No announcement yet.

The Byron Jones talk harshes my mellow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both of your points are irrational. You don't rule out the best player on the market because another one-time best player on the market didn't pan out a decade ago. That's like saying we shouldn't draft a WR in the first because Freddie Mitchell was a bust. It makes no sense.

And you don't rule out the best CB on the market because you got burned by Chris Boniol, DeRoacho Murray, or Orlando freaking Scandrick. Again, it makes no sense.

Fuck Dallas, fine. But if you're passing on premier players who can instantly make your team much better because of the helmet they used to wear (through no choice of their own), you're just fucking yourself.

Byron Jones is a damn good football player. Roseman should absolutely have interest in him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Duck View Post
      Both of your points are irrational. You don't rule out the best player on the market because another one-time best player on the market didn't pan out a decade ago. That's like saying we shouldn't draft a WR in the first because Freddie Mitchell was a bust. It makes no sense.

And you don't rule out the best CB on the market because you got burned by Chris Boniol, DeRoacho Murray, or Orlando freaking Scandrick. Again, it makes no sense.

Fuck Dallas, fine. But if you're passing on premier players who can instantly make your team much better because of the helmet they used to wear (through no choice of their own), you're just fucking yourself.

Byron Jones is a damn good football player. Roseman should absolutely have interest in him.
      Never said my thought process was logical. FUCK DALLAS AND ALL THEIR PLAYERS.

Plus, like I showed, I can name countless CB's just as good and far better than him and just because he is the best in the FA class doesn't mean he should be given a massive contract that may be regretted after a year or 2. You can always get another CB and not overpay for one who is good but not sure fire #1 like the other 10 named before.

Don't care that Slay is 29, if you can get him for Sidney Jones and a 3rd this guy is head and shoulders better than B. Jones and more worth the gamble. Oh, and he isn't a FUCKING COCKROACH!!! (yes, irrational but I don't care lol)

Comment

What does a list of unavailable players have to do with making this team better in 2020? Jones' contract will be the biggest until another top CB gets a new deal, then it won't be anymore. I don't care about Jeffrey Lurie's money or how much Jones makes relative to other good CBs. I care about getting better. That's it.

Sign Jones or Bradberry. Keep the picks. Too many glaring needs (WR, S, DT, LB, IOL) to be throwing away picks when there's no need to. Besides, the Lions taking a 3rd and Sidney is fan fiction, not reality. Slay is only an option if they strike out in free agency.

Comment

When it comes to the NFL, I'm not sure I ever want this team to give out a big contract to a free agent again. If they do, I'm probably fine with it being for an offensive lineman. Outside of that, I prefer they never go after anyone beyond the second tier. I'd rather they stick with the focus on the draft and fill in the gaps through dumpster diving and more conservative avenues. Jones is good but he will be overpaid and will not be playing for another big contract again. Most of these players downshift to another gear once they get paid. I'm ok if this team accumulates more compensation picks and spends little in free agency. A lot of good teams go that route.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
            When it comes to the NFL, I'm not sure I ever want this team to give out a big contract to a free agent again. If they do, I'm probably fine with it being for an offensive lineman. Outside of that, I prefer they never go after anyone beyond the second tier. I'd rather they stick with the focus on the draft and fill in the gaps through dumpster diving and more conservative avenues. Jones is good but he will be overpaid and will not be playing for another big contract again. Most of these players downshift to another gear once they get paid. I'm ok if this team accumulates more compensation picks and spends little in free agency. A lot of good teams go that route.
            I can accept that more than I can accept the ex-Cowboy stuff. I'm fine with the comp pick strategy in general, there just aren't really any good picks to preserve this year...definitely no 3rd or 4th round free agents (unless two teams go full-retard bidding over Vaitai). If you're going to make a splash signing or two, this is the offseason to do it.
            Last edited by The Duck; 02-22-2020, 10:45 PM.

Comment

What does a list of unavailable players have to do with making this team better in 2020? Jones' contract will be the biggest until another top CB gets a new deal, then it won't be anymore. I don't care about Jeffrey Lurie's money or how much Jones makes relative to other good CBs. I care about getting better. That's it.

Sign Jones or Bradberry. Keep the picks. Too many glaring needs (WR, S, DT, LB, IOL) to be throwing away picks when there's no need to. Besides, the Lions taking a 3rd and Sidney is fan fiction, not reality. Slay is only an option if they strike out in free agency.
              OK - LB Littleton or OLB Van Noy or Blake Martinez / S Justin Simmons (monster year) or Anthony Harris or Vonn Bell DT - Jones or Arik Armstead / CB - Bradberry or Harris or Roby or Trae Waynes or jimmy Smith or Logan Ryan (all a massive upgrade to what we have had) tones of good pass rushers and you can draft your stud WR 1st round to pair with Djax and get a 2nd tier WR like AJ Green or Anderson or E. Sanders or Demarcus Robinson (HINT HINT - NO COCKROACHES!!!) and roster can be fixed with plenty of options!!
              Last edited by Spartan92; 02-23-2020, 02:16 AM.

Comment

I can accept that more than I can accept the ex-Cowboy stuff. I'm fine with the comp pick strategy in general, there just aren't really any good picks to preserve this year...definitely no 3rd or 4th round free agents (unless two teams go full-retard bidding over Vaitai). If you're going to make a splash signing or two, this is the offseason to do it.
                I think Vaitai gets paid. He might not be worth it but offensive lineman are always in demand and there's a lot of bad lines out there. Regardless, Jones is about to break the bank and I don't think he's worth the risk. I expect him to be the NFL-version of Al Horford (to a lesser extent Bryce Harper) where people think they made a rival weaker and they end up hurting themselves. There will be a more reasonable options out there, they just need to find him. As far as making a splash, I just don't see that player out there this year.
                Last edited by Snakebitten; 02-23-2020, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post

I think Vaitai gets paid. He might not be worth it but offensive lineman are always in demand and there's a lot of bad lines out there. Regardless, Jones is about to break the bank and I don't think he's worth the risk. I expect him to be the NFL-version of Al Horford (to a lesser extent Bryce Harper) where people think they made a rival weaker and they end up hurting themselves. There will be a more reasonable options out there, they just need to find him. As far as making a splash, I just don't see that player out there this year.
                  I agree. Just bc he may be considered the best of this year's class doesn't mean you blow nearly 40% of your remaining cap to sign a non sure fire #1 player at that position just bc it is a position of need considering it was pointed out we have needs virtually everywhere!

Comment

I never understood the dismissive “I don’t care about Jeff Lurie’s money” when it comes to signing players. A salary cap requires assigning financial value to all players and/or positions on a team.

I do agree with your assessment as to why the Eagles should consideration Jones, but it should include the financial impact to the salary cap.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post

I never understood the dismissive “I don’t care about Jeff Lurie’s money” when it comes to signing players. A salary cap requires assigning financial value to all players and/or positions on a team.
                      It's not a concern for me because it's Roseman's strength. Even when he spent stupid money on the dream team, those were all very escapable contracts that didn't tie the team's hands for years down the road. I'm not suggesting being dumb, but the idea that Byron Jones is going to be the highest paid CB in football for a few months doesn't bother me. There are worse things you could spend that kind of money on than a versatile, hyper-athletic, high character athlete that fills your most glaring need on defense.

If it turns into a bidding war, and you're forced to do long-term damage to the team in order to acquire him, obviously you go to Plan B.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan92 View Post

OK - LB Littleton or OLB Van Noy or Blake Martinez / S Justin Simmons (monster year) or Anthony Harris or Vonn Bell DT - Jones or Arik Armstead / CB - Bradberry or Harris or Roby or Trae Waynes or jimmy Smith or Logan Ryan (all a massive upgrade to what we have had) tones of good pass rushers and you can draft your stud WR 1st round to pair with Djax and get a 2nd tier WR like AJ Green or Anderson or E. Sanders or Demarcus Robinson (HINT HINT - NO COCKROACHES!!!) and roster can be fixed with plenty of options!!
                        • Seriously doubt they spend $12-$14M a year on a linebacker (Littleton). But I wouldn't be upset if they did.
                        • Van Noy is one of several mid-tier options at LB ($7M AAV) that they might pursue in addition to CB1. But I would avoid players that only succeeded under Belichick.
                        • I'm not spending big money on an LB that can't cover (Martinez). Schobert makes more sense if they're going to sign a top tier LB over $10M (again, I doubt they will).
                        • Simmons is going precisely *nowhere*.
                        • Anthony Harris is someone they'll potentially be interested in to replace McLeod.
                        • Von Bell wants to stay in New Orleans.
                        • DT isn't where the big money is going this offseason. Too much $$ tied up in Cox and Jackson, and Ridgeway needs to be resigned. Late-tier FA, maybe. Draft, more likely.
                        • Bradberry is option #1a.
                        • Harris is on the wrong side of 30, and plays the slot (they need CB1 and CB2, not a slot man).
                        • Roby is decent, but he missed 6 games last year. After the last two seasons, I expect them to be extremely injury-risk averse.
                        • Waynes is a mediocre cover man. No thanks.
                        • Jimmy Smith is 31.
                        • Logan Ryan is a slot CB at this stage of his career. Not a great fit.
                        • You didn't mention Amukamara, but he should be considered on a short deal. I'd rather sign him, let Mills walk, and draft two more CBs, in addition to signing a CB1.
                        • AJ Green will be 32 on opening day, and hasn't played a snap since December, 2018. Screw that.
                        • Robbie Anderson is possible, but his behavior and arrest record should absolutely be a consideration before giving him $10+M a year.
                        • Emmanuel Sanders will be 33 on opening day.
                        • Demarcus Robinson is a WR4/Special Teamer. Not a premier FA by any stretch.
                        • You missed Perriman. That's the WR I want, but at around $7M, he doesn't preclude them from signing a Tier 1 player like Jones, Schobert, or Anthony Harris.

Of the names you have here, and the ones I added, Bryon Jones is still a clear, obvious fit for the Eagles among the premier players available. There are other player combinations that work too, but I promise you, Bryon Jones is one of several priority targets for Roseman. I have zero doubt about that.

Comment

• Seriously doubt they spend $12-$14M a year on a linebacker (Littleton). But I wouldn't be upset if they did.
                          • Van Noy is one of several mid-tier options at LB ($7M AAV) that they might pursue in addition to CB1. But I would avoid players that only succeeded under Belichick.
                          • I'm not spending big money on an LB that can't cover (Martinez). Schobert makes more sense if they're going to sign a top tier LB over $10M (again, I doubt they will).
                          • Simmons is going precisely *nowhere*.
                          • Anthony Harris is someone they'll potentially be interested in to replace McLeod.
                          • Von Bell wants to stay in New Orleans.
                          • DT isn't where the big money is going this offseason. Too much $$ tied up in Cox and Jackson, and Ridgeway needs to be resigned. Late-tier FA, maybe. Draft, more likely.
                          • Bradberry is option #1a.
                          • Harris is on the wrong side of 30, and plays the slot (they need CB1 and CB2, not a slot man).
                          • Roby is decent, but he missed 6 games last year. After the last two seasons, I expect them to be extremely injury-risk averse.
                          • Waynes is a mediocre cover man. No thanks.
                          • Jimmy Smith is 31.
                          • Logan Ryan is a slot CB at this stage of his career. Not a great fit.
                          • You didn't mention Amukamara, but he should be considered on a short deal. I'd rather sign him, let Mills walk, and draft two more CBs, in addition to signing a CB1.
                          • AJ Green will be 32 on opening day, and hasn't played a snap since December, 2018. Screw that.
                          • Robbie Anderson is possible, but his behavior and arrest record should absolutely be a consideration before giving him $10+M a year.
                          • Emmanuel Sanders will be 33 on opening day.
                          • Demarcus Robinson is a WR4/Special Teamer. Not a premier FA by any stretch.
                          • You missed Perriman. That's the WR I want, but at around $7M, he doesn't preclude them from signing a Tier 1 player like Jones, Schobert, or Anthony Harris.

Of the names you have here, and the ones I added, Bryon Jones is still a clear, obvious fit for the Eagles among the premier players available. There are other player combinations that work too, but I promise you, Bryon Jones is one of several priority targets for Roseman. I have zero doubt about that.
                          There are tons of other FA's we aren't exactly football scouts. I doubt blowing nearly 40% on your remaining cap space on 1 player is a great idea when you yourself said we have so many holes to fill. PS, you brought up the DT position as a need not me lol

and did I mention, 'FUCK NO TO ALL COCKROACHES'!!!

Comment

[LIST]

but I promise you, Bryon Jones is one of several priority targets for Roseman. I have zero doubt about that.
                            and just like all other COCHROACHES, he will not work out either! Stay in Dallas. Dude couldn't even help stop our JV team in the last game.

Comment

lets really get into the weeds on Jones and see just how MONSTER of a year this dude had in 2018 shall we;

TARGETS ALLOWED: 92 - RANKED 57th
                              TARGETS ALLOWE PER GAME: 5.8 - RANKED 42nd
                              TARGET RATE: 18.3% 6th
                              TARGET SEPRATION: 0.98 yards - RANKED 30th
                              RECEPTIONS ALLOWED: 56 - RANKED 56th
                              YARDS ALLOWED: 703 - RANKED 59th
                              YARDS PER RECEPTION: 12.6 0 RANKED 48th
                              YARDS PER TARGET: 7.6 - RANKED 45th
                              PASS BREAK-UPS: 14 - RANKED 2nd
                              TDS ALLOWED: 2 - RANKED 13th
                              COVERAGE RATE: +22.5 - RANKED 24th
                              BURN RATE: 4.3 - RANKED 79th
                              CATCH RATE ALLOWDED: 60.9% - RANKED 38th
                              PASSER RATING: 87.4% - RANKED 33rd
                              (I will give him credit for his PBU's but TD's being low could be due to the fact that he allowed for so much down the field that the opposing teams pounded the rock into the endzone. If this is what a MONSTER year looks like, shit you might as well fucking keep Mills instead of dish out $15mill on this dude!)

Comment

An unsourced, unlinked copy/paste dump isn't really getting into the weeds. How did all of your other suggested CBs stack up with the mystery statisticians behind those numbers? Or have you not gotten into the weeds with them yet.

If we've reached the stats in a vacuum portion of the discussion, this is gonna get real dull, real quick.

Comment

Working...
                                X