Play Calling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play Calling?

I still can't get over the fact that it appeared Doug didn't do enough (or maybe anything) to help Wentz and the entire offense in the second half.

As the HC and OC, you have to see that the QB is under constant pressure, locking onto targets too early, and holding the ball way too long. Sure, the run and screen game are typically the first stop to help but they were also "off", and not working. Isn't this the point when you throw in some jet sweeps, reverses, or QB rollouts? At the least, have the threat of a jet sweep or reverse by running Reagor past in the opposite direction to create some additional action. Maybe this give adds some spring to the run game or opens some holes to gives your struggling line and QB a boost? It is clear that without Sanders they wanted everything on Wentz, but why not call some second half plays to move the pocket or even a called QB draw. Heck, Wentz was getting sacked and hit constantly anyway. If he's gonna get hit, let it happen while he is running forward gaining some positive yardage (no need to remind me of the 2017 injury). Basically, I was looking for anything from Doug that made it appear he was adjusting or trying to create an offensive spark. The only thing I recall was a couple of WR screens and the backside screens that were incomplete. Nothing to see there and nothing outside of what is normally in the playbook. It was the first game of the season, did they have something fresh and ready to dial-up for a time of need? If so, I think the middle of the 3rd quarter or early in the 4th was time to call it.

Did I miss something or does anyone agree we needed some creative play calling to wake up the struggling offense?

All very valid points...how about a bootleg and add in a little toss to a back? (Rams did it all night to Cowboys) Even a roll out...play calling indeed

Comment

Originally posted by QuakeTen View Post
      I still can't get over the fact that it appeared Doug didn't do enough (or maybe anything) to help Wentz and the entire offense in the second half.

As the HC and OC, you have to see that the QB is under constant pressure, locking onto targets too early, and holding the ball way too long. Sure, the run and screen game are typically the first stop to help but they were also "off", and not working. Isn't this the point when you throw in some jet sweeps, reverses, or QB rollouts? At the least, have the threat of a jet sweep or reverse by running Reagor past in the opposite direction to create some additional action. Maybe this give adds some spring to the run game or opens some holes to gives your struggling line and QB a boost? It is clear that without Sanders they wanted everything on Wentz, but why not call some second half plays to move the pocket or even a called QB draw. Heck, Wentz was getting sacked and hit constantly anyway. If he's gonna get hit, let it happen while he is running forward gaining some positive yardage (no need to remind me of the 2017 injury). Basically, I was looking for anything from Doug that made it appear he was adjusting or trying to create an offensive spark. The only thing I recall was a couple of WR screens and the backside screens that were incomplete. Nothing to see there and nothing outside of what is normally in the playbook. It was the first game of the season, did they have something fresh and ready to dial-up for a time of need? If so, I think the middle of the 3rd quarter or early in the 4th was time to call it.

Did I miss something or does anyone agree we needed some creative play calling to wake up the struggling offense?
      All very valid points as to why many believe he needed help at the OC position. Not saying Reich or Defilippo were the masterminds but possible those 2 helped install the offense and shape the game plan ever week. Seems like he has been regressing as a play caller ever since they walked. Maybe they were a great team and he got too much credit. Maybe the 3 were great like a 3 headed monster in the backfield.

Comment

Play action was working in the beginning. Until the defense realized that the run game sucked, and they could rush with extreme prejudice. By then, play action stopped woring, screens stopped working, and there was basically no pocket to speak of. You would have thought an adjustment to get Wentz moving away from pressure would have been a smart thing. But non-adjustment is a familiar tune with this offense these days.

Comment

It's very difficult for me to think of another team that started a worse group of running backs, wide receivers, and offensive linemen, Just let that sink in. I'm talking about the entire league. That's very difficult to do. I get Wentz is an easy target but it's very difficult to overlook those crumb bums surrounding him.

Comment

Working...
          X