Here’s what my opinion is regarding Hurts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here’s what my opinion is regarding Hurts

He doesn’t suck, and anyone who starts out a discussion leading with that loses credibility in my book.

He was able to take a not great team to the playoffs and by doing that he has shown himself to be a credible NFL starter.

The question of how high a ceiling he has remains unanswered for me. I do think he will reach that ceiling, whatever that is. High enough ceiling to win a championship? IDK

i guess my biggest worry about him is that to me his body type might not be ideal for a QB and that is one thing no amount of coaching or work can change.

if you want to hedge your bets on him I think the best move would be to take one of those first rounders and use it to stockpile more picks. No way I would trade more than one of them, though.
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

I'm with ya on that. The guy needs to get more accurate on passing and get together with his receivers this off season.

Comment

I would definitely trade one of our 1st picks to next year

Comment

Agree. I would add that a QB needs to be able to process information quickly. I'm not sure that is something you can teach/coach for someone to get better.
        DB

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
          He doesn’t suck, and anyone who starts out a discussion leading with that loses credibility in my book.

He was able to take a not great team to the playoffs and by doing that he has shown himself to be a credible NFL starter.

The question of how high a ceiling he has remains unanswered for me. I do think he will reach that ceiling, whatever that is. High enough ceiling to win a championship? IDK

i guess my biggest worry about him is that to me his body type might not be ideal for a QB and that is one thing no amount of coaching or work can change.

if you want to hedge your bets on him I think the best move would be to take one of those first rounders and use it to stockpile more picks. No way I would trade more than one of them, though.
          Lol. Lot of zero credibility folks out there but those guys don't appreciate playoff appearances. If only Hurts had weapons and played a softer schedule. Put him with any of the other playoff teams and they are probably kicking off a dynasty.

Comment

I like Hurts, but I think we're seeing why this team approached the start of the season the way it did. Not really tanking, but letting Hurts prove himself, and in the worst case, drafting high. IMO the last thing they wanted was to go ~.500 with an unsustainable offense, but with the way the schedule set up, they basically stumbled into running the ball a lot against bad teams.

My biggest concern is the way he just doesn't pull the trigger when receivers are open. Maybe that will change. He had Quez wide open for a TD in the 1st quarter yesterday.

I'm not sure if a 34-year old Russell Wilson is worth the asking price. I'm back to thinking QB is a possibility in the draft, but that's not saying much considering there are maybe 3 positions I don't think they'll look at in the first round.

Comment

During the season, I read a lot of folks on here talk about his QBR. Specifically, during his good games. He ended the season #19** (right between Tagovailoa and Bridgewater). That seems like a pretty good spot of where he ranks. That being said, I wouldn't want either Tagovailoa or Bridgewater if my aspirations were winning a Super Bowl (Hurts had the second lowest QBR this weekend just ahead of Big Ben. Oof). The same goes with Hurts. He's the exact same player with the same deficiencies he had in college. The biggest strength of this team is the offensive line. He still came up small with time to throw. What's even more amazing is he actually made Reagor worse this year. I didn't think that was possible.

**By the way, for the Ringling Brothers, Wentz ended the season at #10 in regards to QBR (tied with Burrow). Prior to Covid, he was #7. Also, the Colts haven't beaten the Jags on the road since 2014 but let's just blame the QB. I'm sure you watched the entire game like I did. Honk honk.

Comment

I don't think he's the best passer that's for sure,,Judging a QB with 1 year of starting is hard,,Wentz looked like an NFL Qb after his 1st year...Shame his brain can't catch up to his Physical tools.

I like the starting Qb to be tall enough to see over the O line,,,Hurts has heart but he can't read a defense worth a shit pre snap or during play....Things that can be corrected,,,But his size and throwing motion over taller Dee linemen will always be an issue.. He doesn't look as lost as Wentz or hold the ball for 7, 8 seconds,,,He justs looks tiny out there, and misses wide open guys constantly.
                OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                "BFTR"

Comment

My opinion regarding Hurts is don't give him a five year $200 million contract extension over the off season. Is that being considered?

He was okay this year. Some good, some bad. I can't see any better option than to roll with him next season. I'm against giving up multiple first round draft picks for old QBs. And I don't want Howie playing "smartest guy in the room" and reaching for a QB in the draft. Keep building the roster. If Hurts doesn't show significant improvement next season, easy to move on.

All the kvetching seems performative and gratuitous.
                  Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by Dim Bulb View Post
                    Agree. I would add that a QB needs to be able to process information quickly. I'm not sure that is something you can teach/coach for someone to get better.
                    I would suggest that it is something that does get better with time, look at Josh Allen, who had two dismal seasons to start his career and is now a top notch QB. He said this year, his fourth in the league, was when the game 'slowed down' for him and he was able to see the whole field. I think Hurts has earned another year, his first full year had its ups and downs, but he is still young and learning. Go back and look at some great QBs early years, most, if not all, put up paltry numbers in the beginning of their careers. If you think Hurts is so bad, what would you think of a QB who started his first full season with 9 TDs 18 picks and a 54 QBR, would you consider him a bust? Those are Aikman's first year stats, not saying Hurts is like Aikman, but there is just no patience anymore. They need to get more talent on D and 1 or 2 Olinemen to prepare for Jason and Lane's eventual retirements.
                    The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe'

Comment

This draft is loaded with OL and defense players especially DBs. I don't see no glamorous picks for us just blue collar players which i love

Comment

“There is just no patience anymore”- Birdwatcher

100% agree. Drafting a QB in the first round would be a mistake, giving up more than one first round pick for a veteran QB would be a mistake. Let the kid start next season, and use the picks for all the other issues.
                        500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

Thing is, there are only about 10 - 12 QBs I’d definitely rather have than Hurts. And most of those are unattainable. And the 3 that are are prohibitively expense.
                          ".........there is no experience in the NFL like walking out of the tunnel at the Vet and listening to the fans get on you for three solid hours. Those people invent new ways to abuse you every year." Bill Parcels on the Eagle's fans

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfpack View Post
                            Thing is, there are only about 10 - 12 QBs I’d definitely rather have than Hurts. And most of those are unattainable. And the 3 that are are prohibitively expense.
                            I’ll ponder such a list myself
                            500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post

You are right in most cases, Hurts does not suck he has great running ability, escape, heart and intelligence. But he does not have the one thing a NFL Quarterback needs, ARM, has bad accuracy, ball skills and awareness, he does not see the field, he looks at one receiver and throws or runs. Michael Vick did that early in his career but corrected it, when he was an Eagle he was way better at looking over the field. Maybe Jalen could do that. I would much rather try another year of him than trade our 3 first rounders for an aging QB like Wilson or Rodgers. I do not even want to talk about Watson.

Comment

Working...
                              X