jazz drumming that I know of, which is a whole other level of complexity (Phil's Brand X jazz-fusion stuff is insane). It really comes down to who had the most distinctive sound, and whose music you loved the most.

Rush is a top five band for me, and Peart *was* Rush... so this one really hurts. Amazing drummer, amazing songwriter. RIP, Professor.

Comment

After I read the news a few days ago of his passing and got past the initial shock, I remembered the first time I ever heard Rush. It was one afternoon back in my college days hanging out with my buddy who is a guitar player. He told me to check this album out he just picked up. He popped it in to his player and started up 2112. And it wasn't the amazing guitar playing or bass playing (even as a bass player myself) that grabbed my attention first. I remember thinking how I'd never heard someone play drums like that before. Ever. I was hooked and have been a huge fan ever since.

Rush is definitely a top five band for me too. I'd say top three, along with Pink Floyd and the Grateful Dead. I'm glad that I got to see them twice (nowhere near as many times as I would've liked). I caught them on their final tour in 2015 in Greensboro. Neil was amazing as always, as was Geddy and Alex. Seeing Geddy bust out the old double neck Rickenbacker for Xanadu was something I won't forget.

The world lost a great musician and songwriter. Rest easy, Mr. Peart.
                  "You on the other hand, describe your shit so many times and revel in how glorious or strange it looks that there is absolutely no doubt you most definitely DO have a shit fetish." - Kelly Green

Jim Lahey is a drunk bastard.

Comment

I’m grateful to have seen Rush in 1980 when they were at the height of their powers. RIP Neil. Thanks for the memories.

Comment

Originally posted by BirdsInNC View Post
                      After I read the news a few days ago of his passing and got past the initial shock, I remembered the first time I ever heard Rush. It was one afternoon back in my college days hanging out with my buddy who is a guitar player. He told me to check this album out he just picked up. He popped it in to his player and started up 2112. And it wasn't the amazing guitar playing or bass playing (even as a bass player myself) that grabbed my attention first. I remember thinking how I'd never heard someone play drums like that before. Ever. I was hooked and have been a huge fan ever since.

Rush is definitely a top five band for me too. I'd say top three, along with Pink Floyd and the Grateful Dead. I'm glad that I got to see them twice (nowhere near as many times as I would've liked). I caught them on their final tour in 2015 in Greensboro. Neil was amazing as always, as was Geddy and Alex. Seeing Geddy bust out the old double neck Rickenbacker for Xanadu was something I won't forget.

The world lost a great musician and songwriter. Rest easy, Mr. Peart.
                      Kathy and I saw R40 at MSG,,was our last show...glad we spent the extra cash for 1st level at the garden, of course spectrum was my 1st show second row baby! great memories
                      OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                      "BFTR"

Comment

Working...
                      X