No announcement yet.

Why Howie may not draft a WR in the first round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that there’s likely to be a few guys in the 2nd/3rd rounds who turn out to be good. That being said, I’m apprehensive that Howie can pick out the AJ Browns/Chris Godwins from the JJAWs/Mack Hollins’.

I get that guys like Mike Williams and Corey Davis have gone first round in the past, but I still think trading up for Jeudy/Lamb is the safest move Howie can make with respect to drafting a receiver this year.
    Larry and the Hipsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post

While I like Adams, Minkah Fitzpatrick cost the Steelers a first. No way Howie values that position for a one along with a big contract.
      Not to mention he’s going to cost a fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by SOS Crunchy View Post
        I agree that there’s likely to be a few guys in the 2nd/3rd rounds who turn out to be good. That being said, I’m apprehensive that Howie can pick out the AJ Browns/Chris Godwins from the JJAWs/Mack Hollins’.

I get that guys like Mike Williams and Corey Davis have gone first round in the past, but I still think trading up for Jeudy/Lamb is the safest move Howie can make with respect to drafting a receiver this year.
        How’d trading up for the best receiver work out for the Falcons?
        -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by SOS Crunchy View Post

I guess my point is that I really don't know if it's any safer than drafting two WRs with the first two picks. If Howie moves up for Jeudy or Lamb, it's most likely going to cost him a second at the very least. When I look at recent drafts, I think the odds of finding a quality receiver is the same in the first two rounds. If you also consider the fact that this team needs to find at least two receivers in this draft, it may makes sense to keep the picks.

I know I'm not pointing out something that most of these teams don't already know. I'm just hoping those teams drafting ahead of them are willing to adopt this philosophy and the right player drops. Also, the more I hear these rumors about the Eagles moving up the draft, the less likely I think it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post

How’d trading up for the best receiver work out for the Falcons?
            I won’t be upset if the birds get a Julio-type receiver at the beginning of his career in return for draft capital.
            Larry and the Hipsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post

I guess my point is that I really don't know if it's any safer than drafting two WRs with the first two picks. If Howie moves up for Jeudy or Lamb, it's most likely going to cost him a second at the very least. When I look at recent drafts, I think the odds of finding a quality receiver is the same in the first two rounds. If you also consider the fact that this team needs to find at least two receivers in this draft, it may makes sense to keep the picks.

I know I'm not pointing out something that most of these teams don't already know. I'm just hoping those teams drafting ahead of them are willing to adopt this philosophy and the right player drops. Also, the more I hear these rumors about the Eagles moving up the draft, the less likely I think it happens.
              I‘m not saying they won’t be busts, but my thoughts are that Jeudy and Lamb (personally like Lamb a lot) have a higher likelihood of not being B,C,Js than the rest, and I’d rather have Howie gamble on one of them than get 2 of the remaining WRs available, considering his lack of ability to find receiver talent through the draft in the past.

I agree that since the media is speculating about it, it likely won’t happen, but also think them picking 2 receivers in the first couple rounds is equally as likely them trading up.

Larry and the Hipsters.

Comment

I am a big fan of Lamb even though he played against some really bad Big 12 defenses. Where I'm stuck is how much of a drop off is he to Justin Jefferson. Is that drop off worth another second and probably a three? I'm just not sure. Typically, when a draft is this deep at one position, a surprise player or two will drop down the board. Things like 'durability' or 'lateral quickness' will scare teams away and depth at the position may make them go another route. That remaining player ends up with a chip on his shoulder and I'm hoping the Eagles double dip with that player in the second. I know it's unlikely but I'm just hoping this blind squirrel could find that nut. My opinion on what they should do changes daily.

Comment

Per Schefter...

49ers fielding calls on both their first-round picks, No. 13 and No. 31 overall, and are open to dealing either or both picks, per league sources. After 31, 49ers not scheduled to pick again until No. 156 in fifth round. No second-, third- and fourth-round picks. Want more picks.
                  It was only a matter of time until this rumor surfaced.

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/stat...91079857885187
                  Last edited by Snakebitten; 04-20-2020, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X