OT: The Good Lord Bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: The Good Lord Bird

Anybody watching this one? First two episodes were strong. I'm so fkkking old I thought it was Nick Nolte playing John Brown at first.
    Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

On my list after I finish the last half of Schitts Creek.
    I’ve heard it’s good.
    John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

meh
      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
        meh
        Too educational?

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post

Too educational?
          Hahahaha

EDITED TO ADD: To be fair ... I did not see the second episode because I didn't like Hawke's over the top performance and found the goofy vibe not in step with the subject matter (about which I was sufficiently educated before this artsy version of it).

However, I will check out the second episode and see if I like it more, while trying to get in the spirit of the production ... but if I still don't like it, I'm not going to say I do in the interest of seeming enlightened.
          Last edited by slag; 10-13-2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Does seem over the top until you consider the real John Brown. Might not be possible to go over the top portraying him.

Not much Hawke in the second episode although still the same goofy vibe. I don't expect that's going away. I take it that comes straight from the novel - which I haven't read.

Age of Jackson/Prelude to Civil War is a period I'm interested in so my opinion is biased. But all the reviews I've read have been good.

Comment

Because of this post, I watched half of episode 1 last night before crashing out. The JB character was over the top, and I’m not sure about the boy in the dress thing.
              500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

John Brown was real. He ignited the Civil War more or less. Killed slavers. Got hung. Didn't care. Little Onion was a plot device.

John Brown (May 9, 1800 – December 2, 1859) was an American abolitionist. Brown, who said that speeches, sermons, and petitions were accomplishing nothing, that "moral suasion is hopeless", saw violence as unfortunately necessary if slavery in the United States were to be eliminated. An intensely religious man who at one point studied for the ministry, and who effortlessly quoted the Bible from memory in his speeches (see John Brown's last speech), Brown felt that this was the work God had called him to do. He said repeatedly, after he was arrested, that he was following the Golden Rule.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John..._(abolitionist)

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd & Inches View Post
                  Because of this post, I watched half of episode 1 last night before crashing out. The JB character was over the top, and I’m not sure about the boy in the dress thing.
                  Rewatched the first two episodes and it definitely is over the top. But i believe that's the point of it. I recommend not quitting. It really is actual important history.

And if the second half of episode two doesn't rip you up ... well it got me.
                  Last edited by Maniac; 10-13-2020, 11:51 PM.

Comment

I just watched the second episode ... liked it better than the first.

Hawke continues to push the envelope but I'm getting into the campy violence as a kind of Tarantino approach (ie. Django, Inglorious Basterds, the end of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood) and I'm definitely going to watch the 3d one.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
                      John Brown was real. He ignited the Civil War more or less. Killed slavers. Got hung. Didn't care. Little Onion was a plot device.

John Brown (May 9, 1800 – December 2, 1859) was an American abolitionist. Brown, who said that speeches, sermons, and petitions were accomplishing nothing, that "moral suasion is hopeless", saw violence as unfortunately necessary if slavery in the United States were to be eliminated. An intensely religious man who at one point studied for the ministry, and who effortlessly quoted the Bible from memory in his speeches (see John Brown's last speech), Brown felt that this was the work God had called him to do. He said repeatedly, after he was arrested, that he was following the Golden Rule.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John..._(abolitionist)

John Barleycorn was real too. As was John Big Booty.

DB

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
                        I'm definitely going to watch the 3d one.
                        Episode 3 was a change of pace for sure. Never expected "The King of the Negroes" to be Zeke Elliott. I'm sticking with it though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottilie_Assing

Comment

Finished up this series on Sunday. Uneven but well worth the seven episode watch. Ethan Hawke went way over the top as John Brown. Would have liked a more nuanced portrayal. Although from what I have read, John Brown was not a particularly nuanced person.

Wish I could get Kelly Green's review.

Comment

Working...
                          X