Why Howie may not draft a WR in the first round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Howie may not draft a WR in the first round

Sorry so long. I know it’s too early to report a boom or bust on these wideouts but I still think this breakdown is worth noting. I'm not saying they shouldn't draft a wide receiver in the first round but I do think there's a good chance they don't.

Last year, would you rather have Marquise Brown or N’Keal Harry in the first round or Deebo Samuel, DK Metcalf, or AJ Brown in the second round or Terry McLauren in the third round? JJ Arcega-Whiteside in the second was most likely a miss.

In 2018, would you rather have DJ Moore or Calvin Ridley in the first round or Courtland Sutton, Christian Kirk, Anthony Miller or DJ Chark in the second round or Michael Gallop in the third round?

In 2017, would you rather have Corey Davis, Mike Williams, or John Ross in the first round or JuJu Smith Schuster or Curtis Samuel in the second round or Cooper Kupp, Chris Godwin, or Kenny Golladay in the third round? Mack Hollins in the fourth and Sheldon Gibson in the fifth were busts.

In 2016, would you rather have Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, or Laquon Treadwell in the first round or Michael Thomas or Tyler Boyd, or Sterling Shepard in the second round?

Here’s what I’ve noticed over the last few years.
    • The first round is not really that impressive. The second and third round appears to have produced more talent.
    • Unless, a player drops due to domestic violence or something, it’s pretty much worthless to draft a wideout after the third round. The success rate is too small to even bother regardless if this is a ‘deep’ wideout draft or not.
    • Howie really shit the bed in 2017. The one year he decides to draft two receivers, he chooses those two turds. Almost as bad as choosing Donnel Pumphrey this year.
    • Howie (not Chip) just doesn’t have the history of drafting a wideout in the first round. That philosophy may not be as bad as we think. I know I would never draft a running back in the first round. I may be starting to think the same about wide receivers.
    • Once you have a quarterback, it’s really a good draft strategy to draft a lineman in the first round every year. The rest of the positions are second round value tops (including cornerbacks).
    • Always expect the unexpected with Howie.

In a draft where so many people are predicting that there are 7 rounds of legit WR talent, they're dicks if they take one in the first round. Either line, or a corner is just fine. If they need to go outside the box, take a linebacker.
    -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

You know what’s going to happen. It’ll be an edge rusher.
      John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
        Sorry so long. I know it’s too early to report a boom or bust on these wideouts but I still think this breakdown is worth noting. I'm not saying they shouldn't draft a wide receiver in the first round but I do think there's a good chance they don't.

Last year, would you rather have Marquise Brown or N’Keal Harry in the first round or Deebo Samuel, DK Metcalf, or AJ Brown in the second round or Terry McLauren in the third round? JJ Arcega-Whiteside in the second was most likely a miss.

In 2018, would you rather have DJ Moore or Calvin Ridley in the first round or Courtland Sutton, Christian Kirk, Anthony Miller or DJ Chark in the second round or Michael Gallop in the third round?

In 2017, would you rather have Corey Davis, Mike Williams, or John Ross in the first round or JuJu Smith Schuster or Curtis Samuel in the second round or Cooper Kupp, Chris Godwin, or Kenny Golladay in the third round? Mack Hollins in the fourth and Sheldon Gibson in the fifth were busts.

In 2016, would you rather have Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, or Laquon Treadwell in the first round or Michael Thomas or Tyler Boyd, or Sterling Shepard in the second round?

• The first round is not really that impressive. The second and third round appears to have produced more talent.
        • Unless, a player drops due to domestic violence or something, it’s pretty much worthless to draft a wideout after the third round. The success rate is too small to even bother regardless if this is a ‘deep’ wideout draft or not.
        • Howie really shit the bed in 2017. The one year he decides to draft two receivers, he chooses those two turds. Almost as bad as choosing Donnel Pumphrey this year.
        • Howie (not Chip) just doesn’t have the history of drafting a wideout in the first round. That philosophy may not be as bad as we think. I know I would never draft a running back in the first round. I may be starting to think the same about wide receivers.
        • Once you have a quarterback, it’s really a good draft strategy to draft a lineman in the first round every year. The rest of the positions are second round value tops (including cornerbacks).
        KJ Hamler will be there in the 2nd round and he is the next Desean Jackson without the attitude. So far we did pretty well with Penn State guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post
          You know what’s going to happen. It’ll be an edge rusher.
          I would be fine with that.
          “I am going to literally sodomize you on the field of battle. I am going to have non-consensual sex with your face and your butt. Then I’m going after your wife and kid”

Comment

As of right now, my money would be on the edge rushers: Chaisson, Epenesa, or Gross-Matos. I think they will try and make a splash but choke when someone jumps ahead of them or something. The goal in this draft is to find at least two receivers. That's not likely to happen if they wait until later in the draft. Next season, they will most likely have to make a trade to bring in the next Jeffery.

Comment

As of right now, my money would be on the edge rushers: Chaisson, Epenesa, or Gross-Matos. I think they will try and make a splash but choke when someone jumps ahead of them or something. The goal in this draft is to find at least two receivers. That's not likely to happen if they wait until later in the draft. Next season, they will most likely have to make a trade to bring in the next Jeffery.
              Out of the top 7 or 8 receivers, I'm fine as long as they get one of them.

Now, eagles thinking is hoping there is a rush and maybe one of the talented dline, oline or even safeties drop to them.

They could surprise and go wideout first round but I just don't believe it till I see it. Rookie will wideouts are usually below average first year.

We'll see anyways. Not saying they shouldn't take one 1st round, but said receiver will probably underwhelm 1st year.
              “I am going to literally sodomize you on the field of battle. I am going to have non-consensual sex with your face and your butt. Then I’m going after your wife and kid”

Comment

I have safeties, right up there with linebackers, in regards to positions I think Howie won't ever draft in the first round. I think he would rather trade back into the second round before he drafts those positions in the first. I can't argue with that philosophy.

Comment

Good post. I’d personally like to see Murray or Ruiz in the 1st. That’s just me. It’s gonna be an interesting one...

Comment

Originally posted by Ground_Meat View Post

Good post. I’d personally like to see Murray or Ruiz in the 1st. That’s just me. It’s gonna be an interesting one...
                    While I did mention Howie valuing lineman, I'm not sure Centers are part of that first round equation. Kelce was a sixth round pick, Jamaal Jackson, Hank Fraley, Nick Cole were all undrafted. I would be shocked if this team ever drafted a Center with a high pick. As far as Murray, we all know how much this team values linebackers.

Comment

I see this draft looking like the 2014 WR class. 4-5 will go first round with most of them being good to really good pros. 2 or 3 2nd rounders will be good with some “busts” sprinkled in so if you wait until the 2nd it could be a Devante Adams/Allen Robinson/Landry or you can end up with Jordan Matthews

If the top 4 WRs are gone by pick 21 I am okay with them not drafting one there but don’t repeat the Marcus Smith fiasco of 2014. Hoping it doesn’t come to this and they can get one of the top 4 with the 21st pick.

Comment

I have safeties, right up there with linebackers, in regards to positions I think Howie won't ever draft in the first round. I think he would rather trade back into the second round before he drafts those positions in the first. I can't argue with that philosophy.
                        I wonder what the ask is for Jamal Adams. Looks like he's on the block again. He's a top tier safety.
                        "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Good homework... It only makes me want them to trade out more...

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post

I wonder what the ask is for Jamal Adams. Looks like he's on the block again. He's a top tier safety.
                            While I like Adams, Minkah Fitzpatrick cost the Steelers a first. No way Howie values that position for a one along with a big contract.
                            Last edited by Snakebitten; 04-17-2020, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstealth View Post

Good homework... It only makes me want them to trade out more...
                              I think Howie will kick the tires on moving up a few spots if one of the top three wideouts drop. If they're gone, I could see him dropping back to the highest bidder. The one thing I do know, Howie is unpredictable in the first round. Outside of maybe Wentz, I can't think of the last time Howie picked a player that most of the fans or the media predicted. This year, the majority is picking Justin Jefferson. He's probably out.

Comment

Working...
                              X