Brandon Staley time out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brandon Staley time out

I thought it was a mistake. That game felt like it was settling into a tie. A lot of people are saying it didnt change anything since they ran anyway but I don't agree. It changed something about the feel of the game. Raiders were ready to take the tie.

Florio compared it to Belichick not calling a time out before the end of the Super Bowl where Seattle got cute and was intercepted.

Makes me think of Pederson rushing the play before the two minute warning against the Saints when Alshon muffed the catch.

Some things you gotta have a feel for. Screw the analytics.
    Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

That's how I read it as well. Raiders were settling for the tie at the end of OT and the Chargers blew it. I have never seen anything like it and it sucks we were all robbed of what would have been the most incredible tie in sports history.

Comment

The coach said it was a personnel related timeout which I believe. The coach should be blamed because he is a HC with a defensive background and couldn't stop an obvious run play to ice the tie - not because he took a timeout to get a different package on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Triple Dip View Post
        The coach said it was a personnel related timeout which I believe. The coach should be blamed because he is a HC with a defensive background and couldn't stop an obvious run play to ice the tie - not because he took a timeout to get a different package on the field.
        I think that was a crap excuse. The Raiders ran on the previous two downs. The run defense was already on the field. Another run was obviously coming.

And if Staley really was that concerned about having wrong personnel on the field, why give Carr twenty seconds to see that and snap the ball?

Sure they should have stopped the run. But that's an execution error. Calling the unnecessary time out was a pure coaching choke.

The Raiders were in run the clock out mode. The time out let them reconsider.
        Last edited by Maniac; 01-10-2022, 01:07 PM.

Comment

I don't see what the TO had to do with analytics. He called a TO because the defense was in disarray. The Raiders came back from the TO in a more obvious run formation.

If the Chargers don't call the TO, but the Raiders run for 10 on 3rd down, I think they still kick it. I don't think they kick the 56/57 yarder under any circumstance.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
            I don't see what the TO had to do with analytics. He called a TO because the defense was in disarray. The Raiders came back from the TO in a more obvious run formation.

If the Chargers don't call the TO, but the Raiders run for 10 on 3rd down, I think they still kick it. I don't think they kick the 56/57 yarder under any circumstance.
            The thing Im seeing is that analytics proponents generally are arguing that the time out was irrelevant to the result of the run. I just listened to Warren Sharp vehemently make that claim. He doesnt believe there was any psychological/attitude change resulting from the time out. No human factor.

On the other hand. I saw a Raider team that looked ready to take the tie but reconsidered once the Chargers stopped the clock.

No way to know, of course. Can only look at what happened.

Comment

Working...
            X