No announcement yet.

Flipping between the Birds and the Sixers last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think that's the perception that a lot of people have, i just disagree with it. here's an article that outlines it: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-take-so-long/

commercials have increased over the last 8 or so years. but in 1999, a game averaged 3:04. in 2016 it was 3:08. i just don't notice that differene while i'm watching a game. i would think the increase in commercials and penalties just reflects the faster pace and higher percentage of passing plays that we see in the NFL now compared to the past.

to your point on PI, i do think we've seen an increase in both players throwing their hands in the air and making a tim duncan face at the referee any time there is contact, but it doesn't look like there's much data on that.

Comment

There have been changes in the play clock that happened over time.
      45 seconds, then 30, now 25 between snaps. Refs spot the ball faster now too

The NFL also reduced halftime from 20 minutes to 15 to now 12 minutes. That's how they get more commercials in and still keep it close to 3 hours

They've dissected every second of the broadcast looking for ways to add commercial time and still have an allegedly watch-able game

"Halftime adjustments" are a joke. Its takes 3-5 minutes to get from field to the locker room and 3-5 minutes to get back. That leaves very little time for the coaches and players to do much of anything useful

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
        I don't get out of control at a game but I was within yelling distance of the ref and I let him have it. No profanity, though. It was ridiculous early in the game.
        I LOVED IT WHEN YOU TOLD HIM IF HE DOESN'T STOP WITH THE PENALTIES YOU WOULD COME DOWN THERE AND...... WHAT WAS IT..... CHEW YOUR LEG OFF?
        "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

Working...
        X