Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many more seasons will Wentz be the QB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many more seasons will Wentz be the QB?

I’m setting the O/U at 2. Did you see how giddy Howie and Doug were? They drafted Hurts at 53 because they think he can be a franchise QB. Not to be a gimmick or a career backup.

If they think Hurts is a franchise QB, they'll all be gone in two or three years.

Comment

Could very well play out that way. But I don’t think for a second that Lurie didn’t sign-off on that pick.

Comment

Originally posted by rothdawg View Post
        I’m setting the O/U at 2. Did you see how giddy Howie and Doug were? They drafted Hurts at 53 because they think he can be a franchise QB. Not to be a gimmick or a career backup.
        Maybe they think he can be a franchise QB, but not for us. They think they're emulating FF or the Cheatriots with the QB flipping thing but the value was abysmal with plenty of Day-1 starters still on the board.

I understand the idea of having a cost-controlled, quality backup QB where they usually invest a pretty significant portion of the cap but with so many holes it was a ridiculous and classic smarter than you pick to make. I just can't imagine Joe Douglas letting Howie make that pick.

We'll see what happens today but it's made even worse by the draft hauls of teams like Dallas and NY.

Comment

0 or 1. Seen enough. Will find some way to move on. Idk how but there’s no logical explanation otherwise.
          Charismatic megafauna.

Comment

The funny thing is, if they "hit" on Hurts, it means they missed on the Wentz trade, Howie's biggest move as GM. So you have 14, 16, and 17 drafts being basically useless under Howie. Better hope Dillard pans out and they figure out what to with Goedert...

Comment

Originally posted by ishimonster View Post

Maybe they think he can be a franchise QB, but not for us. They think they're emulating FF or the Cheatriots with the QB flipping thing but the value was abysmal with plenty of Day-1 starters still on the board.

This is why I don’t think their intention is to groom and trade. They know its very unlikely they would get better value than the 53rd pick in the draft.

Comment

This is why I don’t think their intention is to groom and trade. They know its very unlikely they would get better value than the 53rd pick in the draft.
                I just think their "value" is in having a backup that can win stretches of games even into the playoffs. At minimum they don't trust Carson to stay healthy. But I think any idea of trading him is ridiculous. That's not what this is. To me it's just arrogance and bad valuation.

Comment

Originally posted by ishimonster View Post

I understand the idea of having a cost-controlled, quality backup QB where they usually invest a pretty significant portion of the cap but with so many holes it was a ridiculous and classic smarter than you pick to make. I just can't imagine Joe Douglas letting Howie make that pick.

We'll see what happens today but it's made even worse by the draft hauls of teams like Dallas and NY.
                  You people need to deal with it. They just drafted his replacement so he's done here as soon as they think Jalen is ready. Look, you were all wrong and he's not going to win a Super Bowl here or anywhere else.

Comment

10 years, Jalen Hurts stinks as a QB

Comment

I think they saw a 40-year-old with one hamstring barely lose to the Seahawks last year and thought they could use some options.

Just go balls to the wall with Hurts. Put him on the field 30+% of the time as a WR/RB. Maybe they'll build the ultimate mind fuck offense.

I respect what Wentz did last year, but I don't mind having another guy with potential around.
                      -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

I wonder if this pick is because we are close to an 18 game schedule. That may introduce load management to the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by 1960 View Post
                          I wonder if this pick is because we are close to an 18 game schedule. That may introduce load management to the NFL.
                          This is a good guess. 14/32 teams are now making the playoffs too. An injured starting QB doesn’t mean the season is lost anymore.

Comment

I think the plan is for Wentz to be the QB for a long time. I don't think the Hurts pick is about him being the future starter, taysom hill, or worse case scenario being the guy because Wentz pulls a Luck.

The front office has said for years that they believe in investing heavily into the QB position, which they've been doing for years. Remember when they brought Foles back the thought process from Howie was "is this a guy, that if need be, could win a playoff game/super bowl?". Ideally Hurts will never see the field, but history tells us that he will and recent history tells us it will be in a high stakes moment.

For the record I don't like the pick and am not defending it - but I do understand it, especially with this FO's philosophy combined with the results these last few seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Triple Dip View Post
                              I think the plan is for Wentz to be the QB for a long time. I don't think the Hurts pick is about him being the future starter, taysom hill, or worse case scenario being the guy because Wentz pulls a Luck.

The front office has said for years that they believe in investing heavily into the QB position, which they've been doing for years. Remember when they brought Foles back the thought process from Howie was "is this a guy, that if need be, could win a playoff game/super bowl?". Ideally Hurts will never see the field, but history tells us that he will and recent history tells us it will be in a high stakes moment.

For the record I don't like the pick and am not defending it - but I do understand it, especially with this FO's philosophy combined with the results these last few seasons.
                              This is the most reasonable take I have seen anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X