Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles kick off coverage teams are gonna be fast

Speed factory

It's sad that Howie literally prioritized speed over actually being a good wide receiver. He literally traded for fucking Marquise Goodwin. Didn't this team have a bigger problem of having receivers that couldn't actually catch the ball? Oh well.

Comment

They swapped 6ths with the 49ers and then got the guy to cut his salary by over 2M.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyuk View Post
        They swapped 6ths with the 49ers and then got the guy to cut his salary by over 2M.
        A guy who was productive two seasons ago (playing 2/3 of his games with Brian Hoyer and CJ Bethard), before he had a rash of injuries and lost two kids. There's next to no risk in the move. Nobody has to be super excited about it, but hating on it seems pointless. If he's healthy, he gets a fresh start in a new city with the best QB he's ever played with.

Comment

Where does he fit? You just drafted three track stars to go with DJax. Is he that much of an upgrade? This draft had plenty of wideouts that I'd rather see take up that roster spot. I'm sure one of them could put up better than 12 receptions,186 yards, and 1 TD over 9 games. If you're dying to bring in a vet, bring in a possession receiver (he certainly can't/won't draft one).

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebitten View Post
            Where does he fit? You just drafted three track stars to go with DJax. Is he that much of an upgrade? This draft had plenty of wideouts that I'd rather see take up that roster spot. I'm sure one of them could put up better than 12 receptions,186 yards, and 1 TD over 9 games. If you're dying to bring in a vet, bring in a possession receiver (he certainly can't/won't draft one).
            I'm not shitting on it but really... I don't see how this team is better right now.
            Last edited by Greenstealth; 04-26-2020, 05:20 PM.

Comment

I was really looking forward to this draft because I thought it was almost foolproof with how deep the wideout position was. Everything lined up perfectly. They could have traded up and gotten Lamb. Nope. They could have drafted Jefferson. Nope. They could have traded back and still got the guy they wanted. Nope. They could have drafted a couple of wideouts early just to make sure Howie finally gets it right. Nope. They just needed to draft a player in the correct round. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Since Howie is draft-challenged, he needed to hit on the first three rounds. He overdrafted every one of them.

To top it off, he trades for this stiff.

Comment

Right now, he fits in a camp fight with Ward and two rookies. Desean, JJ, and Reagor are locks. Ward, Goodwin, Watkins, Hightower, and the rest of the camp bodies are fighting for three roster spots. We also have a history of bringing in veterans after the draft, that could be a possession guy to push JJ. Plus there's the possibility of Alshon coming back after week 6.

As far as Goodwin being an upgrade, I'd say he should be over what we were putting out there over last two seasons if he's good enough to make the team. If everybody stays healthy, Desean and Reagor are going to alternate at Z and Y. But there's no good reason to expect everybody to stay healthy, that doesn't happen to us. I think the redundancy is in response to the injuries. If a guy goes down, you have some interchangeable parts, the game plan doesn't have to be radically altered. As long as the whole WR room doesn't get the rona, we're going to have someone to stretch the field.

My best guess is, it shakes out something like:

Desean
                JJAW
                Reagor
                Goodwin
                Ward or veteran FA
                Watkins (inactive)
                Hightower (PS)

Ward will have a better shot at sticking if JJAW asserts himself and shows he can play.
                If they have to hedge against JJ being a bust, Ward gets sacrificed and they keep the veteran possession receiver around until Alshon gets back, and a legit X becomes a '21 priority.

I think that second complimentary receiver we all wanted early didn't happen because they're betting on JJ being that guy. The two later-round developmental guys are just that... totally unrelated to any immediate need for BCJJ insurance.

Comment

If Goodwin is an upgrade after free agency and this draft, we have a problem. That's ok, we can agree to disagree. I know I'm going to hear it if he scores a TD. I just realized there's at least three people on here that have went through my previous posts over the years so I'm sure they'll bookmark this thread. The one positive is that they will have this to look forward to. It's my fault for even wasting our times by discussing this player anyway. This team has bigger issues.

Comment

If Goodwin is an upgrade after free agency and this draft, we have a problem. That's ok, we can agree to disagree. I know I'm going to hear it if he scores a TD. I just realized there's at least three people on here that have went through my previous posts over the years so I'm sure they'll bookmark this thread. The one positive is that they will have this to look forward to. It's my fault for even wasting our times by discussing this player anyway. This team has bigger issues.
                    Bryce Treggs and Gizmo Williams scored TDs in the NFL. Give me a little more credit than that. If we have a handful of guys in the 700/5 TD range and 11-13 wins, I might talk a little. But usually, once the season starts and the emotions kick in, I switch from Bobby UK to Anthony as soon as the bullets start flying. Geighbacks aren't my bag.

Comment

Originally posted by The Duck View Post

Bryce Treggs and Gizmo Williams scored TDs in the NFL. Give me a little more credit than that. If we have a handful of guys in the 700/5 TD range and 11-13 wins, I might talk a little. But usually, once the season starts and the emotions kick in, I switch from Bobby UK to Anthony as soon as the bullets start flying. Geighbacks aren't my bag.
                      You've taken a positive outlook to this, how long do you think the eagles can let Howie keep fucking up? I understand not every move is going to work but Howie has been on a shitty run... The lb spot is a joke. Corey Nelson? The lj fort debacle? What about the decision to roll with ajayi? Signing Mike wallace? Guaranteeing Alshons money? Smoke building around Dillard? There's more but that's just in the last two seasons. That Hurts pick is a fireable offense. Watching Carson drag that dreck through a season and to turn around and get a qb in the second round instead of a player who can, you know play every down on the field is egregious. When does Howie's seat get warm?

Comment

This draft wrecked me. I thought Wentz was finally going to get his fair share of young weapons to grow with and he gets a backup QB and bunch of questionable receivers. I'll eventually get over it but it's hard not to see this as a big missed opportunity.

Update: Just read they signed Arizona quarterback Khalil Tate as an undrafted free agent as a wide receiver. Oh boy. QB turned WR Factory.
                        Last edited by Snakebitten; 04-26-2020, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstealth View Post

You've taken a positive outlook to this, how long do you think the eagles can let Howie keep fucking up? I understand not every move is going to work but Howie has been on a shitty run... The lb spot is a joke. Corey Nelson? The lj fort debacle? What about the decision to roll with ajayi? Signing Mike wallace? Guaranteeing Alshons money? Smoke building around Dillard? There's more but that's just in the last two seasons. That Hurts pick is a fireable offense. Watching Carson drag that dreck through a season and to turn around and get a qb in the second round instead of a player who can, you know play every down on the field is egregious. When does Howie's seat get warm?

Not all of those things you listed are on him. Like the LJ Fort deal... Howie actually identified a pretty good player. One of the coaches (Flajole or Schvantz, I forget) just didn't like him and wouldn't put him out there. At that point, releasing him to preserve the comp pick was all Howie could do. Definitely a clusterfuck, but not entirely Howie's.

2018 sucked all around. Nelson, Ngata, Worley, the Tate deal, Wallace... sucked. I know they had money issues and next to no draft picks, but they missed every swing they took. Indefensible offseason.

We'll see about Dillard. There may be smoke, but they didn't use a premium pick on insurance, and they're perfectly willing to let Peters find a deal elsewhere. Their actions say they're comfortable rolling with him. And I really think Kempski and Gowton (who are beating the "Dillard is soft" drum the loudest) are clickbait hacks who are blowing a rookie camp fight way out of proportion. We'll see what happens, but I kind of trust Stoutland to make it work.

​​​​​​This draft is going to go a long way in determining Howie' fate, especially with all of the picks we had. If the players we passed on are running circles around the players we took in this draft -- like the JJ vs. Metcalf deal -- and we're not winning playoff games, I could see Howie being replaced after the 2021 season. Likewise if we end up with a QB controversy that drags the team down as a result of the Hurts pick... and if that happens, Doug's seat might start warming up too, because he was right there with Howie on that decision.

Comment

Working...
                          X