Trouble in Paradise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble in Paradise

Looks like there’s a video clip floating around where Donahoe is pissed because Howie went off board again with the DT pick. Trying to hunt it down.
    John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/s...259696131?s=10

Comment

Greenstealth, I watched the video. Howie is a swarmy little Lurie ass-kisser and I could not stand to be around the little asshole.

Comment

Didn’t Howie question the depth of this years draft and emphasize that there is more talent in next years draft? If so, why trade down just to pick up an extra sixth round draft choice this year?
        ".........there is no experience in the NFL like walking out of the tunnel at the Vet and listening to the fans get on you for three solid hours. Those people invent new ways to abuse you every year." Bill Parcels on the Eagle's fans

Comment

His analytics are off the chart, which is why they picked him, but if you look at his highlight tape it's underwhelming which is why the scouts wouldn't be interested again illustrating the internal divide between them and Halaby's crew. The problem the Eagles have is that they are now relying on analytics so much but it really doesn't apply to picking football players as the stats don't translate. It's not like baseball where the numbers measure performance instead it's more like they are using physical fitness or mental acuity and thinking that it somehow applies to on the field results. This is why we wind up with this picks like this guy who is a physical freak but was a mediocre player or Wentz who was intelligent and had the look but had flaws with his personality and mechanics. Couple that with the nepotism, Reagor, and owner meddling, Arcega-Whiteside, and it explains why the talent level is so depleted.

Comment

Eagles are beyond terrible at picking wr and defensive backfield. Is that because they rely on analytics over scouting?
            ".........there is no experience in the NFL like walking out of the tunnel at the Vet and listening to the fans get on you for three solid hours. Those people invent new ways to abuse you every year." Bill Parcels on the Eagle's fans

Comment

Originally posted by Lar6767 View Post
              His analytics are off the chart, which is why they picked him, but if you look at his highlight tape it's underwhelming which is why the scouts wouldn't be interested again illustrating the internal divide between them and Halaby's crew. The problem the Eagles have is that they are now relying on analytics so much but it really doesn't apply to picking football players as the stats don't translate. It's not like baseball where the numbers measure performance instead it's more like they are using physical fitness or mental acuity and thinking that it somehow applies to on the field results. This is why we wind up with this picks like this guy who is a physical freak but was a mediocre player or Wentz who was intelligent and had the look but had flaws with his personality and mechanics. Couple that with the nepotism, Reagor, and owner meddling, Arcega-Whiteside, and it explains why the talent level is so depleted.
              The old “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane” quote comes to mind
              John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

My guess is Donahoe wanted the DT who went right before Williams.

I’m not gonna get too upset about these guys I’ve never seen play, but it seemed like they traded up long before 70 was up. Maybe if they’d waited longer they wouldn’t have gotten yet another dart to throw in the 6th round...

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfpack View Post
                  Eagles are beyond terrible at picking wr and defensive backfield. Is that because they rely on analytics over scouting?
                  It's all of the above. They don't value certain positions, they put so much weight on what happens at the Combine, which doesn't necessarily translate, and apparently having at least three different draft boards which causes mass confusion as well as what we saw with Donahoe yesterday and the scouts a few years ago when they openly scoffed at a WR pick. It's a vicious circle because the bad drafts beget more resources thrown at the same positions which means you can't then try to improve the less valued ones. Three straight years with high picks on WRs, plus signing D Jax as a FA, all because they don't know what they're doing.

Comment

And there's the nepotism.

Comment

There's no audio in the video. How do you know what the issue was? How do you know he went "off board"?
                      "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Originally posted by Melchior View Post
                        There's no audio in the video. How do you know what the issue was? How do you know he went "off board"?
                        Everyone has said that it appears he's saying to Howie he was available in the fourth.

Comment

Art had it right. The trade back fucked them out of McNeill. Not defending Howie, but choosing to trade down isn't really going off the board.

https://twitter.com/One2nv4/status/1...283381251?s=20
                          "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Ok, that last pick is interesting. They are designating him as a LB. He's by no means an off-ball LB. He played OLB/DE in college. I wonder if they're going to be running multiple fronts or transitioning to a 3-4 front.

Alim McNeill (the guy Donahoe was bitching about not getting) is a 2-gapping 3-4 NT. Marlon Tuipulotu is a similar player. If that's the case, I can understand him being pissed because they have no one right now that can play NT in a 3-4 front.

Comment

And here's the damage control: https://twitter.com/Eagles/status/13...218549255?s=20

Gannon appears to love the pick. I'm guessing stuff like this happens all the time. It just looks bad considering Howie's draft history.

Williams went exactly where he was projected to go, so it's not reasonable to call the pick a reach. But again, it's just the fact that this happened after they picked an interior OL with an injury history while Samuel, Moehrig, and JOK were still on the board.

Comment

Working...
                              X