Honestly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Duck View Post

The Philly media resorting to hyperventilating emotionalism over a draft pick doesn't make it an affront to Carson. It could end up being a clusterfuck, in which case we're going to have some new football people in town. It could also actually work.

Everybody's dismissive of the "gadget" concept, like the guy's going to be on the field for 4 or 5 trick plays a year. Taysom Hill -- who's about a third of the athlete that Hurts is, and a tenth of runner -- produced 400 yards from scrimmage and 7 TDs last season. Pretty decent numbers for a gimmick. Helped the Saints win a bunch of games. When I talk about this possibly working, that's what I'm talking about. Hurts having actual production, scoring points, and helping them win games, while serving as insurance against injury or worse (a Luck scenario), and also being a longer term investment capable of a big payout in 2 or 3 seasons. I understand it might not work that way... but why is being completely closed off to the possibility that there's some upside here the default -- and the only acceptable --- position?

Again, I wouldn't have done this, it's not a risk I would have taken with so many potential contributors on the board. It has a slight stink of "smarter than you", which you know I loathe. But it's not the usual drafting of some obscure DIII guy from the back of a scout's notebook three rounds too early STY bullshit... it's not Jeremy fucking Bloom. Jalen Hurts is a legit ball player, and a winner, with an actual skill set that I can see translating into real production. I can see this working, because I can see the player pulling it off. He's that good. Therefore, since I can't change anything anyway, I'm going to accept it, give it a chance, and root for the guy I've liked all along anyway. I have enough in real life to be irritated about right now, I'm inclined to look for silver linings in the things that are supposed to bring me enjoyment. So that's what I'm going to do.
    Wrote this elsewhere ... you don't use the 53 for a part time gadget player/back up QB ... you use it for a full time starter ... and if you want Hurts to be a starter then, by implication, you either want a 34 mil/year player to get hurt or you want a QB controversy/replacement scenario during a bad stretch. I don't get it ... unless, as someone else suggests, there is a serious concern that Wentz will take an Andrew Luck powder now that he got paid.
    Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Everybody's dismissive of the "gadget" concept, like the guy's going to be on the field for 4 or 5 trick plays a year. Taysom Hill -- who's about a third of the athlete that Hurts is, and a tenth of runner -- produced 400 yards from scrimmage and 7 TDs last season. Pretty decent numbers for a gimmick. Helped the Saints win a bunch of games. When I talk about this possibly working, that's what I'm talking about. Hurts having actual production, scoring points, and helping them win games, while serving as insurance against injury or worse (a Luck scenario), and also being a longer term investment capable of a big payout in 2 or 3 seasons. I understand it might not work that way... but why is being completely closed off to the possibility that there's some upside here the default -- and the only acceptable --- position?
      I respect your opinion, but I think Hill is a gimmick, and I don't think he's putting up 400 and 7 outside of NO. In the 5 games that Bridgewater started last year, Taysom Hill completed 1 pass for 18 yards, caught 2 for 9, and and ran for 73 yards. Accounted for 1 TD. IMO Hill is a product of Payton's system/arrogance, and Drew Brees still playing incredibly well at age 40. We don't have a Payton/Brees dome offense. This is the Dolphins spending a 2nd on Pat White, except we have a 27-year old Wentz, not a 33-year old Pennington.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
        Taysom Hill was undrafted.
        Yep, that's a great UDFA. The Saint just put a first round tender on him.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
          This is the Dolphins spending a 2nd on Pat White, except we have a 27-year old Wentz, not a 33-year old Pennington.
          It might be exactly that. I'm just a much bigger fan of Hurts than any of these comps I'm hearing (Tebow, Hill, White).

Comment

Hurts was actually one of my favorite players in the draft. I liked him so much that every time I watched him, it bummed me out that we didn't need a QB.
            What do you like so much about him? I get that he's a winner and great guy. As I said elsewhere, I didn't see a ton of him last year. Did he improve markedly as a passer because he wasn't particularly good throwing the ball at Bama?
            Last edited by McCarthy12; 04-25-2020, 12:30 PM.
            "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post

What do you like so much about him? I get that he's a winner and great guy. As I said elsewhere, I didn't see a ton of him last year. Did he improve markedly as a passer because he wasn't particularly good throwing the ball at Bama?
              Same question. I don't follow college football but when I watch highlights of Hurts, he doesn't seem very fast, and he's just throwing to wide open dudes.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post

Wrote this elsewhere ... you don't use the 53 for a part time gadget player/back up QB ... you use it for a full time starter ... and if you want Hurts to be a starter then, by implication, you either want a 34 mil/year player to get hurt or you want a QB controversy/replacement scenario during a bad stretch. I don't get it ... unless, as someone else suggests, there is a serious concern that Wentz will take an Andrew Luck powder now that he got paid.
                I think the Luck thing became a factor the moment Clowney hit the back of Carson's head. Not only because he got paid, but because he's starting a family.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post

Read this and tell me its not a clusterfuck

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...tz-jalen-hurts
                  IT JUST FEELS LIKE ANDY REID AREA ALL OVER AGAIN.
                  DON'T NEED WEAPONS FOR OUR QB.

THE SHIT STORM, A PERFECT WAY TO PUT IT, IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN THIS YEAR. AS SOON AS RECEIVERS RUN WRONG ROUTES YET AGAIN, AND WENTZ MISSES THEM, PHANS ARE GONNA GO NUTS TO GET HIM OUT.
                  "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

I follow college football. He does everything well but know how to read a defense, follow his progressions, and has so-so accuracy. In other words, he struggles at being a typical QB and needs improvisation to have success. That should translate well in the NFL.

Now that being said, not every organization has QB Factory so they should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post

Yeah, his year over year improvement as a passer was impressive. Not that Heismans say anything about pro prospects, but he wins the thing most years with the season he had. I love the way he's handled himself after the benching, love that he's a student of the game who wants to get better & takes to coaching, absolutely love his athleticism. Consider that he's only 21, and look at how much he's dealt with, how much he's grown and improved. He just stands out to me as the kind of prospect that's going to benefit massively from NFL coaching. I'm with Baldinger on this one... I think he's got Russell Wilson potential.

Sometimes I just take to certain prospects... this year we happened to have drafted two of my three favorites (Swift was the third).
                      Last edited by The Duck; 04-25-2020, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Now that being said, not every organization has QB Factory so they should be good.
                        I could've lived without them saying that. A little less hubris would make my job of fluffing their out-of-left field head-scratchers a little easier.

I generally agree with your assessment of where Hurts is now, except the year over year growth, and the improvements he made as the season progressed stood out to me. He came a long way over the course of his college career.

Comment

I have never been more angrier over a draft than I am with this one. This was the year Howie was supposed to take care of Wentz. We're talking about a draft where there's an abundence of wideouts. I was ok that he ignored the position in free agency. This was where he needed to make amends. He drafted Hurts instead.

Comment

Won the Lombardi because of a good backup. Won a playoff game (almost 2) because they had a good backup. One-and-done in a 1-score game last year -- and didn't even stand a chance because they didn't have a competent backup.

3 of 4 NFL seasons Wentz hasn't finished because of injury. Missed over half of his games his last year at NDSU. That's 4 out of 5 years he's had serious injury concerns.

We've seen so many NFL teams' seasons go down the tubes because they lose their starting QB. Pittsburgh and Carolina last year alone. So many others in recent history.

Given this, is it really insane for them to invest a 2nd rounder in the QB position?

It's perplexing given the needs they have, sure. But I'm going to wait and see before I join some of you jumping off the Walt Whitman.

Comment

I have never been more angrier over a draft than I am with this one. This was the year Howie was supposed to take care of Wentz. We're talking about a draft where there's an abundence of wideouts. I was ok that he ignored the position in free agency. This was where he needed to make amends. He drafted Hurts instead.
                              How many players around him does this guy need? He had the best TE group, the best line, good backs and the receivers were fine until the injuries. Everyone was talking SB before last season so it's not like the fans thought there was no talent. All of this bullshit about getting him players and taking care of him really shows that even his biggest fans know he sucks and they don't want to be proven wrong. The fans and media were trying to trade two number ones for a corner last year, which would've really been a fireable offense for a GM, just because they thought it would get Wentz to the playoffs so that they didnt have to hear it from the Foles fans. It's over. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by joydivision View Post
                                The pick was funny, but so are reactions around here
                                Just like it is every year.

Comment

Working...
                                X